There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Becoming the Ravens of the NFC

Ever since Nolan became HC, we've joked about us trying to become Baltimore West. After (both) Harbaugh's ascension to HC, the sick D he coached, and an all-world #52 roving the middle, (and a less than average O) those comparisons have never been more apt.

My question is, do you guys see us becoming a perennial contending team powered by a top 5 defense the way Baltimore has been since they won the Super Bowl over 10 years ago? Or are we more of a shot-in-the-pan team like the Cardinals were for 2008-09?

One of the things that made this loss so hard to take was that it ended a magical season where we came out of nowhere. My biggest hope going forward is that we continue this run for the duration of Harbaugh's present (and hopefully next) contract. They always say Defense wins championships, and in a year where numerous offensive records fell, our D had us within minutes of the Super Bowl. We're young, hungry, and have stars at all 3 levels of defense. (assuming we can keep Goldson and Rogers in the DB).
If we keep drafting like the last two years! This team will win multiple titles no doubt!!!!!!
I see us becoming like the Ravens, except with a better offense. I think with the new offense being installed, I forsee an effective offense whose strength lies in its offensive line and scheme. The defense will remain dominant provided that the team continues to hit on their top picks.

The 2000 Ravens were great, but that continued defensive dominance afterwards was only made possible by hitting premium draft picks a la Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, and others. Strength builds on strength, and now that we've finally got a winning culture fueled by a dominant defense, you can't let that culture fade away, because it allows you to develop players so much more effectively. Think of how Bowman/Grant learns from Willis, or how Aldon Smith learned from Justin Smith, etc. Hell, since RayMac started working out with Justin Smith, he's become a great player in his own right.

We can't just pick a receiver/DB with our first pick because it's a need. We should pick the best player available, regardless of whether it's a strength or a weakness. Getting the best players on the field is the most important thing. Hell, if the best player is a LB or DT, I say take him, given how important depth is. If he turns out to be an excellent player, he'll make it on the field.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I see us becoming like the Ravens, except with a better offense. I think with the new offense being installed, I forsee an effective offense whose strength lies in its offensive line and scheme. The defense will remain dominant provided that the team continues to hit on their top picks.

The 2000 Ravens were great, but that continued defensive dominance afterwards was only made possible by hitting premium draft picks a la Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, and others. Strength builds on strength, and now that we've finally got a winning culture fueled by a dominant defense, you can't let that culture fade away, because it allows you to develop players so much more effectively. Think of how Bowman/Grant learns from Willis, or how Aldon Smith learned from Justin Smith, etc. Hell, since RayMac started working out with Justin Smith, he's become a great player in his own right.

We can't just pick a receiver/DB with our first pick because it's a need. We should pick the best player available, regardless of whether it's a strength or a weakness. Getting the best players on the field is the most important thing. Hell, if the best player is a LB or DT, I say take him, given how important depth is. If he turns out to be an excellent player, he'll make it on the field.

Completely agree about drafting BPA. Drafting for need is how you end up like the Colts.
That Cardinals team was all about Kurt Warner. He was everything. When they lost him, that was it.
I think everybody can agree that our team does not depend upon our quarterback like that.

We will be a competitive team with Harbaugh. But keeping this defense intact will be difficult.
We already are the ravens of the nfc. We find something that works (running the ball no tricky s**t) then when we need it most we don't use it.
Yep instead of having a kicker that blows the Championship game, we have a PR that does that...so yeah, we pretty much are the NFC Ravens...
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
We already are the ravens of the nfc. We find something that works (running the ball no tricky s**t) then when we need it most we don't use it.

Well said.

Based upon the run/pass ratio in the final 1/3 of the season, I doubt we'll follow the Baltimore West model. This staff wants to chuck the ball.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Well said.

Based upon the run/pass ratio in the final 1/3 of the season, I doubt we'll follow the Baltimore West model. This staff wants to chuck the ball.

I can deal with this as long as we get some more weapons & playmakers on offense.
Look what Harbaugh and Baalke did in one year without an offseson. It's about fine tuning now.

Yea it seemed the last few games of the season and the playoffs we got way too cute with our play calling instead of running the ball.

ain't that the truth
As long as we have Dilfer 2.0 back there its possible.
Im just glad were still young on defense , the ravens in the other hand better start lookin for replacements for ray lewis & ed reed......niners are only geting better !!
Yes, but we need to keep the D together, and that may require going with Kaep over Alex Smith to save $$$ for the defense.