There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

4th and 1

Why we did not go for 4th and 1 on either of the two opportunities. Both were attainable and one was I believe in giants territory the other close to the 50. The defense is playing well but 1 yard???? I think we could of converted even with Alex on a qb sneak their run d is average at best.
This had me scratching my head. We have been pretty aggressive on 4th down playcalling all year, but suddenly pulled the reins back and do nothing.
Reminded me of how conservative we went in that Cowboys game, and wouldn't you know it, both are OT losses. Play to win the game.
It was a defensive battle at that point. Not converting would give the Giants the ball around midfield. Based on the way the game was playing out, it was better to punt and pin them deep in their zone. No way the Giants were gonna drive the length of the field for a TD. Our defense was beating the s**t out of them in the 2nd half/OT. The 2 turnovers is the only thing that allowed the Giants to score points.
Seriously...at least go for the one in NYC territory wow.....at least we beat ourselves not the giants beating us. The giants scored 10 points plus knocking out the ball for the overtime 3 but the giants did absolutely nothing to get the muffed punt.....so at least we know sf did enough to win today. We just needed to be one player healthier. Even if we activated ginn to fair catch and return kicks that would of saved the niners game.
The first no-go immediately rekindled memories of Harbaugh's early season misplay vs. DAL when he took the points instead of the field position; the 2nd proved that he had gotten conservative.

Which is asinine, seeing as he went balls-to-the-wall make Alex Smith a hero play calling after the FG drive when the run had been killing them. I had a long argument with my dad about this after the game. My basic point was that if we run the ball after our FG drive, we win the game. He says no because their D was stopping us. I point out that yes they were stopping us, but only on passes and 2 hard to make downs/distances running. He says they'd have adjusted to the run if we went with it. I contend that nothing in the flow of the game suggested they'd be able to do so, which ended the argument.

Early in the season I felt we were too conservative; late in the year we seemed to go too far the other direction. Ironically, if we play on O this game like we did the first 9 of the season, we win it and go to the SB.
Coaching is not as good as the media wants you to believe.

We won games this years on the same type of plays we lost games last year, and today- stripped balls and blocked passes. It has nothing to do with coaching; only players stepping up or sucking cock.
Simple: Jim was watching his brother's game a half hour previous.

Flacco on 4th and 6.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Flacco on 4th and 6.

4th and 6 isn't 4th and 1 with a running game that was rolling.
I too was wondering why we didn't give our chance to win.. our defense was playing outstanding and I really thought that we coulda' gotten those 4th and 1 and get more momentum...
Harbaugh loves to play not to lose. I thought last week might have rid him of that a bit....apparently not.

Still he did take some chances today....

That botched end around in the first quarter should have clued us in to disaster that would ensure when we put our fate into Kyle Williams' hands.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Reminded me of how conservative we went in that Cowboys game, and wouldn't you know it, both are OT losses. Play to win the game.

this plus:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Flacco on 4th and 6.

4th and 6 isn't 4th and 1 with a running game that was rolling.
I 100% agree with the calls. Honestly, I think coaches and fans of today are nuts when it comes to this. 4th and short between the 40 and the 40 use to be a no brainer and imo should still be.

It is a punt situation all the time if you ask me.....with the only exception if you are late in the game and your offense is generally more reliable than your defense....which obviously does not apply to us
[ Edited by danimal on Jan 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM ]
We punted it and they didn't score off of that drive. Why are we having this discussion?
Originally posted by MCrabs15:
We punted it and they didn't score off of that drive. Why are we having this discussion?

Well let's see......how about WE may of scored if we got the first down.....so why are you having this discussion?