LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Originally posted by ninerfan818:
I am not sure. I think he shows sone positives but the 49ers all world defense kept the team in contention all year. I am thankful for what he
Accomplished but we can only have an elite defense for so long. GoNiners
I am sure. The defense must be kept together to the furthest extent (Rogers, Goldson, Brooks) and we NEED a big play WR (Bowe, Colston). With those things happening, i believe we will be in contention with AS as our QB, barring the injury bug (which we really didn't have this year until the playoffs).
If we had won that game, we would have won the superbowl so yes.
Yes we can!
yes

pretty obvious and self explanatory at this point
Made it to the NFC Championship with'em, two muffed punts and lack of WR('s) away from your question already being answered so yeah of course he can lead, or Game Manage us there.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Maybe. He does some things well. Like read the field well and not turn it over. But he is pretty bad at taking chances. He is very scared, tenative and gun shy. I'd like to see him be a little more of a gunslinger. We would get more 3rd down conversions, yards, td's and time of possession. We give up too many drives because he is scared to make a throw. Some of it is the WR corps. But some of it is him too.

More interceptions too...can't forget.

I think I would live with more interceptions. I think Alex needs to go from 5 a year to about 10. I really mean that. He would take more chances and get more positive plays in other ways.

Omg I actually agree with SD.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Pitts420420:
If Williams doesn't fumble twice he's playing the Super Bowl next week.

This right here!!!!
Originally posted by Pitts420420:
If Williams doesn't fumble twice he's playing the Super Bowl next week.

This.
hell yes
MY BIGGEST QUESTION

Would Smith have been able to win @ NY or @ NO.....I don't think so. The history & nature of the NFL argues that we will have a lesser regular season so I think it's almost a certainty that if we are to win the Super Bowl next year, Alex would have to win on the road at some point.

As fans, all we can do is wonder what kind of weapons the front office gives Alex. The offense sure was rolling with ''3 Number1 draft picks at WR'' with Crab, Ginn & Edwards

Could he have won it with this current squad, maybe? If we upgrade our WR position, could he win it, maybe?
if the defense continues to be one of the best of all time?

he could
This was in incredible golden opportunity. These don't come around every year.

~ The Packers lost.
~ We had home field for the NFC Championship.
~ We had the Giants beat.
~ The Patriots are wounded.
~ The Patriots don't have a good defense.

Then 2 fumbles on punt returns. Blew up maybe no less than a trophy. We could have put another trophy in the case....
NFL history argues we will be back & stronger in 2 years

It might take a couple burns to get the team over the hump. Yes I think we blew a golden opportunity BUT I will say this..... Patriots on carpet sounds very scary. I dunno if our offense would be able to keep up especially with a shaky special teams, at that point.
This is the multi-million dollar franchise future defining question that Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh have to answer. I'm finally over the piercing agony of the defeat, although memories of the loss will linger forever. It won't fade away till we win another Super Bowl. I hope we can do what we did in 1984 after the PI call on Ronnie against the Redskins in 1983 cost us a title shot.

The defeat not withstanding, I'd have to say that this season was a success. Nobody expected the season we had from us. Nobody. Not the analysts, not the fans and perhaps not even the team. I'm happy we're relevant again. I'm happy we have a team that is viewed as one of the most loaded with talent in the NFL. And not just by us homers. I'm happy that many 49ers made the Pro Bowl. Yes, I'd be ecstatic if we were in the Super Bowl, but all things considered, I'm happy with what we were able to achieve. Now, I'm fully into the offseason mode thinking about the scenarios that can play out:

Scenario 1: Peyton Manning is healthy and available. I know Alex gave us a good season, but a healthy Peyton would be hard to overlook. We could win a couple of Super Bowls in his 3 to 4 year stay with our all around team including the best defense in the league, stellar special teams and a strong running game. The hope then would be that Colin Kaepernick is ready to assume the mantle after Peyton.

Scenario 2: Sign Alex and keep building team. There are a lot of ifs around the availability of Peyton. The clearer path is to sign Alex and add WRs and retain key free agents and to keep building this young team. The hope would be that Alex continues to grow and thrive in this offense, especially with a full off-season to improve and the continuity of the coaching staff. The wild card would be Kaepernick who would hopefully improve and compete with Alex for the starter role.

Scenario 3: I don't see any other realistic scenarios. If not Alex or Peyton, there is no other option out there that would upgrade the QB position. I also don't see Kaepernick supplanting Alex the next season.

Now the agony is waiting to see how Baalke/Harbaugh handle the offseason .....
[ Edited by ninerball on Jan 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM ]
"Can you become president one day?"
"Can you vacation to the moon one day?"
"Can you become a billionaire one day?"

"Yes", "yes" and "yes".

Anything is possible. The question should be rephrased. Something more like, "Would you bet significant money on Alex Smith winning a Super Bowl with the 49ers at some point?"
Share 49ersWebzone