There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012 San Francisco 49ers FA Targets / Draft Needs Thread (Niner Talk Edition)

True b
Originally posted by cgida:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
When I was watching the Patriots Ravens game I was most impressed with Wes Welker's ability to go to the ground to catch a ball. He was sold out to catch a ball. I hope that this years off season brings us a couple of players that have Welker's desire to catch a ball at any cost, with Belitnikoff hands. To me it seems that unless the ball is almost perfectly thrown several of our receivers can not, or will not, catch it. Where can we get big, fast, receivers that will go out to catch the bad ball and keep us moving the chains?

Even Belitnikoff wouldn't have the same hands today since they outlawed stickum.

But the issue with Welker is he would be willing to fall to the ground to catch a pass. He would stretch out to catch a pass and he has fantastic hands. Most of Brady's passes are on target but when they are not Welker goes and gets the ball. Our receivers do not like to get dirty and go and get the ball. If it is not on their hands they have difficulty adjusting to get it. Crabtree is willing to jump to get a ball, but to lay out for a ball is difficult. So what I want is someone who will come back to the QB, lay out, fall down, whatever he has to do to get to the ball, and then catch the thing. Is there such a player in the draft this year?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Wonder if we go after Plax again? Reggie Wayne? 9ers are kind of cheap about going after other team FAs.

Signing another teams' FAs means that you pay absolutely top-dollar for a guy that you hope will have a career season or three with you. You hope they are of good character so they do not destroy the locker room. You hope they stay healthy, and you hope they have at least the years they have had in the past.

If history has shown us anything, it is that the most expensive FAs rarely have their best years AFTER signing with the new team. Nate Clements is one good example that we all know about but there have been many others.

Three of the top four FA WRs this year all have character issues:

DeSean Jackson - don't have to even mention it

Bowe - has been known to lay down on the team. Had a big problem with HC although some of that may have been on the coach.

Vincent Jackson - a known dog when things don't go his way. Also had a Michael Crabtree-like holdout on his team.

Marques Colston is the only reasonable risk and it is not clear how good he would be without the group of other talented receivers around him.

I expect the 49ers to "build through the draft," which has been Baalke MO from the beginning.
I agree with the team's philosophy (not that anyone gives a cup of spit) of not going after top FAs. Instead, go after FAs who have been abused by their teams (Rogers) or those with potential that have been lower down on the dept chart. In terms of the latter, check out the Saints FA list, for instance, for potentially solid WRs. Another thing, the 49ers were 3 points away from the SB this year with a subpar WR core, which means this team doesn't necessarily need to have a star WR. Just one or two WRs that are better than those currently on the team.
When does FA begin?
Originally posted by RollinDownRodeo:
When does FA begin?

I think it is the first Friday in March at 12:00 am eastern timezone.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by greywolf447:
As far as playmakers on offense here is what I would do.

FREE AGENCY

Sign either Vincent Jackson or Dewayne Bowe in free agency. If we are unable to get one of those two I would then try to get Colston (I would put him 3rd because he is injury prone).

I would resign Ginn(for obvious reasons) and Josh Morgan.

DRAFT

1st round Mohamed Sanu (6'2" 215 lbs. I have watched some of his videos on youtube and he is very impressive.) 115 rec for 1,206 yards and 7 td or Alshon Jeffery (6'4" 229 lbs and was a big target in the redzone. Had 8 td this year)

2nd round Coby Fleener (6'6" and 244 lbs and played for JH at Stanford) That is IF he is still available. Most mocks I have looked at have him going in the second round and this is what I am basing it on.

3rd round Doug Martin (5"9" 215 lbs and runs with vision and purpose. Not to mention he is a great blocker and can catch out of the backfield)

WR
1- Vincent Jackson 6'5" 230 lbs.
2- Michael Crabtree 6'1" 214 lbs.
3- Josh Morgan 6'1" 215 lbs
4- Mohamed Sanu 6'2" 215 lbs or Alshon Jeffery 6'4" 229 lbs.
5- Teddy Ginn 5'11" 180 lbs.
6- If we keep 6 I think it will be between Kyle Williams, Brett Swain, and another draft pick.

TE/H back

1- Vernon Davis 6'3" 250 lbs.
2- Delanie Walker 6' 242 lbs. The multiple ways we use him I think of him as a H-back.
3- Coby Fleener 6'6" 244 lbs.

RB

1- Frank Gore 5'9" 217 lbs.
2- Kendall Hunter 5'7" 199 lbs.
3- Doug Martin 5'9" 215 lbs.

If we can make this happen we would be a very formidable team. We should not have any problems in the redzone with those players.

I like the way you think sir! if we can make this happen then we could have the most weapons then anyother offense

just creamed my pants a little right now

I jizzed in my pants when I was typing it. LOL!!!
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
As far as playmakers on offense here is what I would do.

FREE AGENCY

Sign either Vincent Jackson or Dewayne Bowe in free agency. If we are unable to get one of those two I would then try to get Colston (I would put him 3rd because he is injury prone).

I would resign Ginn(for obvious reasons) and Josh Morgan.

DRAFT

1st round Mohamed Sanu (6'2" 215 lbs. I have watched some of his videos on youtube and he is very impressive.) 115 rec for 1,206 yards and 7 td or Alshon Jeffery (6'4" 229 lbs and was a big target in the redzone. Had 8 td this year)

2nd round Coby Fleener (6'6" and 244 lbs and played for JH at Stanford) That is IF he is still available. Most mocks I have looked at have him going in the second round and this is what I am basing it on.

3rd round Doug Martin (5"9" 215 lbs and runs with vision and purpose. Not to mention he is a great blocker and can catch out of the backfield)

WR
1- Vincent Jackson 6'5" 230 lbs.
2- Michael Crabtree 6'1" 214 lbs.
3- Josh Morgan 6'1" 215 lbs
4- Mohamed Sanu 6'2" 215 lbs or Alshon Jeffery 6'4" 229 lbs.
5- Teddy Ginn 5'11" 180 lbs.
6- If we keep 6 I think it will be between Kyle Williams, Brett Swain, and another draft pick.

TE/H back

1- Vernon Davis 6'3" 250 lbs.
2- Delanie Walker 6' 242 lbs. The multiple ways we use him I think of him as a H-back.
3- Coby Fleener 6'6" 244 lbs.

RB

1- Frank Gore 5'9" 217 lbs.
2- Kendall Hunter 5'7" 199 lbs.
3- Doug Martin 5'9" 215 lbs.

If we can make this happen we would be a very formidable team. We should not have any problems in the redzone with those players.

I like the way you think sir! if we can make this happen then we could have the most weapons then anyother offense

just creamed my pants a little right now

I jizzed in my pants when I was typing it. LOL!!!

This video cracks me up every time I see it.

How about the niner's try to sign this guy and see what he can do or even just an invite for training camp, he's not with ATL no more, he's a FA now.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 9erred:
While your at it wish for a QB who
1. never gets intercepted
2. Never throws an incompletion
3. Throws the WR open
4. Hits the WR in stride
5. Perfect clock management
6. Never gets injured or sick
7. Reads defenses and audibles to the perfect play call every time.
8. Throws for 500 yards, 5 TD's with zero picks every game.

You just described Tolzien

I must say watching Tolzien's highlights, he was the Philip Rivers throwing motion with accuracy and Drew Brees pump fake, good combo.
Originally posted by dj43:
Wonder if we go after Plax again? Reggie Wayne? 9ers are kind of cheap about going after other team FAs.

Signing another teams' FAs means that you pay absolutely top-dollar for a guy that you hope will have a career season or three with you. You hope they are of good character so they do not destroy the locker room. You hope they stay healthy, and you hope they have at least the years they have had in the past.

If history has shown us anything, it is that the most expensive FAs rarely have their best years AFTER signing with the new team. Nate Clements is one good example that we all know about but there have been many others.

Bowe - has been known to lay down on the team. Had a big problem with HC although some of that may have been on the coach.

Vincent Jackson - a known dog when things don't go his way. Also had a Michael Crabtree-like holdout on his team.

Marques Colston is the only reasonable risk and it is not clear how good he would be without the group of other talented receivers around him.

I expect the 49ers to "build through the draft," which has been Baalke MO from the beginning.

what about Wayne dude? He is a consummate professional(think that's the expression I'm looking for), can still play, runs great routes, and has a few good years left. Rarely drops anything.
what about Wayne dude? He is a consummate professional(think that's the expression I'm looking for), can still play, runs great routes, and has a few good years left. Rarely drops anything.

I think Peyton Manning would approve.
Originally posted by dj43:

I would be fine with Reggie Wayne. Indy will be a mess, even with the wunderkind Luck. I don't see him spending his last 2 or 3 years teaching a rookie how to play. He is 33 and might settle for a 2 year $10MILLION deal with incentives and an option to extend. He wouldn't solve the speed or size problem but he could be a very good possession guy.
Anybody watching the Senior Bowl this weekend?
I think this guy have a big potential in the NFL. He sorta reminds you of A. Rodgers
  • mike
  • Veteran
I think when you're talking about #1 WRs there's a certain amount of diva in almost everyone. If we lose ginn Desean is the only guy I want, otherwise who returns? Williams?

But ginn shouldn't be that expensive. I think there are a few cheaper options than the top 5 or 6 guys on the list, one might be meachem if the saints get strapped for cash he's the first to go. They'd rather keep Brees' #1 target in colston.

Reggie wayne would be a solid option too.