There are 288 users in the forums

The Return of Super Bowl or Bust: I think we need to improve WR corps

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm disappointed.

We were a game away from the Super Bowl, and a few plays here and there would've put us in. We had the talent to compete with the elite teams like the Saints and Giants, and gave them everything they could handle. We went back and forth with the Giants in a high-level playoff atmosphere, and just came up short.

With that said, I'll say this: the bar has been raised. At the beginning of the season, we all predicted, at best, that we would win 9 games. I don't think anyone in their right mind would've said we would've gone 13-3 and gone very deep into the playoffs. Rightfully so, we ARE one of the league's elite teams.

From this point onward, given our team's history and tradition for winning, I want to say that "Super Bowl or Bust" has returned. Our Cinderella season has ended. Sure, it's a nice story that Jim Harbaugh took a 6-10 team and turned it into an Alex Smith-led 14-4 juggernaut. But we're a franchise that boasts 5 Super Bowl trophies and has fielded legends like Joe Montana and Ronnie Lott. Our team and fans will want more.

When I look at our roster, we have the potential to be a very good team for the next few years. We have a relatively young QB in Alex Smith who will benefit from a full offseason with a good offensive coaching staff. He'll continue to grow. We have an offensive line loaded with talent. We have an elite tight end in Vernon Davis, while Frank Gore still has a few more years of productivity. On defense, we are loaded. We have a high-level defense who is in the prime of their careers. This team will be around for awhile. Andy Lee, David Akers, and our special teams are probably the best in the league.

We have a huge weakness in our team though, and it's in our receiving corps. Sure, we have Vernon Davis, but he's not a pass-catching machine that can catch the ball 10+ times a game. He's not the most sure-handed receiver and is more of a big-play threat at tight end. We need more than that. We need a consistent pass-catcher.We all saw the statistic against the Giants. At one point in the game, their receivers had 16 catches while we only had 1 from our receivers. The only major receiving yards were those two big catches from Vernon Davis and a few dump-offs to Gore. It's a testament to the play design and Alex Smith that we're even able to have some sort of semblance of a passing game.

It's clear that we can win with Alex Smith. But the question is... can Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan (hopefully), and Kyle Williams get the job done next season? Crabtree looks like an elite pass-catcher sometimes, and then other times, he looks like he'd be a decent #3 on other teams. He completely disappeared in our two playoff games. Morgan was our best receiver this season before he went down. Kyle Williams is a dynamic player, and discounting his special teams fumbles in the game, makes for a good slot receiver.I

t's just frustrating. So many games it looks like our receivers are so well-covered. Sure, Alex Smith doesn't make the throw sometimes and misses downfield, but the problem isn't big plays. We got big downfield plays from Vernon Davis against the Giants. Kendall Hunter and Frank Gore will get some big catch and runs every now and then. We just don't have guys on the outside who we can get the ball to and that's our biggest weakness.I hope we get aggressive this offseason in finding another wide receiver. I liked that we went for Braylon Edwards earlier this year. The man has talent, was a big receiver, was considered a threat to opponents.. he just didn't pan out with all of his injuries. I hope we get a free agent because I don't know of a wide receiver that we could pick up in the draft that would produce immediate results.

It's Super Bowl or Bust now. Let's bring in those missing pieces and get our sixth next year! We've got a great base to work off of now.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Jan 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM ]
Boggles the mind as WHY WE RELEASED BRAYLON

screw this....I'm gonna sleep on it. I 'm sick of it.
Paragraphs please.
double, sorry
[ Edited by ElDannMann on Jan 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM ]
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Paragraphs please.

Yeah, sorry, I fixed it. Made it in a Word document and forgot to edit it after pasting.
We will be back. Book it.
ya think?
Can't afford 15 All-Pro's on the team. So which defender gets the axe to bring in the WR superstars?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Can't afford 15 All-Pro's on the team. So which defender gets the axe to bring in the WR superstars?

Probably that Justin Smith guy.
we dont need an all pro guy

we just need a decent starter at WR

crabtree at #2 and with morgan back

thats a solid WR core

Goldson, for ruining 2 interceptions and injuring Brown.
We will draft a wideout. We just need someone to take the pressure off of Crabtree. Morgan will be healthy and cheap. We need to get a kid that can play in the draft. FA money is all going to Alex and to Rogers.
Oh, by the way, I'm not saying we should go out and break the bank for a high-profile WR. But if there's a chance to bring in such a player via the draft/free agency, I think now is the time to strike. We're not in a slow-and-steady rebuild through the draft effort anymore. We're at a stage where we can win NOW and only need a piece or two. And in our case... it's a #1 wide receiver who Alex can trust to throw the ball to when we need to move the chains.

Goldson and Brooks. I'm fine if both those guys walk. Goldson has been boom or bust and I think the 49ers could find a good safety in the 1st round. Brooks has been solid but nothing special, he also cost the team on several encroachment penalties throughout the year. He can be replaced as well. I'd much rather see the 49ers take the Goldson+Brooks money and give it to Colston to bring in a top tier wide receiver.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Goldson and Brooks. I'm fine if both those guys walk. Goldson has been boom or bust and I think the 49ers could find a good safety in the 1st round. Brooks has been solid but nothing special, he also cost the team on several encroachment penalties throughout the year. He can be replaced as well. I'd much rather see the 49ers take the Goldson+Brooks money and give it to Colston to bring in a top tier wide receiver.

Goldson had a very good season and will probably demand huge money. I want him to come back, but he has earned the right to a big pay-day. I don't know if we'll be able to re-sign him.

Brooks will come back if the coaching staff wants him back. He's not going to command huge attention on the free agent market. We can get him back. Gotta remember that those two, as well as Alex Smith, and some other guys are free agents.
Share 49ersWebzone