There are 235 users in the forums

Secondary Coach Ed Donatell to Oakland?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by susweel:
NFL coaches should be required to fulfill their contracts.

why? the teams arent required to keep them their whole deal

True but if they get fired the team is still required to pay them their entire contract.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Wonder what the people who said the 49ers would never block someone from a promotion think of this....

Well, Jim has been pimping his guys out for coaching jobs so I don't see him telling the FO to block this. Could be that Donatell had no interest (TB looks like a mess) and wanted to respectfully decline by having us block him.

^^ Sounds like a reasonable take to me
isn't part of it that it's really late now to be interviewing asst coaches?

True but if they get fired the team is still required to pay them their entire contract.

Agree, sus. Too much movement in the NFL coaching staff today. Between the cap, free agency and teams stealing coaches the NFL product is suffering. I dont know that we need to make them honor th whole contract, but there should be some kind of minumum commitment, like 2 or 3 years.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Agree, sus. Too much movement in the NFL coaching staff today. Between the cap, free agency and teams stealing coaches the NFL product is suffering. I, lknow that we need to make them honor th whole contract, but there should be some kind of minumum commitment, like 2 or 3 years.

Yah I think the product suffers on the field when coaching staffs are raided every off season. I can understand if someone wants to be a HC you should allow them to interview but just taking coaches to be coordinators should only be allowed if that coaches contract is expiring.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Yeah, Jim would be happy for any of his guys getting a promotion. Unless someone in the front office has the final say?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Wonder what the people who said the 49ers would never block someone from a promotion think of this....

Well, Jim has been pimping his guys out for coaching jobs so I don't see him telling the FO to block this. Could be that Donatell had no interest (TB looks like a mess) and wanted to respectfully decline by having us block him.

sounds like the Bucs did it to a position coach a few years ago (blocked him). GB just did it and now we did it maybe teams are sending a message to the Bucs
He can't interview for the DC, only for HC position. Niners will not allow him to interview for anything except a HC postion.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
sounds like the Bucs did it to a position coach a few years ago (blocked him). GB just did it and now we did it maybe teams are sending a message to the Bucs

Yeah, that's why all that little stuff like this, poison pills in contracts, illegally talking to players this offseason can backfire on teams.... teams can hold that against you. TB didn't do the poison pill but I think they where one of the teams with the illegal talking this offseason. The vikings did the poison pill with seattle for hutchinson so they did it right back with Nate Burleson. Probably deters teams from trading players or trading in the draft. Hurts the working relationship. So basically if Bucs blocked someone a few years ago maybe a few teams got together and said hey if they want to play that way the next time they come calling lets do the same thing.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM ]
Originally posted by lancer:
He can't interview for the DC, only for HC position. Niners will not allow him to interview for anything except a HC postion.

Most of us always thought the only way you could deny someone is if they where going to a lateral coaching job or worse. So DC to CB coach elsewhere.. or DC to DC on another team. Someone just put up in the NFL rules it says as long as it's not a HC position you can deny it. If they are being interviewed for a HC job you can't deny them.

TB already has Butch Davis as the teams "Senior Defensive Assistant"
apparently he doesnt want a coaching title because he's collecting a severance from north carolina that pays him if he cant find a coaching job. talk about integrity.

so whoever becomes the DC of TB is more or less an assistant with a coordinator title.
Originally posted by schmons:
TB already has Butch Davis as the teams "Senior Defensive Assistant"
apparently he doesnt want a coaching title because he's collecting a severance from north carolina that pays him if he cant find a coaching job. talk about integrity.

so whoever becomes the DC of TB is more or less an assistant with a coordinator title.

This, with lesser pay I'm sure. I think its entirely reasonable that rather than offend a team, Donatell had the 49ers block the interview process entirely. Anyone who is going to Tampa to be DC is going to be Butch's "b***h", no wonder they're having difficulty filling the position, hell they've had college defensive coordinators turn them down.
Also, maybe Donatell didn't want to coach alongside Tampa Bay's new SENIOR(no kidding right?) offensive assistant..............

I think that we blocking interviews because of the time frame. Usually coaching changes are made in January. I think if they would have sought permission in January they probably would have been alright. Remember when Chargers hired Norv from us and we were in a bind trying to find his replacement because everyone was getting ready for the draft combine.
Share 49ersWebzone