There are 185 users in the forums

Ahmad Brooks let him go or keep him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'd like him back. He will be cheaper than any other OLB out there that put up his numbers. He will still cost a bunch though. If he does leave we will have to draft an OLB high because even though Haralson played better last year I'm not sure I want him starting. There are some intriguing guys in the draft at OLB and I have confidence in our FO/coaches but you can't count on another Aldon Smith. I think we can re-sign Brooks and everyone else we want if we franchise Goldson. Most of the other players I can give you a guestimate of what they want for years/money wise but Brooks is really a question mark to me.

Not sure how updated this list is but I don't see anyone on there I would rather have:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012OLB.php

Mario Williams I don't think is on there but the Texans would be crazy to not re-sign or at least franchise him. Even if Barwin and Reed did well.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 4, 2012 at 2:55 AM ]
Keep him! I just hope they can work some magic and fit all of our good players under the cap.
I would really like to have him back. But we have so many guys to sign I just can't see keeping them all. I think he could be gone. And I will miss him. He's a very solid player. I like him. I hople we can find a way to keep him.
Not sure what our cap figure is for next season, but my thinking is that we should be able to keep him. However, we have to expect that Bowman is going to command a huge salary and we can't have every LB making big bucks. If we walks, hopefully we can pick up another player, similar to how we picked up Brooks years ago. We definitely need more depth at the OLB position.
I think Brooks is underrated, as well. Now that we've had some success, they'll have to figure out where to spend. We didn't really have too many serious injuries last season, and there really wasn't much depth on the team. There were a lot of special teams guys, but not much else. Grant stepped up when Patrick was out, but Morgan left a pretty good hole.
Just like the article said. At the right price. I like Ahmad Brooks. He was supposed to be a dominant LB and maybe this would have happened if he stayed at Virginia and developed more. He is a good player that I would like to keep but not overpay. We have too many other key defenders to sign.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:
KEEP HIM - if we really need cap room, cut Haralson!

agreed. Going 15 games without a sack, Haralson is just not that good.
[ Edited by Hopper on Feb 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'd like him back. He will be cheaper than any other OLB out there that put up his numbers. He will still cost a bunch though. If he does leave we will have to draft an OLB high because even though Haralson played better last year I'm not sure I want him starting. There are some intriguing guys in the draft at OLB and I have confidence in our FO/coaches but you can't count on another Aldon Smith. I think we can re-sign Brooks and everyone else we want if we franchise Goldson. Most of the other players I can give you a guestimate of what they want for years/money wise but Brooks is really a question mark to me.

Not sure how updated this list is but I don't see anyone on there I would rather have:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012OLB.php

Mario Williams I don't think is on there but the Texans would be crazy to not re-sign or at least franchise him. Even if Barwin and Reed did well.

If the Texans don't bring him back, he'd go play in a 4-3, IMO. The only way that would matter to us is that it might soften the market for Brooks a bit if Williams hits FA.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by kronik:
KEEP HIM - if we really need cap room, cut Haralson!

agreed. Going 15 games without sack, Haralson is just not that good.

he always seems to get a handful of sacks in the first few games, then fall off a cliff
I would rather resign brooks than either goldson or Rogers. With Brooks our OLB position lacks depth, without him our OLB position is missing it's only full time player from 2011.

Depends on salary
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Wow.....interesting takes. Isn't the OLB the key to the defense in the 3-4. The front seven is only as strong as the weakest link. Also Haralson doesn't suck, he's not the elite pass rusher we need but he's a solid player and forced a lot of fumbles. We aren't even sure Aldon can make the transition to full time OLB. I'd say, I'd give the guy chances, but that's a tough position to play.

I don't think the niners are going to break the bank for him that's for sure. Six Million a year seems a little high.

If all he wants is 6 million you bring him back in a second. Woodley got almost 10 million and was largely considered a hometown bargain after a very similar season (although more productive seaons previously, but Brooks has been adjusting to a new position).
If he goes, then the 49ers really do have to expend a 1st or 2nd rounder to pick another potential starter. Due to the attention that WR's and CB's are getting, I think some of the OLB's might slide a bit and there might be some highly talented guys available later than they rightfully should be.
Originally posted by crabman82:
he always seems to get a handful of sacks in the first few games, then fall off a cliff

The offsides penalties were pretty brutal this year, one thing that upset me about him, he racked up encroachment penalties like nobody's business.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Not sure what our cap figure is for next season, but my thinking is that we should be able to keep him. However, we have to expect that Bowman is going to command a huge salary and we can't have every LB making big bucks. If we walks, hopefully we can pick up another player, similar to how we picked up Brooks years ago. We definitely need more depth at the OLB position.

This. You can't break the bank just to keep everyone on board. Brooks is talented but not irreplaceable, Texans got Brooks Reed in the 2nd round last year and I'm sure 49ers fans would be absolutely tickled to have him in the lineup considering he puts up stats basically identical to Ahmad as a rookie.

There's talent out there and quite a few promising 3-4 OLB prospects for sure.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone