LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 358 users in the forums

What's the Deal With Ralph Barbieri lately?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
I cant stand the razor but he has a valid point. Even Cosell mentioned that researchers have dug up the data and never has a team been close to a high turnover differential two years straight. We said the same thing about the Saints after they won the SB. They rode their turnovers that uear and werent so fortunate the following year. Combine that with a tougher schedule and hey were a disappointment. And their team actually had a high scoring offense. Imagine our offense without the Defense and Special teams vastly helping them get into prime scoring position.

We will need to score way more point on offense than we did this year from longer drives if we want to even come close to 13 wins. If you think our D and ST can repeat what they did, you are dreaming.
This just happened to the Niners 2 years ago. Remember how many turnovers the Niners got the year they finished 8-8. In 2009 most of those turnovers came in 2 games vs Arizona and that Thursday night game vs the Bears. Everybody was projecting the team to finally take that next step based off all those turnovers and how the defense played down the stretch. I believe it was pro football weekly released pre season rankings of the 2010 essentially saying the same thing. That no way will they create that many turnovers 2 years in a row. And well the Niners didn't get nearly as many turnovers and took a step backwards. I agree this offense will need to step it up all season next year for them to be 13-3 again. What we got form our defense and special teams this year was special. We will see how they produce.
I'm an East Coast guy, so I don't get these stations and have no clue who this gut is. That said, I think he is jumping on the Greg Cosell/Pete Prisco bandwagon and basing this on the fact that we will not be able to duplicate our turnover ratio and mostly injury-free season (besides Morgan and 3 games without Willis).

I agree in the sense that we as fans may be in for a rude awakening if our expectation is a 13-3 (or better) season. Looking at the schedule and knowing we have to play GB, NO, NYG, NE, DET, as well as being in an improving division, we could be in for a MUCH tougher season next year. That said, we beat a lot of good teams this year and one of the things they don't consider is that a bunch of our turnovers happened in games that we were controlling handedly (TPA, WAS, STL, the first AZ game, etc.) Really, I think our turnover stats got inflated because of some of the lesser teams we played and shouldn't be a basis for our success.

Our strengths are solid D that doesn't give up points, great special teams that helps us win the field position battle and an offense that doesn't shoot ourselves in the foot with turnovers and mistakes of our own. I think, barring losing players in FA or to injury, there is no reason that our D or special teams will regress. Hopefully the O will make strides with a full off-season to gel. So, do I think this team will regress? No. Do I think we are still the hands down best team in the NFC West? Yes. Could we be looking at a 9-7, 10-6, 11-5 season next year? Absolutely. We will be in the playoffs next year, barring some catastrophe. We have also seen from the past two years with GB and the Giants is that you just have to get a seat at the table and then anything is possible.

Guys that are expecting us to regress to 2010 or prior levels of play are seriously delusional. We had a little luck in the injury department this year, but we were 13-3 because of solid play...period.
Ralph is just playing the role of the angry fan. A lot of fans felt the same way right after the loss. This was a great opportunity for us to go to the superbowl. Everything fell into our hands and we had the perfect set up to make it to the superbowl. But we blew it. However, Ralph is stringing it a little longer than it should be. Probabilities and stats never tell the whole story, because they take numbers in the abstract and never account for particular situations. Yes, IN GENERAL, odds are that teams won't repeat the same success the following year, but this is not true of every particular team. The patriots won 2 straight superbowls and 3 out of 4. The Colts were repeatedly successful year after year until they won the superbowl and then made it again a couple years later. This is not to mention the 49ers and Cowboys of the 1990's who repeatedly met in the NFC championship game.
Barbieri sure reminds me of this..
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Ralph is just playing the role of the angry fan. A lot of fans felt the same way right after the loss. This was a great opportunity for us to go to the superbowl. Everything fell into our hands and we had the perfect set up to make it to the superbowl. But we blew it. However, Ralph is stringing it a little longer than it should be. Probabilities and stats never tell the whole story, because they take numbers in the abstract and never account for particular situations. Yes, IN GENERAL, odds are that teams won't repeat the same success the following year, but this is not true of every particular team. The patriots won 2 straight superbowls and 3 out of 4. The Colts were repeatedly successful year after year until they won the superbowl and then made it again a couple years later. This is not to mention the 49ers and Cowboys of the 1990's who repeatedly met in the NFC championship game.

No he has been pretty much saying it all year. He is just not someone who considers turnovers as a strategy to hook yoir wagon to because it wont last long. Hes right. Cant gameplan turnovers. Repeatig that is near impossible. The passing game better improve or we may be outside looking in on the playoffs next year.
Yeah...I think its all kinda passed him by.

I heard him talking about the "Santa Clara Plays Fair" thing the other night on how they had gotten a number of signatures to put the bill back on the ballot. It has already been shot down by the City. This was old news.

....but he read it like "OMG, this thing has just blown up again and they won't get a stadium till 2020". COmpletely out of touch and really just not paying attention.
I listen to the show every once in a while but not a big fan... Ralph's whiny, nasally voice is definitely not the greatest in sports radio or even radio in general. That said he's been around forever and he's use to failure after the unlikely success of the 80's and 90's. I take his and other's comments and opinions with a grain of salt. It's just that much sweeter when they're proven wrong as they all were a year ago. Albeit it is highly unlikely the 49ers will repeat their turnover ratio but that doesn't mean they're going to suck. I look for a huge improvement on offense and for the defense to continue playing at a high level. Perhaps the record and stats won't be as good but I still foresee another great year ahead and many more to come. I figure, if you can't stay positive then why bother, you're just being a hater.
[ Edited by vermonator on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM ]

No he has been pretty much saying it all year. He is just not someone who considers turnovers as a strategy to hook yoir wagon to because it wont last long. Hes right. Cant gameplan turnovers. Repeatig that is near impossible. The passing game better improve or we may be outside looking in on the playoffs next year.

No doubt that you can't make turnovers your strategy, because forcing turnovers is never a sure thing. But Ralph is basically saying that we should all be much more upset and Harbaugh should have shown much more anger in his last press conference because we may not have this chance again in a long time. I don't think that's really the proper attitude to have going into next year. Sure there definitely needs to be vast improvement on offense, which I am expecting will happen given a whole offseason and another year learning the playbook. But Ralph also never thought throughout the year that the turnover margin would continue to rise. He kept saying the law of averages will catch up with the 49ers. He was shocked at the end of the year that the 49ers continued to force turnovers while not committing any.

No doubt that you can't make turnovers your strategy, because forcing turnovers is never a sure thing. But Ralph is basically saying that we should all be much more upset and Harbaugh should have shown much more anger in his last press conference because we may not have this chance again in a long time. I don't think that's really the proper attitude to have going into next year. Sure there definitely needs to be vast improvement on offense, which I am expecting will happen given a whole offseason and another year learning the playbook. But Ralph also never thought throughout the year that the turnover margin would continue to rise. He kept saying the law of averages will catch up with the 49ers. He was shocked at the end of the year that the 49ers continued to force turnovers while not committing any.

He is right about the bold.

Note: we lost every game we didn't get turnovers in. That should scream out a HUGE hint to our lack of offense.
who?

Like him or hate him, I am thinking he is doing a pretty good job if people are listening, then starting forum threads to discuss what he said on the radio. He's got you right where he wants you, lol.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Feb 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM ]

He is right about the bold.

Note: we lost every game we didn't get turnovers in. That should scream out a HUGE hint to our lack of offense.

We beat Detroit without getting any turnovers. But I agree that we can't continue to rely on turnovers to win.
i can't listen to ralph, his voice is so annoying, sounds like an 80 year old man, can't understand him half the time. 95.7 the game for sure . i still like fitz and brooks though .
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
i can't listen to ralph, his voice is so annoying, sounds like an 80 year old man, can't understand him half the time. 95.7 the game for sure . i still like fitz and brooks though .

I actually used to really like Ralph and Tom.....but these days they seem so out of touch and like 3 days behind on everything. Tom isn't so bad, but it seems like Ralph doesn't know anything before he's on the air.

I listen to both KNBR and the Game and I still really like Fitz and Brooks.....but as muc as it pains me to say, the Game is much better right now. At least the host have a clue what happened today before they sign on.
We beat Detroit without getting any turnovers. But I agree that we can't continue to rely on turnovers to win.

Don't forget special teams. Ginn provided us with a 40-yard return on that last drive.
Share 49ersWebzone