There are 208 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Defense Thread

I can see it getting better. We tried to add a few wrinkles this weekend and some were successful, like the corner blitzing.
Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The best defense is a good offense.

yeah ask the packers and saints and lions how that worked out for them

We aren't the Packers, Saints or Lions. What I meant is if we had a good offense, our defense would be even better.

By the way, you conveniently forgot about New England, who's offense has carried their defense to the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, our 49ers will be watching at home, great defense and all. Oh, and the other team in the Super Bowl, their defense isn't all that great outside of their D-line, but their offense helps keep them off the field. Seems to be working for them.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM ]
I predict we will be on the level of the 84 Bears and 00 Ravens next season......

Mike Ditka often said this season this years team reminded him of the 84 Bears in that we were good but not yet put it all the way together yet.
shortended pre-season was supposed to keep us below .500

ended up being the shortended pre-season contributed to keeping us out of the SB (along with other things which shall be saved for other threads)

....................................................................................................
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
I can see it getting better. We tried to add a few wrinkles this weekend and some were successful, like the corner blitzing.

I agree...we could do SO much more with moving our OLB's around to create and exploit mismatches along the OL, use Bowman/Willis much more in blitz situations, CB blitzes and really, there is no reason not to bring Goldson/Whitner on S blitzes too b/c they are already in the box on run support. We've seen overloaded blitzes used against our OL all year and there is no reason we can't do the same...but with some of the best talent in the league to do so. We essentially, played straight up which is scary when you consider our OLB's had 25 sacks combined and were very high in total tackles and Brooks lead the team in TFL. Once you start moving these guys around more and creating confusion and rushing them from stand up positions, moving them back and forth behind the LOS, switching sides, rushing them from the line, off the line, from inside MLB positions, etc. the sky is the limit. Then, if you add Bowman/Willis to this pass rushing group, take them out of coverage, and play them downhill, its not even fair!

First things first - need to resign Brooks yesterday!
Donte Witner has made me feel better,,,, I CAN'T WAIT!!
Sure the defense can get better. Forget the stats. KW fumbles on the 30 yard line in OT and this D gets slammed back to the ten yard line by runs. RUNS!! Think about that. Where was the vaunted run defense we have been hearing about all year? What happened? They were tired? It was win or go home time and they (the defensive players) were in slow motion. Do I blame the D for the loss? No way. I am just agreeing with Donte, that's all. By the way, I place most of the blame on the crappy play calling. WTF was that Roman/Harbaugh?
Pretty soon fox better hire Jim Ross to do Niners games. "Good god almighty, Whitner just broke him in half"
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
Sure the defense can get better. Forget the stats. KW fumbles on the 30 yard line in OT and this D gets slammed back to the ten yard line by runs. RUNS!! Think about that. Where was the vaunted run defense we have been hearing about all year? What happened? They were tired? It was win or go home time and they (the defensive players) were in slow motion. Do I blame the D for the loss? No way. I am just agreeing with Donte, that's all. By the way, I place most of the blame on the crappy play calling. WTF was that Roman/Harbaugh?
In that situation atackledoesnt matter you are trying to strip the ball.
I really don't see how the defense can get alot better, mybe a little better, but not much. the defense this year was seriously OUTSTANDING!!!! It was kick a$$. hopefully the offense get better which will make a our defense better, let that pass rush pin their ears back and really get after the QB.
Well I sure as hell hope he thinks the defense can get better. I mean, what do we expect him to say? "Yeah, in all honesty, I think the defense peaked this year and can only go downhill in 2012 and beyond."
We tend to forget Fangio was around Dom Capers; and spent time in Baltimore, as linebackers coach (there's also been chatter about him spending time with the linebackers on the 49ers - even though that title has been bestowed upon Leavitt).
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Is there a weak link in this line up? Tarrell Brown? Ahmad Brooks?
I just don't see it
Originally posted by Brew:
I just don't see it

Haralson.

But he shouldn't be starting next year, anyway.
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Brew:
I just don't see it

Haralson.

But he shouldn't be starting next year, anyway.

Dress Aldon as a safety and throw him in coverage too.