LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Maybe. He does some things well. Like read the field well and not turn it over. But he is pretty bad at taking chances. He is very scared, tenative and gun shy. I'd like to see him be a little more of a gunslinger. We would get more 3rd down conversions, yards, td's and time of possession. We give up too many drives because he is scared to make a throw. Some of it is the WR corps. But some of it is him too.

More interceptions too...can't forget.

I think I would live with more interceptions. I think Alex needs to go from 5 a year to about 10. I really mean that. He would take more chances and get more positive plays in other ways.

Omg I actually agree with SD.

Someone has a gun to his head, forcing him to say those things. That is NOT San Diego.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Of course we can. He had a 101 QB rating, 5 TD/0 INT, outplayed Brees and Eli. If not for Kneegate, we'd be in the Super Bowl facing an imo inferior opponent.
Originally posted by vaden:
Of course we can. He had a 101 QB rating, 5 TD/0 INT, outplayed Brees and Eli. If not for Kneegate, we'd be in the Super Bowl facing an imo inferior opponent.

If we have the defense like we did this season yes. They are the main reason for our success. We would be in the superbowl if Kyle didnt miff the punts. Even with the terrible 0 for 10 conversion on 3rd down we still would have been in there. Our defense is the best I seen in a long time. They keep us in the game, unfortunately next season this game managing crap wont work.
with a defense and special teams as good as ours, Yes. he needs more weapons though, we need at least 2 new WRs next year.
Originally posted by ninerball:
Scenario 1: Peyton Manning is healthy and available. I know Alex gave us a good season, but a healthy Peyton would be hard to overlook. We could win a couple of Super Bowls in his 3 to 4 year stay with our all around team including the best defense in the league, stellar special teams and a strong running game. The hope then would be that Colin Kaepernick is ready to assume the mantle after Peyton.

hey peyton, come play for us.

we have a great defense and running game. you won't nearly have to throw as much as you did at indy. the less you throw, the less you get hit.

our oline is improving and we will upgrade our WRs.

and we play outdoors, so you won't have that "dome weakness" that many dome teams do.

come on man, give us a chance, and we can win a few suberbowls together.
[ Edited by jason330i on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:35 AM ]
Si
Yes.
Originally posted by KEGster:
MY BIGGEST QUESTION

Would Smith have been able to win @ NY or @ NO.....I don't think so. The history & nature of the NFL argues that we will have a lesser regular season so I think it's almost a certainty that if we are to win the Super Bowl next year, Alex would have to win on the road at some point.

As fans, all we can do is wonder what kind of weapons the front office gives Alex. The offense sure was rolling with ''3 Number1 draft picks at WR'' with Crab, Ginn & Edwards
weve won quite a bit of games on road this year
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Maybe. He does some things well. Like read the field well and not turn it over. But he is pretty bad at taking chances. He is very scared, tenative and gun shy. I'd like to see him be a little more of a gunslinger. We would get more 3rd down conversions, yards, td's and time of possession. We give up too many drives because he is scared to make a throw. Some of it is the WR corps. But some of it is him too.

I think I would live with more interceptions. I think Alex needs to go from 5 a year to about 10. I really mean that. He would take more chances and get more positive plays in other ways.

Someone has a gun to his head, forcing him to say those things. That is NOT San Diego.

just fyi this is what razzano said before the giants game

and keep in mind this is a guy who said start nate davis over alex smith

. The Niners don't have great separators, and that's why Alex Smith was 31st in the league on third-down conversions. They just don't have a lot of fast, speedy separators. They've got these guys who are more plodders — Crabtree, even (tight end) Delanie Walker."Then there's Ginn. Ginn's a terrible route runner. He's never been a good receiver. Williams is OK, but he's small. He's more of a slot guy. But in terms of outside guys, they have nobody like Hakeem Nicks. And again, that's why they're 31st in the league on third-down conversions."
again im not making excuses for alex he is of course at fault for some of the 3rd down woes but we have to give him some weapons cause as of now we have 1 and thats VD

i dont think its a concidence that VD our only playmaker has 4 TDs in past 2 playoff games get another play maker guy alex will do much better as well as crabtree and davis

I doubt it personally. I think the coaching and defense really carried this team. Its nice to see Alex not being the bust I thought he was but a elite level QB he isnt. He still leaves too many points off the board by staying safe.
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
We made it to the NFC Championship with him and were 2 Kyle William fumbles away from returning to the Super Bowl, and yes I know Alex Smith and the passing game was non existent outside of 2 big plays from Vernon Davis that game, which leads me to the question if we can go all the way with him as our QB.

Hell No , thik about it . if he was gun shy to pull the trigger on lots of plays in the NFC Championship , what do you think he will do in the big Show . He will never change . A lepord can not change its spots !
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

just fyi this is what razzano said before the giants game

and keep in mind this is a guy who said start nate davis over alex smith

. The Niners don't have great separators, and that's why Alex Smith was 31st in the league on third-down conversions. They just don't have a lot of fast, speedy separators. They've got these guys who are more plodders — Crabtree, even (tight end) Delanie Walker."Then there's Ginn. Ginn's a terrible route runner. He's never been a good receiver. Williams is OK, but he's small. He's more of a slot guy. But in terms of outside guys, they have nobody like Hakeem Nicks. And again, that's why they're 31st in the league on third-down conversions."
again im not making excuses for alex he is of course at fault for some of the 3rd down woes but we have to give him some weapons cause as of now we have 1 and thats VD

i dont think its a concidence that VD our only playmaker has 4 TDs in past 2 playoff games get another play maker guy alex will do much better as well as crabtree and davis

Gaint did not have a lot of seperation the Saints did not but Eli and Brees stuck it in there , you have to take chances somtimes !
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I think that he has to do it. For himself. Many of you have forgotten the doubt that surrounded Steve Young for so many years. Alex will win a Super Bowl.
Originally posted by cNiner:
Gaint did not have a lot of seperation the Saints did not but Eli and Brees stuck it in there , you have to take chances somtimes !

sorry i cant really undertand what youre saying but i think youre saying that giants didnt have much seperation?

if you are youre half right

in first half remember all of the conversions went to a speedy victor cruz we shut him down by double teaming him in the 2nd half then they got like no conversions in 2nd half

eli tried to force it and not only did it not work we shouldve had 2 easy picks as a result

forcing it unnecissarily is not something harbaugh encourages only when need be

andrew luck follows the same principles
Share 49ersWebzone