LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Maybe. He does some things well. Like read the field well and not turn it over. But he is pretty bad at taking chances. He is very scared, tenative and gun shy. I'd like to see him be a little more of a gunslinger. We would get more 3rd down conversions, yards, td's and time of possession. We give up too many drives because he is scared to make a throw. Some of it is the WR corps. But some of it is him too.

More interceptions too...can't forget.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Maybe. He does some things well. Like read the field well and not turn it over. But he is pretty bad at taking chances. He is very scared, tenative and gun shy. I'd like to see him be a little more of a gunslinger. We would get more 3rd down conversions, yards, td's and time of possession. We give up too many drives because he is scared to make a throw. Some of it is the WR corps. But some of it is him too.

More interceptions too...can't forget.

I think I would live with more interceptions. I think Alex needs to go from 5 a year to about 10. I really mean that. He would take more chances and get more positive plays in other ways.
  • Brew
  • Veteran
We were 2 botched punt returns away from a superbowl ring this year.
Had we gotten past the giants, it'd be smooth sailing against the patriots minus gronk.
They don't have nearly the personnel the giants have.
Yes.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Baltimore won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, enough said.
Originally posted by Brew:
Had we gotten past the giants, it'd be smooth sailing against the patriots minus gronk.

Yeah funny enough a wounded Patriots squad withouth Gronk at full strength and their already weak defense and I think we really win. What a shame. 2 muffed punts from probably a Super Bowl trophy. I think we not only go. I think we win.....
  • Brew
  • Veteran

Yeah funny enough a wounded Patriots squad withouth Gronk at full strength and their already weak defense and I think we really win. What a shame. 2 muffed punts from probably a Super Bowl trophy. I think we not only go. I think we win.....

There's always next year. But then again next year's schedule is a bear and plus seattle, st louis, and arizona will get stronger
should have won one this year...just had the ball bounce the wrong way on a punt and a quick whistle...
Ask Kyle Williams.

There's always next year. But then again next year's schedule is a bear and plus seattle, st louis, and arizona will get stronger

This was in incredible golden opportunity. These don't come around every year.

~ The Packers lost.
~ We had home field for the NFC Championship.
~ We had the Giants beat.
~ The Patriots are wounded.
~ The Patriots don't have a good defense.

Then 2 fumbles on punt returns. Blew up maybe no less than a trophy. We could have put another trophy in the case....

• Brew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Ask Kyle Williams.

Hey Kyle! Can Alex Smith win a superbowl for us?
We might have WON the SB......

Time will tell
I am not sure. I think he shows sone positives but the 49ers all world defense kept the team in contention all year. I am thankful for what he
Accomplished but we can only have an elite defense for so long. GoNiners
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Ask Kyle Williams.

Hey Kyle! Can Alex Smith win a superbowl for us?

I'm still waiting for Kyle's response
Sure they can - as long as the defense remains top tier. Would it be easier with a better QB? Sure. I wont doubt Alex's ability to lead when he has to, but that doesn't mean we can't find or groom someone better.
Share 49ersWebzone