LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Question about the Niners in the rain

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"Yeah, it's worth following and looking at," Harbaugh said Wednesday of the forecast. "There's a possibility of rain tomorrow (Thursday), Friday and Saturday and Sunday. (I) wouldn't mind getting some work in those kinds of conditions if it does play out that way."Read more: Harbaugh, 49ers keep eye on weather report Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Might effect the Giants more because they are used to playing on that fake grass.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Akers struggled in that rain. Think he missed two or three (one blocked).

I think 2 might have been blocked but he did have some troubles in that game.

Huh, I hadn't even considered that. Well that actually makes me a little nervous.
I don't think it matters. We both play on the same field. But freak things can happen in the mud and rain. I would rather it be warm and sunny personally. Those sloppy weather games can go for you or cut against you too. I just don't like it being decided like that.
It shouldn't affect the fans. We have crazy people in the bay area who takes their shirts off goes wild for thier team in the rain, especially in a NFC Championship game. These slant routes should help using the stomach to secure the ball while being caught. I expect the 49ers' D to stay physical while the Giants' offense is trying to run their routes in a wet formation. Giants play on fake grass, but playing on real slippery grass, may just be a huge factor.

Honey Badgers don't care about no rain!!
[ Edited by Red_Gold18 on Jan 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM ]
jeez, hasn't rained in 2 mos here in our vineyard or in SF, and now a weather forecast like this. Sad thing is it would be really a sight to see these two teams line up against one another under ideal conditions. If field is as predicted, it will be a crap shoot and any team can win. Maybe, like almost always, the forecasters are wrong. I sure hope so.
I'm getting anxiety attacks thinking about all this
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
after some thought, this is a big advantage for the Giants WR. our DB's are gonna have to be on their A game.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
after some thought, this is a big advantage for the Giants WR. our DB's are gonna have to be on their A game.

why? bcz when they get hit they'll have softer grass to get slammed on?
Frank Gore is a Mudder.

FACT.

Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

why? bcz when they get hit they'll have softer grass to get slammed on?

WR's know their routes...DB's have to guess

but its the same for both teams
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
I WILL BE LOUD and if the rest of our fans are not loud then they should go home or sell to 49ers fans that really want to be there and cheer their team and witness history. Was there when it rained like hell against Oakland last year. Didnt stop me from doing anything different. I will be louder than I was sat and will still cheer and scream all game long.
Hey guys this will be my first game in the rain....Do I need to bring a poncho? do they sell them at the stadium?? Thanks
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Field in below sea level - always soft, slow, and slippery, esp for evening or night games (3:30 start for this one)..
Rain forecast to start in SF on Thursday, and be essentially continuous into next week, and it will be a COLD rain..
Field will likely be a mess within first 10 minutes of clock time.
Tailgating will be significantly reduced due to weaather - outer lots likely to be flooded.
Unfortunately, there will thus likely be empty seats, or at least a visible Giants fan presence in the stands, due to Niner fans selling tix.
Randy Cross once referred to Niner fans as soft "white wine sippers". Certainly, not true of all, but many corporate-type ticket-holders ARE soft.
Unfortunately, the 12th man will thus probably not be as big a factor as vs NO in spectacular weather..
This team has little muddy field experience. Maybe some players are slop-experienced from prior years and/or prior teams elsewhere.
Ball security will be the name of the game.
Straight ahead big backs should be a prominent factor (Gore, Dixon, Jacobs).
Quick slants will likely be the most effective pass pattern for both teams in these weather conditions.
Expect that the Niners equipment guy will install their longest spikes. Might be a 1st half advantage for Niners. Traction, not speed, is prime.
Niners biggest advantage in these conditions could well be special teams, esp Lee and Akers.. They know the prevailing in-stadium winds..
Anticipate a very low-scoring game, hinged on slippery ball turnovers.. Enjoy the mud-caked close-ups on your hi def flat screen.

Nice read. Thanks.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't think it matters. We both play on the same field. But freak things can happen in the mud and rain. I would rather it be warm and sunny personally. Those sloppy weather games can go for you or cut against you too. I just don't like it being decided like that.

That's my thing. This rain makes me nervous.
Share 49ersWebzone