LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

Why have the 49ers not gotten any better on 3rd down throughout the last couple of years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wrs the ol and alex
Let's not forget the playcalling. Roman has been a step up over Raye, but at times I wonder why a simply screen pass wouldn't do the trick on third down situation especially with the opposing defense clearly itching to gang tackle Smith.
How many if those were 3rd and longs though?

I'm not sold on Roman's ability as an in-game play-caller. He's proven to be a brilliant and innovative play-designer, but in the heat of the moment often times the play selection leaves me scratching my head a bit.

But let's give these guys a freaking off-season before we start calling in the wolves.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
the common denominator is 11

this
Simple WR's, did anyone notice how much worse we were on 3rd down after josh morgan got hurt???
And how many times did we need 5 yards to convert and the receiver ran a 3 or 4 yard route?
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
the common denominator is 11

this

Except for all the other f**king quarterbacks that started for us?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Good time to bring this back up. Although two games is not a solid sample size, it's enough to discuss.

Last year our 3rd down conversion percentage was 29%, 2nd to last in the league. So far this year we are at 30%, so no improvement. The biggest difference though is the frequency of 3rd downs. Last year we were 9th in the league in total 3rd downs, this year we are 3rd to last (with Denver and Atlanta still to play). Obviously this means we are more successful on 1st and 2nd down, so we're not affected as much by 3rd downs as we were a year ago.

Last night we saw improvement as well. Converting 36% isn't great, but again we had the lead the whole time so no need to expose ourselves to a possible turnover. Crabtree emerged as a possible go to target for 3rd downs which was awesome to see.

If we improve this part of our game to be even middle-of-the-pack, we will be unstoppable.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Good time to bring this back up. Although two games is not a solid sample size, it's enough to discuss.

Last year our 3rd down conversion percentage was 29%, 2nd to last in the league. So far this year we are at 30%, so no improvement. The biggest difference though is the frequency of 3rd downs. Last year we were 9th in the league in total 3rd downs, this year we are 3rd to last (with Denver and Atlanta still to play). Obviously this means we are more successful on 1st and 2nd down, so we're not affected as much by 3rd downs as we were a year ago.

Last night we saw improvement as well. Converting 36% isn't great, but again we had the lead the whole time so no need to expose ourselves to a possible turnover. Crabtree emerged as a possible go to target for 3rd downs which was awesome to see.

If we improve this part of our game to be even middle-of-the-pack, we will be unstoppable.

the other issue on offense last year was redzone. that also looks a lot better this year.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
the other issue on offense last year was redzone. that also looks a lot better this year.

Yeah 3/4 this year so far. I'd like to see more, of course.

Originally posted by Furlow:

Agree 100%.

As I've said before, last year at this time we were brutal in these areas. To beat two playoff teams in back to back weeks to start the season and have people praising the offense and Alex Smith is insane.

And yes....Jacobs, Ginn, James have yet to be featured.
They showed they can convert some critical 3rd and long. For the 3rd and short, we need a thumper like Jacobs back there.
Share 49ersWebzone