LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 328 users in the forums

Ahmad Brooks let him go or keep him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I see a lot of talk on the board that we need to upgrade this position, that because he wasn't a double digit sack guy he needs to go. I think people are not giving Ahmad brooks full value. It takes a lot to be a 3-4 outside backer and Aldon Smith didn't even play that role for us this year, we would have been exposed if he started. Haralson is underrated too. Also this was his first year as a full time starter as OLB with a new playbook. Don't you think this guy is going to get better? And if you do let him go, then we are superthin at OLB. I'm surprised we didn't have any injuries there.

7.5 sacks
46 pressures 3rd on the team
12 tackles for losses

However, I do believe the Niners will pick up another OLB/DE in the draft. I'm thinking 3rd, 4th round project with speed.
i think we need to resign him....very very solid player...you cant have a star at every position
I don't think we will be able to re-sign him... think it's gonna take 6 million to retain him... can't squeeze it, but wish we could.
6 million? Yeah see you later

This is exactly the kind of role that gets replaced by a young/CHEAP player. So your saving money & building for the future
I think he's the odd man out on this years FA priority list.

Sucks but that's the way it is.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Knowledge:
i think we need to resign him....very very solid player...you cant have a star at every position

I say also keep him as long as he doesnt want a super large contract. But its gonna be hard because we are already paying Pat big money, Aldon has a big contract and Bowman's deal is expiring after 2013. You can't have too much money tied up in LBs.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Knowledge:

I say also keep him as long as he doesnt want a super large contract. But its gonna be hard because we are already paying Pat big money, Aldon has a big contract and Bowman's deal is expiring after 2013. You can't have too much money tied up in LBs.

Aldon's contract is 4 yrs 14 million. Thats peanuts.
if we can draft someone like bowman or aldon again let him walk but also i think parys should go before brooks
Keep the focus on the Dline & Secondary. LB's can be filled in last especially with Willis
Originally posted by NinerNation:
if we can draft someone like bowman or aldon again let him walk but also i think parys should go before brooks

Agree. Won't stay unless he takes less money to stay.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KEGster:
6 million? Yeah see you later

This is exactly the kind of role that gets replaced by a young/CHEAP player. So your saving money & building for the future

Why cant we squeeze him for 6mil?
Alex: 10 mil
Rogers: 6 or 8 mil
goldson: franchised for 6.5
Brooks: 6 mill
----on the low that is 28 million on the high that is 30. Assuming Rogers get 8 a year that leaves us 13 million once we cut spencer.

Brock's and tukuafu's salary will probably be a combined 1M

thats 12 mill left

to devy up between Spillman, Snyder, Costanzo, Gooden, Morgan. They all command nothing more then a measly minimum salary being nice a 1.5 mil per year puts us with an even 6 Mil left.

I' haven't even touched Ginn yet and thats if we want him back or dont have to outbid another team for his services.

Unless I'm missing something we'd easily be able to retain all of them. Finding another "cheap option might save us 3M but I dont see a single free agent OLB that is worth our time besides Brooks or Jarret Johnson.

You know Alex and Rogers have both been vocal about keeping the team together, I'm sure they would each take pay cuts to ensure we field a team capable of playing. Hell I bet any or all of our superstarts: Vernon, Staley, Willis, Justin, or Whitner would do their part to make sure the team can succeed.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM ]
Originally posted by KEGster:
Keep the focus on the Dline & Secondary. LB's can be filled in last especially with Willis

I agree. We have a great group of LB's and a pretty amazing group on the D Line, what we need is some secondary players.
He's going to demand a lot, I remember seeing an article where he said no hometown discount. OLBs are going to be in demand, let him walk, PLEASE TRADE OR CUT HARALYSON ( He is horrible ), let Aldon Start, like Bowman did in his second year, and possibly slide Grant out to LOLB. Imaging that, 4 Stud LBS.

Oh, and Vote Alex for 2012!
It just depends on what he asks for.

Obviously, we can't have superstar, elite players at every linebacker position... but he's a very solid outside linebacker. If he asks to be paid as a solid starter, then he comes back. But if he wants to be paid a premium price, then we can't afford to pay him.
Wow.....interesting takes. Isn't the OLB the key to the defense in the 3-4. The front seven is only as strong as the weakest link. Also Haralson doesn't suck, he's not the elite pass rusher we need but he's a solid player and forced a lot of fumbles. We aren't even sure Aldon can make the transition to full time OLB. I'd say, I'd give the guy chances, but that's a tough position to play.

I don't think the niners are going to break the bank for him that's for sure. Six Million a year seems a little high.
Share 49ersWebzone