LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

If the 49ers can't reach a deal and franchise Goldson, what is his trade value?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Again, nothing, 0. If he's franchised his trade value won't be assessed until the 2013 season as. I don't know of a team franchising a player them trading that player in the same season.

Have you ever heard of Matt Cassel? Have you ever heard of signing restricted
Players than trading them...like what we did to Brandon Lloyd?
Theirs ways around the system and yes you can franchise tag a player and trade him once the player accepts the tag. Then the player can negotiate with his new team!
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:

Again, nothing, 0. If he's franchised his trade value won't be assessed until the 2013 season as. I don't know of a team franchising a player them trading that player in the same season.

Theirs ways around the system and yes you can franchise tag a player and trade him once the player accepts the tag. Then the player can negotiate with his new team!

And why exactly do we want to get rid of Goldson? One of the best safetys in the league....

The player doesn't have that much leverage. Vincent Jackson complains every single year about getting the franchise tag. He wants more money, more years, a new team. But he can't do anything. They put the tag on. Other teams stay away. And he plays for the Chargers again.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

And why exactly do we want to get rid of Goldson? One of the best safetys in the league....

The player doesn't have that much leverage. Vincent Jackson complains every single year about getting the franchise tag. He wants more money, more years, a new team. But he can't do anything. They put the tag on. Other teams stay away. And he plays for the Chargers again.

exactly. Why would we let him go? So some webzoners can play with the trade maker on Madden 12?
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Answer: 2nd rounder or better. They'd be silly to give him up for a 3rd or higher considering he'll start and likely give us a comp 3rd rounder. Cassel went to the chiefs for a 2nd rounder.
We need to get a deal done with Rogers and Goldson asap
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Why do so many of you think trades in the NFL are realistic...trades rarely happen...

"EA Sports... it's in the game!"

No, I seriously expect us to F-tag him and his 2012 performance FOR US will determine his future as a 49er... once and for all.

I would offer him 5 mil per for 4 years... explain to him the benefits of long-term security with a great defense... and off of that 1 year F-tag, if he were to regress or get injured, his future then looks far less profitable. So take the deal, Dashon!
[ Edited by oldman9er on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:54 AM ]
Fat people like food!
Originally posted by dhp318:
Are you serious? It's always a serious thing to consider, as the Packers are likely doing with Matt Flynn. Biggest example in recent memory: Matt Cassel. Of course, there aren't many examples, simply because trades just don't happen very often in the NFL, especially with players that have franchise tag value
Not sure if you agree or disagree with me. Matt Flynn isn't franchised. Cassel, on the other hand, was, I think, a strategic move on the Patriots part. They had what many thought was a budding star and knew some team would over pay to get him. GB could be using that same strategery. On the other hand, Goldson is a different matter. He has played himself into the top 2 or 3 FS in the NFL (I would argue the best). Once that franchise tag is slapped on him all trade talk is over unless a team comes with 2 #1's and a #2 to boot.

That is not true. The OP is correct, only did not word it properly. The Matt Cassel scenario and potentially Matt Flynn is the same thing. You franchise the player, in this case Dashon Goldson. Mr. Goldson and his agent are free to negotiate with other teams (unless he is an exclusive franchise like Manny Lawson) but in this scenario they would not do that.

Front office people can and do talk. They CAN accept lower than two 1st round picks (aka Cassel). If the Niners franchised Goldson and got 1 first rounder or a second rounder in 2012 and 2013 because Baalke et al did not want to match that offer then I am fine with it.

The Rams also used the franchise offer to get a long term deal done with Orlando Pace. They could not reach a deal, so they matched a competiting deal and voila it was done.

How are people so confused? If the team can't come to a long-term agreement with the player, and it seems likely he would leave, then you would franchise him and arrange a deal with a team that wants to sign Goldson to a long-term deal. That way, the team gets draft pick(s), and Goldson gets the financial security he covets. If no such deal can be made, then at least the team gets Goldson for another year.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Can u trade a player on a franchise tag?? I can see there being some kind of rule against doing this. Otherwise teams would do this all the time.

Originally posted by 9erred:
That is not true. The OP is correct, only did not word it properly. The Matt Cassel scenario and potentially Matt Flynn is the same thing. You franchise the player, in this case Dashon Goldson. Mr. Goldson and his agent are free to negotiate with other teams (unless he is an exclusive franchise like Manny Lawson) but in this scenario they would not do that.

Front office people can and do talk. They CAN accept lower than two 1st round picks (aka Cassel). If the Niners franchised Goldson and got 1 first rounder or a second rounder in 2012 and 2013 because Baalke et al did not want to match that offer then I am fine with it.

The Rams also used the franchise offer to get a long term deal done with Orlando Pace. They could not reach a deal, so they matched a competiting deal and voila it was done.
What the 49ers CAN do and what I think they WILL do are two different things. The 49ers will NOT trade Goldson, I don't think.
What happened with Matt Cassel is very rare and only worked b/c the chiefs hired Pioli from the Pats. That deal was in place when he left for KC. Not sure any other teams front offices are going to be that buddy buddy
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

exactly. Why would we let him go? So some webzoners can play with the trade maker on Madden 12?
I don't want to let him go at all!! Just simply stating that he can be traded if necessary. I want him hes a boss ha
Originally posted by crabman82:
weddles contract is the bench mark his agent will point to, dude is gonna get paid

I agree that might be the starting point I just don't think the niners would pay him 8 million a year. If we don't, somebody else might, in which case we would lose him. I like Goldson and hopefully we can come to a reasonable long term contract. Something in the range of 5 years 32.5 mill might be fair for all parties.
Originally posted by lamontb:
What happened with Matt Cassel is very rare and only worked b/c the chiefs hired Pioli from the Pats. That deal was in place when he left for KC. Not sure any other teams front offices are going to be that buddy buddy

lets not forget the cheifs had to throw in mike vrabel with cassell just to get a second round pick
Share 49ersWebzone