There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Defense Thread

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Joecool:
So, you are saying it is OK for Alex Smith, vs a crap defense vs the pass, played as good as a QB playing against one of THE BEST DEFENSES ever?

Alex should have doubled Eli's stats vs the NYG defense.

You need to stop with this "crap defense" BS when referring to the Giants. That is a very good D that has been playing lights out.

Their coverage has been terrible all year, including the GB game. They didn't get a sack until the 3rd quarter. Our OL was blocking them very well. They can't stop the run.

They couldn't even double team a TE properly.

All that defense has is their DL.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 26, 2012 at 9:24 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Peyton Manning would look great in red and gold.

Get that out of your head now. IT WON'T HAPPEN!!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
IDGAF! Our D this year was the best in NFL history.

To take into account how much the game favors the offense, for our defense to play they way they did this year really shows how dominant we were. Yes the 2000 Ravens were very good, no doubt about it but they also didn't play ONE elite QB in a pass happy league. They played:

Kordell Stewart (twice)
Jay Fiedler
Mark Brunell (Twice)
Akili Smith (Twice)
Tim Couch (Twice)
Steve Mcnair (Twice)
Brad Johnson (he was horrible on the Redskins that season)
Troy Aikman (Declining and ended the season with 7 Td's and 14 INT's )
Ray Leaf
Jake Plummer

None of those QB's would be considered "elite". While we played:

Big Ben
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
Matthew Stafford
Tony Romo

All in which had some GREAT seasons THIS YEAR in a wide open, can barely touch the opposing player, league. I think our defense is better then the Ravens of 2000. I don't care about their stats, they played diddily squat when it comes to talent on offense. We played some very good to elite QB's quite a bit this season and still dominated with a 13-3 record, best run defense in football, and held those high scoring offenses low enough to where our 25th overall ranked offense could put up enough points to beat them.

2011 49ers defense > 2000 Ravens defense
[ Edited by Sims84 on Jan 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM ]
also the fact that not a single rushing TD or 100 yard game was given up until week 16?? C'mon! Fkn BOSS!
Originally posted by PTulini:

i could see us bringing in Manning....to replace Roman, not Smith.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Manning is going the Cardinals

#FACT
So, you are saying it is OK for Alex Smith, vs a crap defense vs the pass, played as good as a QB playing against one of THE BEST DEFENSES ever?

Alex should have doubled Eli's stats vs the NYG defense.

You need to stop with this "crap defense" BS when referring to the Giants. That is a very good D that has been playing lights out.

Their coverage has been terrible all year, including the GB game. They didn't get a sack until the 3rd quarter. Our OL was blocking them very well. They can't stop the run.

They were very good once they got Osi back, and Corey Webster basically stood guard and had to give permission whenever Crabtree wanted to take a piss. Plus, they had Michael Boley back. Our OL was blocking them okay, but I wouldn't say "very well."

They shut out a Falcons team that has way better weapons than we do and beat the Packers.
Originally posted by valrod33:

#FACT

Miami is trying to make a play for Manning supposedly.

#FACT

I hope he doesn't, because I know the 49ers will be the team that breaks his neck once and for all and then Goodell will take away all of our draft picks and destroy our stadium and make us play in a parking lot.

#FACT

What about all the money they paid for Kevin Kolb? It hasn't even been one year yet.

I still say Manning goes to the Miami Dolphins. Besides, Joe Philbin is the HC and it looks like Mike Sherman will be the OC.

I don't care how the D played all year, I care about how they are playing now. The Giants as a team didn't play that great all year, but are playing well now. They shut ATL down.. Then went into GB and shut them down. I don't want to hear that the WR's didn't get open. Fact is plays were not made and you can attribute a lot of that to the D. I also like how it was their inability to cover the TE rather than concede Alex made some nice throws. I guess that means the Niners can't properly cover a TE either based on what Graham did to them. Its clear you just want to pin all of their offensive deficiencies on Smith.

I don't care how the D played all year, I care about how they are playing now. The Giants as a team didn't play that great all year, but are playing well now. They shut ATL down.. Then went into GB and shut them down. I don't want to hear that the WR's didn't get open. Fact is plays were not made and you can attribute a lot of that to the D. I also like how it was their inability to cover the TE rather than concede Alex made some nice throws. I guess that means the Niners can't properly cover a TE either based on what Graham did to them. Its clear you just want to pin all of their offensive deficiencies on Smith.

No. What I'm saying is that you can't compare the Giant's Defense to our Defense. Smith was playing vs a weaker Defense whereas Eli was playing against one of the 10 best Defenses, possibly ever. So to make a claim that Alex's stats were similar to Eli's is not accurate at all. One QB had a much tougher task to make plays happen. The other one missed 2 would be TD's and a few other open looks where he refused to throw the ball.

One still threw his receivers open while getting his chinstrap planted on his forehead while the other heavily relied on play design and sometimes not even then. One pump faked to a slot receiver that got Pascoe wide open while the other never pumped at all.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i hope our defense is even better next year

Well if we can manage to keep everyone together I don't see why not.

pretty much.
No. What I'm saying is that you can't compare the Giant's Defense to our Defense. Smith was playing vs a weaker Defense whereas Eli was playing against one of the 10 best Defenses, possibly ever. So to make a claim that Alex's stats were similar to Eli's is not accurate at all. One QB had a much tougher task to make plays happen. The other one missed 2 would be TD's and a few other open looks where he refused to throw the ball.

One still threw his receivers open while getting his chinstrap planted on his forehead while the other heavily relied on play design and sometimes not even then. One pump faked to a slot receiver that got Pascoe wide open while the other never pumped at all.

I understand, just pointing out that the Giants D is no slouch.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i hope our defense is even better next year

Well if we can manage to keep everyone together I don't see why not.

pretty much.

I'm not a believer in this. You don't want to keep everyone together all the time because that means more money and higher age. I think we keep trying to get faster or younger by about 2 or 3 positions every year. The longer players stay, the more it will affect our Defense/Offense when they leave.