There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

would making aldon smith a fulltime starter be the right thing to do?

my early handicap of the offseason is that niners resign alex smith, carlos rogers, josh morgan, adam snyder, larry grant, cj spillman and blake costanzo, and franchise dashon goldson

the guys who leave would be ahmad brooks and ted ginn jr

i have seen some reports saying aldon smith will have learned the duties for a 3-4 olb by next season, and could step in for brooks....but would that be the best thing for the defense? smith is so deadly as a situational pass rusher, would it make more sense to keep him there and draft a repalcement for brooks...will the addition of more olb duties detract from smith's pass rush? will he loose his fresh legs late in the season?

thoughts?
Yes a great talent like him should be on the field as much as possible. You dont draft a guy at #7 to make him a part time player.
You don't use the 7th pick of the draft on someone who is just a "sometimes" player. He made some great plays against the run, and showed he can get from sideline to sideline. With him as a full-time starter, along with Willis and Bowman, our LB speed is just amazing. We could probably bring back Tubby Bunt-Cake and still have the fastest overall group in the league. And I don't think you have to worry about him losing his fresh legs, he's only 22. The only time that seems to be a real issue for young players, is when rookies are trying to adjust to the longer pro season. He's past that now. The only question about him now, is in coverage. And as has been pointed out many times - Demarcus Ware doesn't drop back in coverage often!
Originally posted by RDB4216:
You don't use the 7th pick of the draft on someone who is just a "sometimes" player. He made some great plays against the run, and showed he can get from sideline to sideline. With him as a full-time starter, along with Willis and Bowman, our LB speed is just amazing. We could probably bring back Tubby Bunt-Cake and still have the fastest overall group in the league. And I don't think you have to worry about him losing his fresh legs, he's only 22. The only time that seems to be a real issue for young players, is when rookies are trying to adjust to the longer pro season. He's past that now. The only question about him now, is in coverage. And as has been pointed out many times - Demarcus Ware doesn't drop back in coverage often!

I know Aldon wont drop back into coverage very often but i am concerned about his run support. Parys, though not a sack artist, has been very good in setting the edge and funneling runners inside towards PW and NB. Aldon is such a quick 1st step and is so proficient in getting to the passer, he becomes susceptible to draws and counters. But i am hoping Aldon will be able to recognize and learn the nuances of playing a 3-4 OLB and become a complete player.
Originally posted by SFATeflonDon:
I know Aldon wont drop back into coverage very often but i am concerned about his run support. Parys, though not a sack artist, has been very good in setting the edge and funneling runners inside towards PW and NB. Aldon is such a quick 1st step and is so proficient in getting to the passer, he becomes susceptible to draws and counters. But i am hoping Aldon will be able to recognize and learn the nuances of playing a 3-4 OLB and become a complete player.

Luckily he's got two of the best tacklers in the game to help him with that.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
You don't use the 7th pick of the draft on someone who is just a "sometimes" player. He made some great plays against the run, and showed he can get from sideline to sideline. With him as a full-time starter, along with Willis and Bowman, our LB speed is just amazing. We could probably bring back Tubby Bunt-Cake and still have the fastest overall group in the league. And I don't think you have to worry about him losing his fresh legs, he's only 22. The only time that seems to be a real issue for young players, is when rookies are trying to adjust to the longer pro season. He's past that now. The only question about him now, is in coverage. And as has been pointed out many times - Demarcus Ware doesn't drop back in coverage often!


Ding, Ding, ding. could not agree more. Aldon Smith is like Justin Smith, you want your best defensive players on the field as much as possible.

Brooks will be gone unless he is willing to sing for the amount offered earlier in the season
Whether Brooks stays or goes, it's gonna have to be time for Aldon to step into the starting lineup. Also think it's time to bring in a rush LB early in the draft. I struggle to see Haralson sticking around another year... particularly at his cap cost of nearly 4 milion.
he'll be starting next season.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Ding, Ding, ding. could not agree more. Aldon Smith is like Justin Smith, you want your best defensive players on the field as much as possible.

Brooks will be gone unless he is willing to sing for the amount offered earlier in the season

Well I am still hoping we keep Brooks, and if anything let Haralson go if the money is needed.
Not only is it a good idea, but he WILL be a starter. Bank it.

.....but I'm not so sure on Brooks. Remember, Aldon split time with Haralson, not Brooks. Haralson IS a step down from Brooks. It's not that I think Brooks is irreplaceable, but the guy to replace hi isn't currently on the roster. They need another guy.
Fat guys like food!
[ Edited by AJ_Larrea954 on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Not only is it a good idea, but he WILL be a starter. Bank it.

.....but I'm not so sure on Brooks. Remember, Aldon split time with Haralson, not Brooks. Haralson IS a step down from Brooks. It's not that I think Brooks is irreplaceable, but the guy to replace hi isn't currently on the roster. They need another guy.

I think with the number of free agents we have this year, it will all come down to money and if they can afford Brooks. Everyone seems to be assuming he will leave because he will want too much money, but I have no idea what they are basing that on. I have yet to see the interview with him where he said he couldn't wait to test free agency (again) and get paid like a Pro Bowler.
^^True....but I think they will use a draft pick at theat position whether Brooks is resigned or not.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes a great talent like him should be on the field as much as possible. You dont draft a guy at #7 to make him a part time player.


mind you, im not advocating one way or the other, as i really didnt know and that is why i posed the question to the board...but the argument to keep him as a specialist might be akin to drafting or signing a closer in baseball

could smith's pass rush production actually go down with more playing time?
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes a great talent like him should be on the field as much as possible. You dont draft a guy at #7 to make him a part time player.


mind you, im not advocating one way or the other, as i really didnt know and that is why i posed the question to the board...but the argument to keep him as a specialist might be akin to drafting or signing a closer in baseball

could smith's pass rush production actually go down with more playing time?

Great question and the answer is, "No question about it!" His production will dip dramatically, just like Haralson did after his off-the-bench 8 sack season and LT deal. The difference between being a starting OLB and being a pass rush specialist is night and day. One is a marathon and the other is a sprint. But when you are a starter, you need to know the entire defense and defensive scheme and game plan not only on your responsibilities but on those around you (you work off them). As a starter, OL have game tape of you...your strengths and weaknesses and as a starter, OL can get used to blocking you a certain way; teams can game-plan you also like how Brooks was double-teamed most of the year including the Giants game. As a starter, you pass rush in lieu of stopping the run or screen passes to your side; you also drop back in zone a little more. You don't just get after the QB every time.

You need to know the entire playbook. Once you get the whole playbook down, THEN VF can start working with all four LBers to create more overload pressures, creating mismatches, working off each other, etc. No rookie, not even Aldon Smith can just step right in and learn this. The 3-4 is like a WCO...it takes 3 to 4 years to learn/master.

And in year 1, both Brooks/Smith exceeded all expectations but Brooks is, by far, the most well-rounded starting OLB we have. If we lose him and go rookie or "serviceable FA" Smith's production will drop dramatically IMHO. The Lbers are a complete unit! And right now, they are the best unit in the NFL.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM ]