LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by dj43:
And it doesnt strike you as weird that all the top QBs in the league just happen to have a great group of WRs? How many really good/great WRs are there in the NFL that produce regardless of QB? I think that list is limited to Larry Fitzgerald.

That is why I gave you Andy Dalton and Matt Ryan. They had exceptional receivers go down and when they did, they QBs had no targets.

If your theory held true, Dalton and Ryan would have just thrown the ball to someone else. They were going well until injuries hit their key receivers.

Your trouble is that your are so married to your philosophy that you refuse to see the evidence on the other side. Why do you think Harbaugh took a chance on a bad character guy like Braylon Edwards? If nothing else, that should tell you that Harbaugh KNEW the 49ers were weak at WR.

So your examples are a rookie quarterback who had played in less than 10 career games, and a QB who has almost identical stats and production with Julio Jones out as he did with him playing?

A+ examples. Lol.

Thank you once again proving my point: you are married to your POV and refuse to look at any evidence that does not support it.
QB's make WR's not the other way around. Roddy White was good but Vick wasn't a good passer in Atlanta. Now White is top 10. coincidence? Grownkowski never had more than 20 catches in a season at Uof A, get with Brady and is top 10 in the NFL??
The better question is can we find the receiver to open up this passing game.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
The better question is can we find the receiver to open up this passing game.

Won't matter if we don't throw it.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
QB's make WR's not the other way around. Roddy White was good but Vick wasn't a good passer in Atlanta. Now White is top 10. coincidence? Grownkowski never had more than 20 catches in a season at Uof A, get with Brady and is top 10 in the NFL??

It can go either way.... Back in the late 80's when Montana got hurt, then Young got hurt, a guy by the name of Steve Bono came in and looked just as good as Young and Montana.. As a matter of fact I remember John Madden commenting on a MNF game that if you took the 3 off Bono's jersey and put a 6 you couldn't tell the difference between him and Montana... Bono was throwing to Rice, Taylor, Jones, with Craig and Rathman out of the back field.... Bono went on to KC, where he didn't exactly take the NFL by storm nor the Chiefs anywhere near close to a Superbowl...

Now, I'm not trying to throw my support behind Smith here, I'm in neither the Love of Hate Alex Camp.. As a matter of fact, I'd love to see Matt Flynn signed and be done with the Era of Alex Smith.. All I am saying is, sometimes great receivers can make the QB look better and sometimes the QB can make the receivers look better....
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
It can go either way.... Back in the late 80's when Montana got hurt, then Young got hurt, a guy by the name of Steve Bono came in and looked just as good as Young and Montana.. As a matter of fact I remember John Madden commenting on a MNF game that if you took the 3 off Bono's jersey and put a 6 you couldn't tell the difference between him and Montana... Bono was throwing to Rice, Taylor, Jones, with Craig and Rathman out of the back field.... Bono went on to KC, where he didn't exactly take the NFL by storm nor the Chiefs anywhere near close to a Superbowl...

Now, I'm not trying to throw my support behind Smith here, I'm in neither the Love of Hate Alex Camp.. As a matter of fact, I'd love to see Matt Flynn signed and be done with the Era of Alex Smith.. All I am saying is, sometimes great receivers can make the QB look better and sometimes the QB can make the receivers look better....

You make it sound like its sometimes one way and sometimes the other.....when in reality, the amount of times in recent history that the WRs made the QB look better are few and far between. Where on the flipside, QBs making WRs look good happens over and over again, on a yearly basis.
You make it sound like its sometimes one way and sometimes the other.....when in reality, the amount of times in recent history that the WRs made the QB look better are few and far between. Where on the flipside, QBs making WRs look good happens over and over again, on a yearly basis.

I stand by Walsh's statement of offense needs to be coached, defense needs talent. In this case, I can tell where Roman fell short, at times: enforcing execution. There were some play fakes in the Giants game I wasn't even fooled by. The trick plays in both playoff games were poorly executed. If they had executed, I'm sure they could have gone for decent gains.
Oh hell yah!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
"Can you become president one day?"
"Can you vacation to the moon one day?"
"Can you become a billionaire one day?"

"Yes", "yes" and "yes".

Anything is possible. The question should be rephrased. Something more like, "Would you bet significant money on Alex Smith winning a Super Bowl with the 49ers at some point?"
depending on how are offseason pans out..then yeah i would
we should have won with this roster.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This was his best chance everything was lined up and he was gonna be super bowl MVP. I highly doubt he will make it back to this point ever again.

I hope Im wrong though.

Need an upgrade
the thread should be titled "Can the 49ers win a superbowl with Kyle Williams?"
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

roddgy white was young its called maturing and vick is better than matt ryan anyhow

and i dont dont much about growkowski and his college career but he was the top rated TE coming out of college so somehow i doubt he had lesss than 20 catches

we no the otehr hand have all 6th round picks at WR

morgan KW ginn (traded a 5th for him what hes worth as a WR is probally less)

then we havev 2 UNDFA i swain and hastings

we just dont have the talent at the position period end of story
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

/end thread
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

agreed
Share 49ersWebzone