Originally posted by nickbradley:
This might be a controversial position, but I think that the best long-term strategy for the 49ers may be to let Alex Smith go. This isn't a specific knock on Smith, but more of a realization that other priorities are more important. Discussion:
- keeping the defense together is priority #1, I think we can all agree on that. In order to do that, we need to:
-- re-sign Goldson and Rogers...that will be expensive.
-- blocking off money to re-sign Bowman before his 2013 contract year starts
- A second priority is shoring up the WR Corps, improving the short-yardage running game, and securing the interior offensive line long-term, i.e. re-signing Snyder and replacing/extending Goodwin after 2013
So here's what I would do:
- re-sign Rogers, Goldson, Synder, Morgan, and Brooks. Go after Dwayne Bowe or Hakeem Nicks at WR and Peyton Hillis at RB. We need a WR that gets separation and a back that can pick up an increasing load from Gore as he gets older AND can pick up short yardage.
- Offer Smith a short-term extension for $5m - $6m...if he doesn't take it we go with Kaep.
- If Smith leaves, extend Bowman, Justin Smith, Soap, T-Brown, and Whitner
If we make these moves, we're locked and loaded for a 5 year run at championships...but it may cost us Alex Smith in order to get the cap room. Thoughts?
-I'm sorry but I think we re-sign Alex Smith, period. He's earned it and he gives us the best chance unless we get Payton (which I doubt).
-I agree that keeping the D together is VITAL to our playoff push for next year.
-The only WR FA I'm interested in getting is Colston. Any new receiver should come via the first round, and
purhaps the later rounds.
-We have time to extend Bowman, but keeping him along side Willis is vital.
-Would love to keep Brooks, at the right price. But expect Aldon to start next season, either in place of Brooks or Haralson. If I were a betting man (and I'm not) I'd say that if we can re-sign Brooks and Haralson then Haralson would be the odd man out as a starter. But I thing the 49er coaching staff would have no problem featuring Haralson and Aldon at the OLB spots if Brooks wants too much. I just see Haralson swallowing his pride before Brooks
Either way, I think we will be fine. We will not be starving for FA.