LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Ahmad Brooks let him go or keep him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Keep him!
Yeah, he plays the SAM position and in a watered-down 3-4 this year d/t installing a new system and having no offseason and this being his first season starting, he was one of our unsung and under-appreciated players. I challenge others to find another SAM OLB in the 3-4 who even came close to his production (and show me his salary).

It's not that he took every snap, played four positions, was 6th on the team in tackles, blah blah blah. To me, he was, by far our best run defender up at the LOS. Nobody ran on his side and they certainly didn't run off tackle. Leading the team in TFL is a HUGE stat, even more impressive than 8 sacks (had some huge hits)...he controls the LOS, seals the edge and funnels everything back to Willis/Bowman who racked up the stats. He was, like Justin Smith, the total team player this year and did all the little things including having a great attitude. He, like VD, have grown up and developed.

It would be very very rare for a rookie to step in next year and come close to this overall production. And for those who appreciate the play of the Haralson/Smith combo, again, you need to understand the team concept of defense...most of the year guys like Justin Smith & Ahmad Brooks were doubled teamed all year. If you truly watched the play of the DL & OLB, you'll see teams double-teaming these guys WHILE we played a straight up scheme and they STILL put up big numbers (certainly more than we had with yesteryear casts).

You have to keep guys like this...they allowed VF to devote more concentration to the secondary AND allowed guys such as Willis/Bowman to cover more as well. The front 5 absolutely dominated the run game. So I agree with those who say he may even be more valuable than an aging Rogers. I'd like to keep all of these guys though, myself. You don't want to start dismantling a NFL record-setting defense; you want to build layers on top of it (add more scheme/responsibility) and add depth. Do everything you can to sign him and see if he is a team guy. If he chooses to leave via FA, what more can you do?
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, he plays the SAM position and in a watered-down 3-4 this year d/t installing a new system and having no offseason and this being his first season starting, he was one of our unsung and under-appreciated players. I challenge others to find another SAM OLB in the 3-4 who even came close to his production (and show me his salary).

It's not that he took every snap, played four positions, was 6th on the team in tackles, blah blah blah. To me, he was, by far our best run defender up at the LOS. Nobody ran on his side and they certainly didn't run off tackle. Leading the team in TFL is a HUGE stat, even more impressive than 8 sacks (had some huge hits)...he controls the LOS, seals the edge and funnels everything back to Willis/Bowman who racked up the stats. He was, like Justin Smith, the total team player this year and did all the little things including having a great attitude. He, like VD, have grown up and developed.

It would be very very rare for a rookie to step in next year and come close to this overall production. And for those who appreciate the play of the Haralson/Smith combo, again, you need to understand the team concept of defense...most of the year guys like Justin Smith & Ahmad Brooks were doubled teamed all year. If you truly watched the play of the DL & OLB, you'll see teams double-teaming these guys WHILE we played a straight up scheme and they STILL put up big numbers (certainly more than we had with yesteryear casts).

You have to keep guys like this...they allowed VF to devote more concentration to the secondary AND allowed guys such as Willis/Bowman to cover more as well. The front 5 absolutely dominated the run game. So I agree with those who say he may even be more valuable than an aging Rogers. I'd like to keep all of these guys though, myself. You don't want to start dismantling a NFL record-setting defense; you want to build layers on top of it (add more scheme/responsibility) and add depth. Do everything you can to sign him and see if he is a team guy. If he chooses to leave via FA, what more can you do?

Entirely reasonable, I agree completely. If Brooks wants to stay and is willing to ask for a relatively acceptable salary, then by all means, he was a valuable part of the defense. If not then there are quite a few talented 3-4 OLB prospect's in the draft that the 49ers can choose from. Even if Brooks re-signs the 49ers would be wise to grab someone to develop with the future in mind or in case of injury.
NCommand, you are right on target. It's what I was saying in my original post. You don't find outsidebackers that can quickly pick up a 3-4 scheme and know all of the responsabilities. Aldon Smith was fantastic, but he didn't have to do any of the reading that the 3-4 has to do. He was used mostly as a true end. They kept it simple for him. I think Ahmad Brooks would be a huge loss for the team. Donte Whitner said they haven't even installed all of the defensive playbook yet.

"I see a lot of talk on the board that we need to upgrade this position, that because he wasn't a double digit sack guy he needs to go. I think people are not giving Ahmad brooks full value. It takes a lot to be a 3-4 outside backer and Aldon Smith didn't even play that role for us this year, we would have been exposed if he started. Haralson is underrated too. Also this was his first year as a full time starter as OLB with a new playbook. Don't you think this guy is going to get better? And if you do let him go, then we are superthin at OLB. I'm surprised we didn't have any injuries there.

7.5 sacks
46 pressures 3rd on the team
12 tackles for losses

However, I do believe the Niners will pick up another OLB/DE in the draft. I'm thinking 3rd, 4th round project with speed."
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Entirely reasonable, I agree completely. If Brooks wants to stay and is willing to ask for a relatively acceptable salary, then by all means, he was a valuable part of the defense. If not then there are quite a few talented 3-4 OLB prospect's in the draft that the 49ers can choose from. Even if Brooks re-signs the 49ers would be wise to grab someone to develop with the future in mind or in case of injury.

No question about it...we were VERY thin at OLB and we took a big risk (esp. running a 3-4) but it paid off. Smith got a lot of snaps and b/c of Haralson/Brooks, he could be brought along slowly and stayed fresh all year. We do need some fresh blood to continue to push these guys, give them rest (that goes for Justin Smith too) and grow/develop. It's funny, in some ways, Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith just played their rookie season. That's one hell of a rookie season no matter how you slice it! If we can keep Brooks, their upside is beyond bright (esp. when they play off each other - combined, they can rush from 5 different positions).
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
NCommand, you are right on target. It's what I was saying in my original post. You don't find outsidebackers that can quickly pick up a 3-4 scheme and know all of the responsabilities. Aldon Smith was fantastic, but he didn't have to do any of the reading that the 3-4 has to do. He was used mostly as a true end. They kept it simple for him. I think Ahmad Brooks would be a huge loss for the team. Donte Whitner said they haven't even installed all of the defensive playbook yet.

"I see a lot of talk on the board that we need to upgrade this position, that because he wasn't a double digit sack guy he needs to go. I think people are not giving Ahmad brooks full value. It takes a lot to be a 3-4 outside backer and Aldon Smith didn't even play that role for us this year, we would have been exposed if he started. Haralson is underrated too. Also this was his first year as a full time starter as OLB with a new playbook. Don't you think this guy is going to get better? And if you do let him go, then we are superthin at OLB. I'm surprised we didn't have any injuries there.

7.5 sacks
46 pressures 3rd on the team
12 tackles for losses

However, I do believe the Niners will pick up another OLB/DE in the draft. I'm thinking 3rd, 4th round project with speed."

I would say most are understanding that...it's easy to get caught up in the flash. We forget all the little things these guys do well beyond the stats (Brooks/J.Smith/Sopoaga) - they will collapse the pocket that leads to a sack/INT, instantly recognize a roll out pass and blow up field and force an incompletion in the RZ, take on two blockers and play off both to make a TFL, hustle down field, drop back in coverage well, line up at multiple positions, etc. So many times this year you would hear, "That won't show up in the stat sheet but X certainly made the play on that one!" That's team defense!
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM ]
No question about it...we were VERY thin at OLB and we took a big risk (esp. running a 3-4) but it paid off. Smith got a lot of snaps and b/c of Haralson/Brooks, he could be brought along slowly and stayed fresh all year. We do need some fresh blood to continue to push these guys, give them rest (that goes for Justin Smith too) and grow/develop. It's funny, in some ways, Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith just played their rookie season. That's one hell of a rookie season no matter how you slice it! If we can keep Brooks, their upside is beyond bright (esp. when they play off each other - combined, they can rush from 5 different positions).

That's why I'd love to see Kendall Reyes on the 49ers. The more I watch, the more I see a guy with a very similar motor to Justin Smith, hard worker and a guy that could give the 49ers a strong 3 man rotation at DE. I can't think of many players that have impressed me more than Reyes If they could get him, a 3-4 OLB, a CB and a WR, I'd consider the draft highly successful.

Great call...come draft time, I will be looking to your experts! No doubt...
Great call...come draft time, I will be looking to your experts! No doubt...

LOL, sorry, double-posted, couldn't find a way to delete.so I just..................

Too optimistic to believe Ahmad Brooks will simply settle for some moderate contract. Negotiators will poke at his ego and point out that he's in Aldon's shadow and that Parys has contract already. Depending on who we draft he may be shun out and offered a greater contract with a team willing to make him a more focal point of their defense. I want to emphasize I really hope we keep Brooks. Loved him in college and was pissed when the Bengals chose him first in the Supplemental draft. However I value Rogers and Goldson ahead of Brooks.
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
Too optimistic to believe Ahmad Brooks will simply settle for some moderate contract. Negotiators will poke at his ego and point out that he's in Aldon's shadow and that Parys has contract already. Depending on who we draft he may be shun out and offered a greater contract with a team willing to make him a more focal point of their defense. I want to emphasize I really hope we keep Brooks. Loved him in college and was pissed when the Bengals chose him first in the Supplemental draft. However I value Rogers and Goldson ahead of Brooks.

LOL.............."so you're saying Parys is the problem?......hold on a sec"...............*RING* *RING* *RING* "what up?" "Hey Parys, FYI we're releasing you, thanks, good luck and goodnight"..........."whaaaa...." CLICK..............okay Ahmad, what else you got?
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

LOL.............."so you're saying Parys is the problem?......hold on a sec"...............*RING* *RING* *RING* "what up?" "Hey Parys, FYI we're releasing you, thanks, good luck and goodnight"..........."whaaaa...." CLICK..............okay Ahmad, what else you got?

I just don't think it's that simple. I hope I'm wrong tho! I'm just saying Parys is under contract and Ahmad isn't. Unfortunately for him we have higher priorities

(not Larry Grant doe)
Realistically, the Niners will probably have to choose between Brooks and Rogers. I doubt they can re-sign both of these guys and still have money left over to take care of their other FAs, and it looks likely they will franchise Goldson.

A much as I like Rogers, I actually think that Brooks is more valuable to the team for the reasons many of you listed and because the Niners have Culliver to step in for Rogers. If the team loses Brooks, they really have a gaping hole at OLB. If it came down to it, I would actually choose to franchise Brooks over Goldson. I think he would be much harder to replace frankly.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM ]
could possibly plug grant in at Bowmans spot next to willis and let bowman have a go at outside backer which he played in college. He also seems to have a knack for getting pressure when he is sent after the QB.

I personally however would like to see brooks back. He had a large role in how dominate the front 7 was. Pay the man, but don't over pay him. If aldon didnt break out brooks would be our #1 free agent to resign. I would rather bring him back and let someone walk from the secondary as i think the secondary was a product of the front 7. I feel we need to keep everyone from the front 7, including the depth at those spots, for as long as we can.
Share 49ersWebzone