There are 262 users in the forums

What's the Deal With Ralph Barbieri lately?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Doubting that the Niners will have the same turnover ratio next yr is not being a hater. It's simply unlikely our defense will force as many turnovers and provide our passing offense (ranked near the bottom of the NFL) with numerous short fields and gift wrapped scoring drives. The Niners passing game will most likely need to be MUCH better next season for the Niners to return to the NFC championship game.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Alex completed two passes for 7 yards in the 4th qtr. At one point late in the 4th qtr our boy Alex threw four consecutive incomplete passes (he had open receivers and good pass protection). In fact on the Niners first play of the 2nd half he had Walker wide open deep for an easy TD and no pressure from the giants passrush. Alex froze up and then started running around looking for an underneath route to open up until he was eventually sacked.

Anyone that thinks Alex mistakes didn't play a major factor in that loss is kidding themselves.

Actually, Alex was 4/8 for 40 yards in the 4th quarter, with a 17 yard run to set up the tying fg. He didn't have good protection at all and according to Maiocco and Matt Millen, his receivers weren't getting open. Not saying he was good in the 4th and OT but Eli wasn't any better.

4thQ&OT:
Alex: 5/10 51 yards, 17 yard run
Eli: 8/15 64 yards

Because of KW, Alex didn't even get to attempt a pass in the 4th quarter until 6:37 remaining, and had the ball only once in OT. Manning got it 3 times and on the 3rd "game-winning" drive didn't do anything but hand off.
[ Edited by vaden on Feb 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM ]
Matt Millen is a retard. Maiocco is the same guy that used to report during training camps that Alex was looking like a world beater and then the reg season would start and Alex would still suck. Maiocco usually reports nothing rather then report that Alex is playing poorly.

Just as I don't consider the 3rd down we converted at the end of regulation (because the Giants let us have it) your stats for Alex include a 29 yard pass that was completed with the Giants in prevent (The play ran out the clock in the 4th qtr). There were only 4 seconds left in the 4th qtr with the Niners on their own 38 yard line. So obviously only time for one hailmary type pass. The Giants played prevent defense with several of their defenders standing near their own endzone. Alex threw a 22 yard pass to a wide open Walker who then gained an additional 7 yards (Walker fumbled and the Niners recovered but it didn't matter since the play ran out the clock).

That's right, the only third down the Niners converted in the whole damn game was when we needed a hailmary pass with 4 seconds left with most of the Giants secondary backed off by about 35 yards. So completing a 29 yard pass in that situation was meaningless and just padded his stats.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM ]
The Niners game tying drive (another field goal) started near the 50 yardline. You impressed that Alex can lead us to a fieldgoal when the drive starts at midfield.
nm
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM ]
Barbiera"s premise is that by the law of averages the niners wont get as many turnovers next year which is terribly flawed. Yes the ball bounces in different ways but does he really think the niners were lucky to get all those turnovers? No, they played good D an put themsleves into a position for turmovers. There's no law of averages crap that's gonna chane that next year. Sure next year will be tougher but id argue were gonna be better. Harbough and Fangio both said during the year both the offensive and defensive playbooks were dumbe down and there's way more of the playbooks to learn. The Razors and idiot.
Originally posted by 16to87:
Three reasons I don't listen to KNBR, Gary & Larry, Fitz & Brooks, the Razo & Mr. T

You don't listen but you know all 3 shows . Rod Brooks makes me vomit so I listen to Dan Patrick or somebody else in the afternoon.
How can you not like Garry and Larry though .
Winning makes a lot of things look rosey. And stats are misleading. The fact is the 49ers won 13 games and have an excellent defense. They forced an unreal amount of turnovers that helped them win. That probably won't continue in 2012. +28 in turnovers is insane. As for being lucky I don't believe winning 13 games in the
NFL is luck. The Niners were 4-1 against playoff teams last year. They are still better than any team in the division and better coached. We'll see how the draft goes and where Peyton ends up. WE HAVE TO GET BETTER on 3rd down and Red Zone conversion. If we don't we don't we'll lose in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Matt Millen is a retard. Maiocco is the same guy that used to report during training camps that Alex was looking like a world beater and then the reg season would start and Alex would still suck. Maiocco usually reports nothing rather then report that Alex is playing poorly.

Just as I don't consider the 3rd down we converted at the end of regulation (because the Giants let us have it) your stats for Alex include a 29 yard pass that was completed with the Giants in prevent (The play ran out the clock in the 4th qtr). There were only 4 seconds left in the 4th qtr with the Niners on their own 38 yard line. So obviously only time for one hailmary type pass. The Giants played prevent defense with several of their defenders standing near their own endzone. Alex threw a 22 yard pass to a wide open Walker who then gained an additional 7 yards (Walker fumbled and the Niners recovered but it didn't matter since the play ran out the clock).

That's right, the only third down the Niners converted in the whole damn game was when we needed a hailmary pass with 4 seconds left with most of the Giants secondary backed off by about 35 yards. So completing a 29 yard pass in that situation was meaningless and just padded his stats.

Good point, that completion was meaningless, but Alex did convert a 3rd down earlier in the game. We just accepted a NYG penalty instead.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by skibeerski:
Barbiera"s premise is that by the law of averages the niners wont get as many turnovers next year which is terribly flawed. Yes the ball bounces in different ways but does he really think the niners were lucky to get all those turnovers? No, they played good D an put themsleves into a position for turmovers. There's no law of averages crap that's gonna chane that next year. Sure next year will be tougher but id argue were gonna be better. Harbough and Fangio both said during the year both the offensive and defensive playbooks were dumbe down and there's way more of the playbooks to learn. The Razors and idiot.

I read in one article that we recovered 48% of the fumbles lost against us, not a lucky percentage. We also had only 1 defensive TD and were actually just 7th in sacks. I could be wrong but it seems like our pass rush (and our forced fumbling) got way better in the last 5-6 games. We are tied with the NYG for most playoff sacks despite playing 1 less game. I think we'll almost certainly decline in picks, but think we can improve in other areas, particularly on 3rd down. We were just 11th in that category, but did extremely well against Brees (best 3rd down offense in NFL history) and Eli. The second half adjustments we made in both games were incredible and have me really excited about what the coaches can do with this D with a whole offseason.

Some interesting perspectives, still lots of unhealed wounds I see...

Okay, maybe getting the amount of turnovers and a 13-3 record is a tall order (and our offense needs a kick in the pants, QBs staying out of the discussion), but making it to the NFC Championship game should be considered a reasonable goal every year Harbaugh is our coach and our boys have the Niner Fire.

I agree with Greg Cossell's assessment with our team and think he's offered some good insight over the season, but he also offers it in a respectable and intelligent manner. I'm more annoyed with the childish way Ralph has cherry picked a handful of talking points to say the 49ers WILL NOT succeed like they did in 2011. It's not even an analysis, it's a stance, and he's going in his Gollum-y voice, "sorry, people, that's just the way it is. you should be more upset" as if he's Nostradamus. Such a contrast to listening to ANY player or coach discuss the 49ers. Considering the positive angles that can also be thrown into the discussion, I guess it bugs me even more.

Oh well, maybe teams and pundits will underestimate the 49ers again in 2012. Only seems to motive our boys even more...
Creating turnover is going to happen with our defense, but you CANT rely on them. However we had our chances in the game with 2 picks lost and the fumble that wasn't called a fumble. So we really did have our chances and some would say WE GOT SCREWED and we did.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Creating turnover is going to happen with our defense, but you CANT rely on them. However we had our chances in the game with 2 picks lost and the fumble that wasn't called a fumble. So we really did have our chances and some would say WE GOT SCREWED and we did.

What really makes me sick is how one of those bad passes we should've intercepted actually directly led to their go-ahead TD, via Brown's injury. I know he's a top 6 QB but it's just sickening the luck that Eli gets. His first Super Bowl, he had perhaps the luckiest game-winning drive in NFL history, and now this.
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Originally posted by 16to87:
Three reasons I don't listen to KNBR, Gary & Larry, Fitz & Brooks, the Razo & Mr. T

You don't listen but you know all 3 shows . Rod Brooks makes me vomit so I listen to Dan Patrick or somebody else in the afternoon.
How can you not like Garry and Larry though .
Actuallly it's Gary I can't stand, Larry alone or with Damon or someone else is alright.
never listen to KNBR. The only one I watch is Mindi Bach!
Share 49ersWebzone