There are 210 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Defense Thread

So glad Buffalo gave up on Donte!
Originally posted by fister30:
Donte got some high %$s standards. I would like to see the defense get better. I guess the pass defense has room to improve. Hard to improve on how they played the run this year and how little they let teams score for most of the season. This team was lights out in the red zone.

One way to improve the defensive numbers is a better offense. I would like to see the 49ers play with a 14 point lead at halftime next season. I want to see Ray Mac, Brooks and the Smiths running at opposing QB's.

Yup. The Chicago Bulls had the same issue in their Conference Championship: Too heavy dependance on defense. They added Richard Hamilton to improve the offense knowing that it would hurt their defense.
  • Kolohe
  • #TeamLevi
  • Posts: 33,860
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
He also said the 49ers defense could be far better next year. "There was a lot of things we left out of our playbook because it was just too complicated to have in," Whitner said. "(Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio) has more for us if we can get those OTA's and those minicamps and get together in training camp, to get almost a full playbook installed. … I think we'll do that. … That's scary knowing that we can get a lot better on defense." The 49ers finished sixth in defending the rush and 13th in overall defense.









BOING!!!!

Wait whut!!!

I thought we finished 1st defending the run and 4th overall in total defense??
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wait whut!!!

I thought we finished 1st defending the run and 4th overall in total defense??

You are correct.

And the run D was in another universe. The 2nd place team (Baltimore) was a full 15 yards per game rushing behind the Niners.

Edit: The author mistakenly took our 2010 ranking, where we finished 13th in overall defense. This year it was 4th with 308 yards per game, which is approximately 20 yards less than last year.
[ Edited by okdkid on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wait whut!!!

I thought we finished 1st defending the run and 4th overall in total defense??

You are correct.

And the run D was in another universe. The 2nd place team (Baltimore) was a full 15 yards per game rushing behind the Niners.

Edit: The author mistakenly took our 2010 ranking, where we finished 13th in overall defense. This year it was 4th with 308 yards per game, which is approximately 20 yards less than last year.


We were FIRST in points scored PER ATTEMPT. If the opponent has more attempts, that should be a consideration for the rankings. We were definitely the NFL's top defense.
Defense getting better is not really our problem. I'd be fine with it being the same. Our offense needs to get better. And our return men need to catch punts. Then we will go to the Super Bowl.
The best defense is a good offense.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The best defense is a good offense.

yeah ask the packers and saints and lions how that worked out for them
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The best defense is a good offense.

yeah ask the packers and saints and lions how that worked out for them

Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
How come no one mentioned the SI cover jinx? Or did I miss that?

Because we shared the cover with the Giants
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
He also said the 49ers defense could be far better next year. "There was a lot of things we left out of our playbook because it was just too complicated to have in," Whitner said. "(Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio) has more for us if we can get those OTA's and those minicamps and get together in training camp, to get almost a full playbook installed. … I think we'll do that. … That's scary knowing that we can get a lot better on defense." The 49ers finished sixth in defending the rush and 13th in overall defense.









BOING!!!!
That's good coaching. One of the big knocks on Rob Ryan and his defense in Dallas is that it was overly complicated and the players were just lost and out of position.
Run D is stellar and needs no work. Pass D got a decent amount of turnovers which is good. What they did bad was getting burned at key points, you could say our pass D was not Clutch.
It makes sense...especially for the secondary. Whitner & Rogers were the newbies, yet jelled pretty darn well. Goldson and Brown are the team vets and both stepped up, big-time. Aldon Smith made his mark...and will give Fangio reason to question Haralson's value. Justin Smith is finally getting the acclaim he's deserved for years. Ray Mac justified his starting berth. Sopoaga was a stud at NT. Willis and Bowman are the best ILB tandem in the league. We need Brooks back...Ahmad has developed into a fine OLB. Definitely re-sign Grant...he acquitted himself very well in Patrick's absence. Re-sign Goldson, Rogers. Fangio's the man...it's pretty easy for all Niner fans to see why Harbaugh brought him over from Stanford. I'd say they could add some more depth at all positions, but Whitner's right, they should be even better next year. Can't wait!
we NEED to bring everybody back, sign another Junkyard dog to the D-Line to add more push to our front line ...add another skilled CB so we can SMOTHER some WR's next year , while our front 7 straight up kills people
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Defense getting better is not really our problem. I'd be fine with it being the same. Our offense needs to get better. And our return men need to catch punts. Then we will go to the Super Bowl.

I anticipate it getting better. If I was asked how the offense would perform then, I would have said, "Alex's TD-Int ratio would be a lot closer, than it was this past season." The fact he was coached to not give the ball away; and he took that lesson to heart (maybe too much). Imagine what Alex MAY do with a full off-season program under Harbaugh's guidance.