LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Why have the 49ers not gotten any better on 3rd down throughout the last couple of years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I remember back when Mike Nolan was coaching, this team still had trouble on third down. Now that we have these "great offensive coaches", why is 3rd down still the NUMBER 1 problem on this team?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
the common denominator is 11

You have to post some statistics. How do we compare on 3rd down to other playoff teams. I always felt Red Zone efficiency was our biggest problem this year

Anyway, there are factors in play like our stellar defense. Our coaching staff is less likely to take risks on 3rd down because we have a defense to fall back on
obvious agenda is obvious
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

...because they also suck on 1st and second down.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM ]

Yup...because he started all those game sin the last three years....

...wait....wha?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cNiner:

this
I think these guys have a point about this common denominator. Alex has improved this year on his decision making yes, but there are times I think he holds himself back because of either: A. He doesn't trust his receivers, his chemistry with them, timing, etc etc. or B. He doesn't trust his accuracy enough to make quick throws into tight windows. OR, it could be a combination of both. Whichever it is, Alex needs to develop the rapport he already has with VD with each and every other receiver no matter who they are in this offense.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I think these guys have a point about this common denominator. Alex has improved this year on his decision making yes, but there are times I think he holds himself back because of either: A. He doesn't trust his receivers, his chemistry with them, timing, etc etc. or B. He doesn't trust his accuracy enough to make quick throws into tight windows. OR, it could be a combination of both. Whichever it is, Alex needs to develop the rapport he already has with VD with each and every other receiver no matter who they are in this offense.

Agree.

The throws he makes with VD can be very impressive.

As I've mentioned before, a lot of the better Alex Smith games are when the short to intermediate passing game is clicking followed by some solid running. Alex needs the flow to play well it seems. Can't muster it out of nowhere unless it's 75 seconds and 90 yards left to go in game.

we've been a bad offense for years--that's why. and for a lot of different reasons.

our offense made huge leaps this year and should continue to do so next year.
The common denomitor with ASmith is the absolute lack of receivers!! The other QBs in 2009 and 2010 were atrocious on 3rd down as well.
It's tough. I definitely think Alex improved a great deal so it's difficult for me to place the blame on his shoulders.

I think much of it has to do with a lack of firepower in the WR corps and predictable/subpar playcalling on 3rd down.

My excitement when Crabtree was drafted was that we would finally have that big time receiving threat in at the WR position again.

Now I don't hate on Crabs as much as some people, but so far he's shown that he's a good #2 and a sub-par number #1.

We still need that big time WR. That's the real common thread. Niners haven't had even close to one since TO. That's 10 years ago or so.
Boot, can you post some stats comparing us to other teams?

Vernon Davis runs a longer route on the 3rd & 1 and Dixon doesn't get tripped up and we are 3 for 13 in the game. So not bad
Share 49ersWebzone