There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Defense Thread

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The defense in the second half was absolutely spectacular, I don't know that I've seen a better display of a defense imposing its will on a game. They dominated the entire second half and the 49ers were in absolute position to win until the offense and special teams both f**ked up.

I second this completely. Helluva game defense. We salute you. Bring it again in 2012-13! Red'n'gold forever!!!
I really feel for these guys any other QB would have won that game tonight however he won that NO game for us so the confusion will continue for another 7......
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/01/24/donte-whitner-believes-the-defense-will-get-better/

I just saw this, now (for whatever reason). The fact they didn't fully install the defense says something about this year, and the year to come.
The league should be worried, very worried.

This year we knocked out 7 RBs, next year we go for 10+.
Not fully implementing the defense and any additions in free agency and the draft
I love when Cardinals and Seahawks fans say that their defense got a lot better. Then you look at their roster and stats and you're like "yeah, i guess".

Then you look at our roster and stats and you're like
Donte got some high %$s standards. I would like to see the defense get better. I guess the pass defense has room to improve. Hard to improve on how they played the run this year and how little they let teams score for most of the season. This team was lights out in the red zone.

One way to improve the defensive numbers is a better offense. I would like to see the 49ers play with a 14 point lead at halftime next season. I want to see Ray Mac, Brooks and the Smiths running at opposing QB's.
He also said the 49ers defense could be far better next year. "There was a lot of things we left out of our playbook because it was just too complicated to have in," Whitner said. "(Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio) has more for us if we can get those OTA's and those minicamps and get together in training camp, to get almost a full playbook installed. … I think we'll do that. … That's scary knowing that we can get a lot better on defense." The 49ers finished sixth in defending the rush and 13th in overall defense.

BOING!!!!
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM ]
Great read about our defense!

Originally posted by kidash98:
Great read about our defense!

Nice read! So sad it had to end
It's good to hear from Whitner......but think about it, the offense and defensive playbook is not fully installed. Or it maybe be installed, but this is their first year with it. That's why it's so amazing what we did this year.

This team will get better.....give them another draft and offseason FA with the core group that we have and GAME ON. Also everyone in the league knows we are for real so we can attract a lot more players than we could last year.

God I wish it was next year already. It went too fast.

WE SHOULD BE IN THE SUPERBOWL!!!! DAMMIT! But I'm so proud of this team!
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
He also said the 49ers defense could be far better next year. "There was a lot of things we left out of our playbook because it was just too complicated to have in," Whitner said. "(Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio) has more for us if we can get those OTA's and those minicamps and get together in training camp, to get almost a full playbook installed. … I think we'll do that. … That's scary knowing that we can get a lot better on defense." The 49ers finished sixth in defending the rush and 13th in overall defense.

BOING!!!!

That's not right. Niners were #1 in rushing defense and 4th overall in 2011.
How come no one mentioned the SI cover jinx? Or did I miss that?
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:

People did make a thread on it, but I think it was in the process of being debunked, and all that.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:

ah f**k i forgot about that

....called it btw