There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Get rid of Kyle Williams or keep him?

Get rid of Kyle Williams or keep him?

Originally posted by BenQ:
keep him. he did not single handedly lose that game for us. being unable to move the ball for 5 straight possessions lost the game. if we kick a fg during one of those drives kyle would not have fumbled. but no our offense couldn't do s**t.

I say we keep Williams. Everyone is imperfect and will make a huge mistake in life. I believe he will learn from this and be a better player because of it. That being said, he did lose us the game. Sorry but some games aren't going to be shoot out's and barn burners. Some are going to be nasty and defensive and that's what we saw last sunday night. The Giants have a great defense so it doesn't surprise me the offense struggled. Kuyle Williams played risky the entire game and don't get me started on him diving for that catch in the rain! He wasn't playing smart and it threw us into overtime and ended the game prematurely. I'm not going to blame the entire team for what he did. The offense wasn't bad wither so don't get caught up in stupid statistics that don't tell the whole story. Alex threw 2 TD's people! I'm not saying Wiliams is a bad player. Again, I want him back on the team. I want him to keep his head up high. But yes, he did lose the game for the niners. If I make a bonehead move at work I can't blame the company and say sorry guys it's a team game right?
[ Edited by mustangmele on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he'll make the final roster next year, no doubt in my mind. If he doesn't, i'll blow all of you.

i was going to come in here and say we should obviously keep him but this post changed my mind. cut him. cut him now.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Maybe we should fire Jim Harbaugh for putting him out there.....

However, I propose neither. Let Williams come back and compete for a spot.

P.S. I am not sure why people are so angry with Williams, and Williams alone. The kid isn't even the normal PR guy. It is like blaming a linebacker who is the backup kicker for missing a field goal. The guy tried his best.

He was an all american punt returner in college. He has been handling kicks for awhile not since Ginn's injury..Not many people saw this coming except ASU fans.

He didn't try his best. He made mental mistake after mental mistake. Nobody, not even in high school, would still be on the field after commiting the most agregious foul, letting a punt hit you in the knee and then failed to try to fall on the ball.

Then he doesn't secure the ball on a punt return in OT...

And if that is his best, then cut his ass. If anything, he tried to do too much and let him down. He needed to know his role, a ST backup returner, and make smart safe decisions. We don't need that from a backup WR/PR.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 800 for mustangmele.

P.S. I am not sure why people are so angry with Williams, and Williams alone. The kid isn't even the normal PR guy. It is like blaming a linebacker who is the backup kicker for missing a field goal. The guy tried his best.

Here's the thing... you can't blame harbaugh because williams was his best option since Ginn was hurt? Who you going to use? Reggie Smith?

Also, Williams has done punt/kick returning since college. He knows better than to make some of the mistakes he made. Even us fans knew what he did was uncalled for in regards to the ball touching his knee and diving for that catch in the rain. The fumble is debateable and I'm not so upset with that.
Originally posted by mustangmele:

Here's the thing... you can't blame harbaugh because williams was his best option since Ginn was hurt? Who you going to use? Reggie Smith?

Also, Williams has done punt/kick returning since college. He knows better than to make some of the mistakes he made. Even us fans knew what he did was uncalled for in regards to the ball touching his knee and diving for that catch in the rain. The fumble is debateable and I'm not so upset with that.

The ball got swiped out on an arm tackle. That is unacceptable.

Pierre Thomas getting knocked the f**k out by Whitner and fumbling, acceptable.
This is a ridiculous thread.

The only way Kyle Williams isn't on this roster next year is if he cannot make the team. It has nothing to do with his fumbles this year.

What message does it send if a guy makes a mistake that he gets cut for it? The kid is a better receiver than Ted Ginn and was only in his 2nd year.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Lol... I agree. That's why I say it's debateable... I do lean towards it being unacceptable. I'm just throwing him a bone though before everyone calls me a KW hater... which I'm not!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

not being able to pick up a first down on third and goal is unacceptable, running a reverse on a wet day is unacceptable, crabtree with one catch is unacceptable, not picking up first downs at all is unacceptable, getting away from our running game is unacceptable

Lol... I agree. That's why I say it's debateable... I do lean towards it being unacceptable. I'm just throwing him a bone though before everyone calls me a KW hater... which I'm not!

haha don't worry man

Don't let the liberal zoners tell you how to feel. If you have hate in your heart, let it out.
Originally posted by cciowa:

not being able to pick up a first down on third and goal is unacceptable, running a reverse on a wet day is unacceptable, crabtree with one catch is unacceptable, not picking up first downs at all is unacceptable, getting away from our running game is unacceptable

Yeah I agree . But those things fall on the team.

KW mistakes fall square on his shoulders. I've never seen one player commit so many boneheaded mistakes in one playoff game...

Seriously, i've watched a lot.
I have no problems keeping Williams, but as a WR only. I am concerned about his health as a PR or KR. Just take a look at MMA, K-1, or boxing for some insight. If a fighter suffers from a lights-out knockout, chances are he will be taken out again and again in later fights. What's horrible is that blows that would not have knocked him out prior to the first devastating KO will now take him out. Similarly, I think KW suffered one such knockout in the Seattle game. Sure, he had suffered three concussions prior to that, but he got knocked the F out in Seattle. So, jarring hits in the Giants game, though not head shots, more than likely scrambled his brain and affected his judgment. This probably explains the diving/sliding punt catch and running right at a bouncing punt (the one that hit his knee). It also may explain why he didn't head to the ground when he saw no lanes ahead of him on the fumble. The NFL has been studying the effects of concussions and has been implementing policies to mitigate the effects. I wonder whether the league has taken a look at the fight game.
[ Edited by JoeisGod on Jan 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM ]
I like how a young player who most people liked before the game, is now being run out of town.

I may never forgive him for costing us the Super Bowl berth, but looking at how we have NO RECEIVERS and seeing how he's young and still developing and could provide good competition or depth.. I would think the logical fan would say KEEP HIM unless we find several other better RECEIVERS that knock him out of a roster spot.

He shouldn't return kicks, I agree. Too many risks -- both turnover and injury included. So I say find several players who can do the job instead, all the while upgrading the WR position. Fresno State's Devon Wylie looks like a fantastic option.

I think it would be smart to add a DB and WR with KR ability this off-season. Keep Ginn, and give ourselves triple-fold depth there.

KR - Ginn, Hunter, *rook, *rook
PR - Ginn, *rook, *rook
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
He can still be a good WR, just keep him off special teams.

Yes...
He choked away the last game of his college career in the exact same way he cost us a shot at the SB.

Yeah he's fast, but he's a mentally weak player. The Giants knew it, and apparently talked about hitting him hard all week long to rattle him in the game--it looks like that strategy played off pretty well for them. He made idiotic decisions all game long. His first muff was unconscionable and asinine; his second fumble back-breaking and game (and season) ending. Can anyone find me a more egregious PR error in NFL history than his 1st muff, when we had the lead, all the momentum, and time on our side?

Tons of guys run 4.3s in the NFL and college. He's replaceable. How can we keep the guy who ruined our magical season, and a SB run where everything lined up for us to make it all the way??? As Harbaugh knows only too well, being back in this position next year is never guaranteed. Unless and until we win a SB with this team, this coaching staff, these players (Gore, VD, Willis, J Smith, etc) in tact he can not and will never be forgiven.
Originally posted by merm49:
He choked away the last game of his college career in the exact same way he cost us a shot at the SB.

Yeah he's fast, but he's a mentally weak player. The Giants knew it, and apparently talked about hitting him hard all week long to rattle him in the game--it looks like that strategy played off pretty well for them. He made idiotic decisions all game long. His first muff was unconscionable and asinine; his second fumble back-breaking and game (and season) ending. Can anyone find me a more egregious PR error in NFL history than his 1st muff, when we had the lead, all the momentum, and time on our side?

Tons of guys run 4.3s in the NFL and college. He's replaceable. How can we keep the guy who ruined our magical season, and a SB run where everything lined up for us to make it all the way??? As Harbaugh knows only too well, being back in this position next year is never guaranteed. Unless and until we win a SB with this team, this coaching staff, these players (Gore, VD, Willis, J Smith, etc) in tact he can not and will never be forgiven.

Yup none of those guys have a ring and may never get a chance again because one guy decided to have the worst game in the history of the NFL playoffs.

sadly, he isn't even an important part of our team and whats worse he wasn't even playing an important position.

Field the punt and run, let it go and get away from it, or call a fair catch...HOW f**kING HARD IS THAT?