There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012 San Francisco 49ers FA Targets / Draft Needs Thread (Niner Talk Edition)

how bout this scenario?

CB situation- let rogers walk and sign Finnegan (finnegan is younger, excellent in run support, and great in coverage).
Also use our 1st rounder for a CB like janoris jenkins or stephen gilmore or chase minifield

CB depth- Finnegan, 1st round CB, Tbrown, Brock

WR situation- sign desean jackson and draft a receiver in the 2nd like Brian Quick or Stephen Hill.
Let Ginn walk

WR depth- Djax, 2nd round WR, Morgan, Crabtree, Williams
Originally posted by Red_Gold18:
Just seen this: I don't know if this is an opinion by someone who made up this topic, or if Jim harbaugh is really interested in this guy!
http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/1/24/2730556/2012-nfl-free-agents-peyton-hillis-san-francisco-49ers

Tom Rathman will make this guy great.
Remember Harbaugh really wants to bring Joshua Morgan back...I'm hoping they make a play for Wallace or Bowe. Morgan was coming into his own until he broke his leg. Alex Smith was doing a decent job in the playoffs but his recievers weren't helping him. Only Davis was catching the ball. I think resigning Morgan is huge, especially since his chemistry with Alex was becoming apparent. Having someone like Wallace or Bowe will stretch the field have Crabs on the opposite side and Morgan in the slot and Vernon at the line. I think that would definitely have Smith cut it lose More so than he did in the playoffs. I also think they should franchise Goldson and re-sign Rogers to the long term deal he wants. Does anyone know how much cap space there is?
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
how bout this scenario?

CB situation- let rogers walk

I wouldnt let this guy walk, I'd have him in the locker room so the young DBS can absorb any and everything this guy has on tap.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I wouldnt let this guy walk, I'd have him in the locker room so the young DBS can absorb any and everything this guy has on tap.

He may not be Deion-esque in terms of talent, but his situation is somewhat Deion-esque. The 49ers can't let him go, because good corners are hard to replace. Hmm..maybe not Deion, but almost Eric Davis like situation. I still remember the 49ers were trying to find that Eric Davis replacement for a long long time.
Originally posted by lssanjose:

He may not be Deion-esque in terms of talent, but his situation is somewhat Deion-esque. The 49ers can't let him go, because good corners are hard to replace. Hmm..maybe not Deion, but almost Eric Davis like situation. I still remember the 49ers were trying to find that Eric Davis replacement for a long long time.

i just dont want to pay too much for an older CB. he is no charles woodson or champ bailey. 30s are usually the downturn of CBs' careers
how bout this scenario?

CB situation- let rogers walk and sign Finnegan (finnegan is younger, excellent in run support, and great in coverage).
Also use our 1st rounder for a CB like janoris jenkins or stephen gilmore or chase minifield

CB depth- Finnegan, 1st round CB, Tbrown, Brock

WR situation- sign desean jackson and draft a receiver in the 2nd like Brian Quick or Stephen Hill.
Let Ginn walk

WR depth- Djax, 2nd round WR, Morgan, Crabtree, Williams

No you don't let your pro-bowl corner in Rogers walk

you don't let ginn walk because he's the only returner we've got

Bring in enough competition to dump Williams who is worthless
Originally posted by lssanjose:

i just dont want to pay too much for an older CB. he is no charles woodson or champ bailey. 30s are usually the downturn of CBs' careers

Walt Harris
As far as playmakers on offense here is what I would do.

FREE AGENCY

Sign either Vincent Jackson or Dewayne Bowe in free agency. If we are unable to get one of those two I would then try to get Colston (I would put him 3rd because he is injury prone).

I would resign Ginn(for obvious reasons) and Josh Morgan.

DRAFT

1st round Mohamed Sanu (6'2" 215 lbs. I have watched some of his videos on youtube and he is very impressive.) 115 rec for 1,206 yards and 7 td or Alshon Jeffery (6'4" 229 lbs and was a big target in the redzone. Had 8 td this year)

2nd round Coby Fleener (6'6" and 244 lbs and played for JH at Stanford) That is IF he is still available. Most mocks I have looked at have him going in the second round and this is what I am basing it on.

3rd round Doug Martin (5"9" 215 lbs and runs with vision and purpose. Not to mention he is a great blocker and can catch out of the backfield)

WR
1- Vincent Jackson 6'5" 230 lbs.
2- Michael Crabtree 6'1" 214 lbs.
3- Josh Morgan 6'1" 215 lbs
4- Mohamed Sanu 6'2" 215 lbs or Alshon Jeffery 6'4" 229 lbs.
5- Teddy Ginn 5'11" 180 lbs.
6- If we keep 6 I think it will be between Kyle Williams, Brett Swain, and another draft pick.

TE/H back

1- Vernon Davis 6'3" 250 lbs.
2- Delanie Walker 6' 242 lbs. The multiple ways we use him I think of him as a H-back.
3- Coby Fleener 6'6" 244 lbs.

RB

1- Frank Gore 5'9" 217 lbs.
2- Kendall Hunter 5'7" 199 lbs.
3- Doug Martin 5'9" 215 lbs.

If we can make this happen we would be a very formidable team. We should not have any problems in the redzone with those players.
i think alex smith can get it done for us. he didnt play great but he still had 2td's w/no int's. despite a ferocious pass rush and only 1 receiving threat in VD. crabtree is a possesion receiver in my eyes. we need to add more wr threats. i'm not 100% sure that crab is a legit #1 wr (yet). we need a burner and a legit #1 wr. i like desean jackson as well as dwayne bowe. either of them would be a great addition. we should still draft a starting caliber wr. i think with more threats we can have an explosive offense. roman is very creative with his playcallling and alex can get it done. i wasnt sold on him early, but he has improved so much. the deep balls to VD were nice passes. he make those types of throws regularly now. i think he will possibly improve more next season. more threats will almost guarantee that. it will be harder to focus solely on crabtree or VD as well as open things up in the running game.
First, re-sign Morgan. Harbaugh really likes him, and when you consider the start he was off to, it's understandable. Draft Coby Fleener...he's Harbaugh's guy, from Stanford, a WR in a TE's body...great hands. Sign one of these FA's: Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Mario Manningham, among others. Draft a fast WR. One good thing at this point is there aren't multiple position needs as in the past. Of those FA's, I'd prefer Vincent Jackson...tough WR who always seems to get open...fights for the ball, all the things Crabtree ISN'T doing.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If I was an elite reciever, no way in hell would I want to go to the Niners......just saying.

But therein lies the problem. Didn't we have the most Pro-Bowler's of any team? They are ALL going to want big money.

How many Pro-Bowl defenders do we lose to acquire our super WR?
well i believe most of our pro bowlers are on contract besides goldson/rodgers.. soo shuldnt be too hard
Im down with Bowe, and the TE from Stanford. Those are two solid weapons. Thing about this season wa sWR was our one Big Weakness. I would have hated to go to the super bowl with Crab, KW and Swain as our WR thats just pathetic. This team need a stud WR. Morgan will be ok as a 3rd Crabs as a 2 but we need that numba 1 still draft picks could take tim ethis team is ready to win now. Get Bowe or Vjack we need a big time player. and this team will be back in the hunt for theSB! oh an dcut Kyle williams 3 fumbles in te biggest game of the season.. don't want that on our field again.
We need in the draft:

WR
Center/Guard
Safety
RB

Not sure how much more physically Frank has to give. Has to make sure we have a starter caliber RB incase Frank can't get back from his little nagging injuries next year. We need to keep Larry Grant also. He proved to be a good backup to Willis/Bowman
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM ]
As much as we all want big name WRs, theres little chance Balks will pull the trigger on it unless the big named WRs consider the low ball offer. The last big name WR didnt work out too well.