There are 173 users in the forums

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

We made it to the NFC Championship with him and were 2 Kyle William fumbles away from returning to the Super Bowl, and yes I know Alex Smith and the passing game was non existent outside of 2 big plays from Vernon Davis that game, which leads me to the question if we can go all the way with him as our QB.
Yes Smith can. When the guy got the team to the NFC Champ game like he did. He certainly can. We can look at Steve Young on how he struggled to overcome several NFC Champ game losses to get to the SB as an example of what the expectation should be. And no matter how good he is, still needs other guys around him on the team to get to the SB. It's a team sport so there's always this cotangent of expectations. In the one hand people will say he can get us to the SB, but at the same time he has to have the other talent around him to do it too.
I believe so. With a legit and healthy receiving corps . . . so long as we get the band back together on the defensive side of the ball.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I believe so. With a legit and healthy receiving corps . . . so long as we get the band back together on the defensive side of the ball.

Basically if Josh Morgan had stayed healthy we'd be in the Super Bowl.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
If we get lucky and have an elite defense and special teams and stay injury free.

Basically it could happen but a lot of other needs to fall into place.

In other words don't bet farm on it.
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Basically if Josh Morgan had stayed healthy we'd be in the Super Bowl.

And Ginn . . .
If Williams doesn't fumble twice he's playing the Super Bowl next week.
seeing we shouldve beat the giants i cant see how any1 can answer no

especially witht he pathethic WR corps we have and the fact we are year 1 in harbaughs offense where there was no offseason
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Yes, provided he has the #1 D and #1 ST and #1 average starting field position in the NFL and a minimum of three years in an offensive system with no coaching staff turnover.
Yes. Alex will become an even better QB in his second year with Harbaugh and Romans. We just need to upgrade the WR position one way or another.

almost got there this year
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Yes, most definitely.
Yea
This year he helped take us to the Championship game.

Smith's career is still ascending contrary to what most Smith critics have predicted. He will only get better so the answer is yes.
Maybe. He does some things well. Like read the field well and not turn it over. But he is pretty bad at taking chances. He is very scared, tenative and gun shy. I'd like to see him be a little more of a gunslinger. We would get more 3rd down conversions, yards, td's and time of possession. We give up too many drives because he is scared to make a throw. Some of it is the WR corps. But some of it is him too.
Share 49ersWebzone