LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 205 users in the forums

4th and 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by elguapo:
Why we did not go for 4th and 1 on either of the two opportunities. Both were attainable and one was I believe in giants territory the other close to the 50. The defense is playing well but 1 yard???? I think we could of converted even with Alex on a qb sneak their run d is average at best.

Exactly..too many mistakes..too conservative..
Originally posted by MCrabs15:
We punted it and they didn't score off of that drive. Why are we having this discussion?

Lol seriously?

Maybe b/c we would've scored?
+1 on the last post. So many lost opportunities.
Originally posted by merm49:
The first no-go immediately rekindled memories of Harbaugh's early season misplay vs. DAL when he took the points instead of the field position; the 2nd proved that he had gotten conservative.

Which is asinine, seeing as he went balls-to-the-wall make Alex Smith a hero play calling after the FG drive when the run had been killing them. I had a long argument with my dad about this after the game. My basic point was that if we run the ball after our FG drive, we win the game. He says no because their D was stopping us. I point out that yes they were stopping us, but only on passes and 2 hard to make downs/distances running. He says they'd have adjusted to the run if we went with it. I contend that nothing in the flow of the game suggested they'd be able to do so, which ended the argument.

Early in the season I felt we were too conservative; late in the year we seemed to go too far the other direction. Ironically, if we play on O this game like we did the first 9 of the season, we win it and go to the SB.

I agree. The last half of the season we passed on first down way too much. We should have run the ball a little more. We got too cute with the offense and we needed tp play a little smash mouth more.
[ Edited by Husker49er on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:53 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
The better question is why the hell was Dixon given the carry on third and one. Where was Gore?
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Lol seriously?

Maybe b/c we would've scored?
Maybe they would have stopped it and we would have got it turned over. The maybe game is idiotic, and their is no reason to talk about it.
Originally posted by kray28:
Harbaugh loves to play not to lose. I thought last week might have rid him of that a bit....apparently not.

Still he did take some chances today....

That botched end around in the first quarter should have clued us in to disaster that would ensure when we put our fate into Kyle Williams' hands.

This really looked like JH really made the gameplan around Kyle Williams,IMO, just too bad he had a bad game....
  • SF14
  • Veteran
Why we did not go for 4th and 1 on either of the two opportunities. Both were attainable and one was I believe in giants territory the other close to the 50. The defense is playing well but 1 yard???? I think we could of converted even with Alex on a qb sneak their run d is average at best.

At the time our defense was on fire in the 2nd half and I could totally understand not going for it on 4th. Of course, Jim and the crew are looking back at it now and probably regret not going for it in Giant's territory. Then again, nothing is guaranteed going for it on 4th and 1. Honestly, I go for it only because its in Giant's territory and its a playoff game, regular season not so much tho .
Originally posted by dhp318:
Reminded me of how conservative we went in that Cowboys game, and wouldn't you know it, both are OT losses. Play to win the game.

Nice call -- good memory, you're on to something there.
A better question was why Anthony Dixon got those 2 short yardage carries and not Gore. Dixon is maybe the worst short yardage back I have ever seen.

Any coach would be crazy to intentionally give the opposing team the ball at or around mid field with the game on the line. Pin em back and make them string a bunch of plays together against or defense and try giving our offense a short field since we have a hard time stringing enough plays together to drive the length of the field.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
A better question was why Anthony Dixon got those 2 short yardage carries and not Gore. Dixon is maybe the worst short yardage back I have ever seen.
i have been asking that all day, someone said he asked to be taken out! if that is true,,wow
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
i have been asking that all day, someone said he asked to be taken out! if that is true,,wow

then how about Hunter?? Dixon hasnt proven he can get tough yards. At least Hunter would be quick enough to find or squeeze through a hole.
Originally posted by merm49:
The first no-go immediately rekindled memories of Harbaugh's early season misplay vs. DAL when he took the points instead of the field position; the 2nd proved that he had gotten conservative.

Which is asinine, seeing as he went balls-to-the-wall make Alex Smith a hero play calling after the FG drive when the run had been killing them. I had a long argument with my dad about this after the game. My basic point was that if we run the ball after our FG drive, we win the game. He says no because their D was stopping us. I point out that yes they were stopping us, but only on passes and 2 hard to make downs/distances running. He says they'd have adjusted to the run if we went with it. I contend that nothing in the flow of the game suggested they'd be able to do so, which ended the argument.

Early in the season I felt we were too conservative; late in the year we seemed to go too far the other direction. Ironically, if we play on O this game like we did the first 9 of the season, we win it and go to the SB.
More runs would have at least run the clock down a little. I'm not sure about going for it on 4th, but how about running on first or second down when we had the lead.
Share 49ersWebzone