LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Question about the Niners in the rain

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Has it started raining yet?
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't think it matters. We both play on the same field. But freak things can happen in the mud and rain. I would rather it be warm and sunny personally. Those sloppy weather games can go for you or cut against you too. I just don't like it being decided like that.

That's my thing. This rain makes me nervous.

The quick receivers are a concern, especially with our aggressive safeties. But ball control will be the name of the game, Gore & Hunter could have huge days. Hunter could break this game wide open. His low center of gravity and short steps will give him an edge with traction in a slop-fest.
If the field gets sloppy, it neutralized some of the speed on defense and the size advantage may go to the Giants. That is my only concern in the rain.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM ]
Originally posted by RayWersching:
Has it started raining yet?

Nothing yet...starts this afternoon/evening
I'm still worried about us playing in wet conditions. We haven't all year. It would be different if our last 3 games were rainy but who knows how players like Hunter or Williams react to that in terms of kick and punt return...or how Aldon Smith is affected by a slippery field. Did you see how sharp and quick he cuts toward the QB on stunts?
Originally posted by 5280High:
The quick receivers are a concern, especially with our aggressive safeties. But ball control will be the name of the game, Gore & Hunter could have huge days. Hunter could break this game wide open. His low center of gravity and short steps will give him an edge with traction in a slop-fest.

Gore & Hunter both have had problems keeping their footing when making cuts on dry ground all year. Makes you wonder how it'll be on a wet field.
they eat the slop
about 20 mins south from SF.. starting to sprinkle
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Field in below sea level - always soft, slow, and slippery, esp for evening or night games (3:30 start for this one)..
Rain forecast to start in SF on Thursday, and be essentially continuous into next week, and it will be a COLD rain..
Field will likely be a mess within first 10 minutes of clock time.
Tailgating will be significantly reduced due to weaather - outer lots likely to be flooded.
Unfortunately, there will thus likely be empty seats, or at least a visible Giants fan presence in the stands, due to Niner fans selling tix.
Randy Cross once referred to Niner fans as soft "white wine sippers". Certainly, not true of all, but many corporate-type ticket-holders ARE soft.
Unfortunately, the 12th man will thus probably not be as big a factor as vs NO in spectacular weather..
This team has little muddy field experience. Maybe some players are slop-experienced from prior years and/or prior teams elsewhere.
Ball security will be the name of the game.
Straight ahead big backs should be a prominent factor (Gore, Dixon, Jacobs).
Quick slants will likely be the most effective pass pattern for both teams in these weather conditions.
Expect that the Niners equipment guy will install their longest spikes. Might be a 1st half advantage for Niners. Traction, not speed, is prime.
Niners biggest advantage in these conditions could well be special teams, esp Lee and Akers.. They know the prevailing in-stadium winds..
Anticipate a very low-scoring game, hinged on slippery ball turnovers.. Enjoy the mud-caked close-ups on your hi def flat screen.

Dixon sucks, IMO. I'd rather see Hunter trying to make people slip. Hope Frank is a mudder, though he often slips on sharp cuts at the Stick. Concerned about Jacobs. At 265 lbs. he's got our backers by about 25 lbs. Thank God the strength of our team is run defense.

OTB- how about that.

The lord works in mysterious ways!
[ Edited by SealTeam6 on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM ]
Here comes the rain again...

Are you allowed to bring umbrellas to the Stick?
Originally posted by lamontb:
gotta watch the game and see. The sloppy field more than likely will give the advantage to the offenses b/c they know where they are going. Might hamper the pass rush from both teams if d lineman can't get the proper footing.

Listening to Sapp talk about the pass rush in the rain it helps the guy going forward which is the D-Line.
In Sacramento it's cloudy, but I see no rain here. Can anyone tell me if it's raining in the City by the Bay?

I don't think the rain is going to be that much of a factor unless it's just dumping on Sunday. We haven't had enough rain to turn the Candlestick turf into a mosh pit yet. It might be wet, but the field will be serviceable.
[ Edited by IWasWrongRubber on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM ]
Its raining and freezing
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Its raining and freezing

I take it that you're in San Francisco?
Share 49ersWebzone