Secondary Coach Ed Donatell to Oakland?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I don't recall that situation.

I am 95% sure that a team may not deny a coach under contract from taking any HC position or a position coach from taking a Coordinator job. Below that, the team can deny a move.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/2012/01/28/cardinals-deny-buccaneers-permission-to-speak-to-receivers-coach-john-mcnulty/

I stand corrected.

Something is fishy there.

For years we have always been told that a promotion cannot be blocked. I'm not buying that staory....there is something else to that.

Either way, Harbaugh and the 49ers will not block a move. Doing so prevents good coaches from wanting to coach here in the first place.

That is the bottom line, and that is the precedent Bill Walsh set for this franchise.

Back to the original point; I don't have time to research it but I still have the feeling that a team may not block a promotion. I think this AZ story has it wrong.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
You also have Mike Nolan who tried to hire Ken Zampese as OC but the Bengals wouldn't let him interview. You cant block a coach from interviewing for a HC job but you can deny permission for a position coach to interview for a coordinator job. And this being so late, I doubt 49ers would give Oakland permission to interview one of our coaches.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Jcool:
You also have Mike Nolan who tried to hire Ken Zampese as OC but the Bengals wouldn't let him interview. You cant block a coach from interviewing for a HC job but you can deny permission for a position coach to interview for a coordinator job. And this being so late, I doubt 49ers would give Oakland permission to interview one of our coaches.

When Nolan attempted to hire Zampese it was beyond the cut off date. I believe it is February 5 or thereabouts. After that date, teams must give permission.

To recall; one of Nolan's greatest problems that first year was that he was hired so late in the cycle that all the good assistants were already locked up. In addition to his own limitations, he wound up with a bunch of terrible position coaches. In essence, he wound up with guys no one else wanted.

This may be correct.

Seen a few people state this in another forum.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Wish it wasn't for a DC position. We'd seem like major d-bags for denying permission. If it were for another positional job, I'd say back off, get someone else.

Since DC is a promotion, the 49ers cannot deny him.

Teams can deny permission to make a parallel move (DC for Team A to DC for Team B) but they cannot prevent an assistant from moving up to a coordinator position.

If true, I am sure Harbaugh/Baalke would not attempt to prevent it. Every coach dreams of moving up the ladder. If an assistant was offered a position with a team but found out they were not willing to allow a move up, that coach would not accept the position. Just the way it is...

Dang cell wouldn't show others already corrected that you CAN block any request unless its a hc promotion.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

Harbaugh wouldnt do that. He'll let them interview for the job
[ Edited by saj4423 on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM ]
I was getting sick to my stomach going into the Raider forum.. They hate us but always on the nutts, trying to get our coaches and players.. Hand me downs.
Only loser organizations block their assistant coaches from interviewing for promotions
Originally posted by dhp318:
Only loser organizations block their assistant coaches from interviewing for promotions

This. Teams can deny interview requests, they just shouldn't. It smacks of desperation and a lack of preparation/confidence. Whiz asked Pitt for their LB coach (for DC) after two diferent seasons and they denied him; that's why he settled on their DB coach.

mortensen just said greg manusky is likely to go to oakland
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

LMAO, LMAO, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

They'll have a true 'bend but do bend over' defense installed.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

i c what u did there.
Share 49ersWebzone