There are 158 users in the forums

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

question should be can we win a superbowl with these receivers
No. He is too much of a handicap for the Def and ST to constantly have to make up for
  • dj43
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
And it doesnt strike you as weird that all the top QBs in the league just happen to have a great group of WRs? How many really good/great WRs are there in the NFL that produce regardless of QB? I think that list is limited to Larry Fitzgerald.

That is why I gave you Andy Dalton and Matt Ryan. They had exceptional receivers go down and when they did, the QBs had no targets.

If your theory held true, Dalton and Ryan would have just thrown the ball to someone else. They were going well until injuries hit their key receivers.

Your trouble is that your are so married to your philosophy that you refuse to see the evidence on the other side. Why do you think Harbaugh took a chance on a bad character guy like Braylon Edwards? If nothing else, that should tell you that Harbaugh KNEW the 49ers were weak at WR.
[ Edited by dj43 on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM ]
What a dumb question. He should of had his chance to be in the big game this year. Of course he can, with this kind of defense. Did you watch this entire year and playoffs?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Maybe. He does some things well. Like read the field well and not turn it over. But he is pretty bad at taking chances. He is very scared, tenative and gun shy. I'd like to see him be a little more of a gunslinger. We would get more 3rd down conversions, yards, td's and time of possession. We give up too many drives because he is scared to make a throw. Some of it is the WR corps. But some of it is him too.
This.

Only thing I would add is that, im thinking some of his timidness might be his uncertainty with his WR's. I think with a full off season, we will see much more continuity with his receivers and more willing to take a chance going down field.
Not if KW is on the team.
Originally posted by MILFS:

Im actually tired of all the KW bashing, its old, get over it. Play Madden and cut him, edit him and reduce his carrying and trade him to the Giants. KW is young, going to make mistakes. He maned up to it and took responsibility, let it go, the team did.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Maybe. He does some things well. Like read the field well and not turn it over. But he is pretty bad at taking chances. He is very scared, tenative and gun shy. I'd like to see him be a little more of a gunslinger. We would get more 3rd down conversions, yards, td's and time of possession. We give up too many drives because he is scared to make a throw. Some of it is the WR corps. But some of it is him too.
This.

Only thing I would add is that, im thinking some of his timidness might be his uncertainty with his WR's. I think with a full off season, we will see much more continuity with his receivers and more willing to take a chance going down field.
I agree with all of this. Alex can make the throws. He proved that in the NO game. The thing is it really didn't happen until the last five min when it was simply a case of become a gunslinger or we are going to lose. I would like to see a game where we came out like that the entire game, but this does lead to Turnovers so it can be a double edged sword.

Got to think if we had a playmaker who Alex trusted he may just throw the ball up more. Vernon has been that weapon, but we really need one on the outside to make defences honest about putting that 8th man in the box. I may be wrong but just feel that if Morgan had not gotten hurt this year we may be talking about how we are going to beat the Pats in the SB.

Im actually tired of all the KW bashing, its old, get over it. Play Madden and cut him, edit him and reduce his carrying and trade him to the Giants. KW is young, going to make mistakes. He maned up to it and took responsibility, let it go, the team did.

not over it, lol
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

not over it, lol

Exactly... he cost us a trip to the Superbowl. It's not like he choked in week 3. I'll never be over it. Niner fans, let the bashing and venting out. The KW game is one of the darkest games in our history.

Originally posted by dj43:
And it doesnt strike you as weird that all the top QBs in the league just happen to have a great group of WRs? How many really good/great WRs are there in the NFL that produce regardless of QB? I think that list is limited to Larry Fitzgerald.

That is why I gave you Andy Dalton and Matt Ryan. They had exceptional receivers go down and when they did, they QBs had no targets.

If your theory held true, Dalton and Ryan would have just thrown the ball to someone else. They were going well until injuries hit their key receivers.

Your trouble is that your are so married to your philosophy that you refuse to see the evidence on the other side. Why do you think Harbaugh took a chance on a bad character guy like Braylon Edwards? If nothing else, that should tell you that Harbaugh KNEW the 49ers were weak at WR.

So your examples are a rookie quarterback who had played in less than 10 career games, and a QB who has almost identical stats and production with Julio Jones out as he did with him playing?

A+ examples. Lol.
Ok, so what do we do without Alex Smith??

And you have to assume Peyton Manning is not the answer.

My reason for keeping Smith:

He's not elite and may never be elite. But with this defense, running game, and special teams, elite isn't necessary. I think elite is necessary if you need someone to produce a high 3rd down conversion ratio, but if we get enough offensive firepower, we will improve the ratio and also avoid those 3rd downs more often.

Man, we hung on there as ugly as it was offensively. 20-30% better and we would have won the game handily.
  • dj43

That is why I gave you Andy Dalton and Matt Ryan. They had exceptional receivers go down and when they did, they QBs had no targets.

So your examples are a rookie quarterback who had played in less than 10 career games, and a QB who has almost identical stats and production with Julio Jones out as he did with him playing?

A+ examples. Lol.

Thank you once again proving my point: you are married to your POV and refuse to look at any evidence that does not support it.
Bigger Question.....is Alex Smith Mark Sanchez, and is Jim Harbaugh Rex Ryan.....I mean just good enough to get to the Championship but not the big dance?.....Thats what I most worried about...

A+ examples. Lol.

Thank you once again proving my point: you are married to your POV and refuse to look at any evidence that does not support it.

What does my point of view have to do with the "evidence" that you have listed? You listed two horrible examples.
Share 49ersWebzone