LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Question about the Niners in the rain

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I haven't been able to watch many 49er games this year, I live in Kansas & they don't show the team here. I have 2 questions for those of you who may know:

1. Does this team play well in the rain? I don't remember any rain games this year, and of course, it's forecasted for Sunday.

2. How well does the Candlestick crowd handle the rain (will the fans still be as loud if it's raining)?

Thanks for the input!
I'll be just as loud - made sure to buy my tickets under the overhang!!
gotta watch the game and see. The sloppy field more than likely will give the advantage to the offenses b/c they know where they are going. Might hamper the pass rush from both teams if d lineman can't get the proper footing.
Week 11 against the Cards at the Stick it was light rain. We won. I think we are expecting a bit more in the up coming game?
Didn't rain hard at all throughout any games this year. The forcast predicts steady rain for many days prior to the game. This will be a new experience for the '11 Niners.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Week 11 against the Cards at the Stick it was light rain. We won. I think we are expecting a bit more in the up coming game?

It was pouring before the game !
Field in below sea level - always soft, slow, and slippery, esp for evening or night games (3:30 start for this one)..
Rain forecast to start in SF on Thursday, and be essentially continuous into next week, and it will be a COLD rain..
Field will likely be a mess within first 10 minutes of clock time.
Tailgating will be significantly reduced due to weaather - outer lots likely to be flooded.
Unfortunately, there will thus likely be empty seats, or at least a visible Giants fan presence in the stands, due to Niner fans selling tix.
Randy Cross once referred to Niner fans as soft "white wine sippers". Certainly, not true of all, but many corporate-type ticket-holders ARE soft.
Unfortunately, the 12th man will thus probably not be as big a factor as vs NO in spectacular weather..
This team has little muddy field experience. Maybe some players are slop-experienced from prior years and/or prior teams elsewhere.
Ball security will be the name of the game.
Straight ahead big backs should be a prominent factor (Gore, Dixon, Jacobs).
Quick slants will likely be the most effective pass pattern for both teams in these weather conditions.
Expect that the Niners equipment guy will install their longest spikes. Might be a 1st half advantage for Niners. Traction, not speed, is prime.
Niners biggest advantage in these conditions could well be special teams, esp Lee and Akers.. They know the prevailing in-stadium winds..
Anticipate a very low-scoring game, hinged on slippery ball turnovers.. Enjoy the mud-caked close-ups on your hi def flat screen.
Akers struggled in that rain. Think he missed two or three (one blocked).
I'll take the #1 rush defense in this one...GO NINERS!
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Akers struggled in that rain. Think he missed two or three (one blocked).

I think 2 might have been blocked but he did have some troubles in that game.

My experience of attending games at the Stick for 30 years says it will be a little less loud due to the gloves, extra clothing kind of muting things a bit. I'm sure people are going to bring the emotion, though. I think the fans will find a way to get that place rockin.
This is just how NFC Championship games are supposed to look in San Francisco
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Field in below sea level - always soft, slow, and slippery, esp for evening or night games (3:30 start for this one)..
Rain forecast to start in SF on Thursday, and be essentially continuous into next week, and it will be a COLD rain..
Field will likely be a mess within first 10 minutes of clock time.
Tailgating will be significantly reduced due to weaather - outer lots likely to be flooded.
Unfortunately, there will thus likely be empty seats, or at least a visible Giants fan presence in the stands, due to Niner fans selling tix.
Randy Cross once referred to Niner fans as soft "white wine sippers". Certainly, not true of all, but many corporate-type ticket-holders ARE soft.
Unfortunately, the 12th man will thus probably not be as big a factor as vs NO in spectacular weather..
This team has little muddy field experience. Maybe some players are slop-experienced from prior years and/or prior teams elsewhere.
Ball security will be the name of the game.
Straight ahead big backs should be a prominent factor (Gore, Dixon, Jacobs).
Quick slants will likely be the most effective pass pattern for both teams in these weather conditions.
Expect that the Niners equipment guy will install their longest spikes. Might be a 1st half advantage for Niners. Traction, not speed, is prime.
Niners biggest advantage in these conditions could well be special teams, esp Lee and Akers.. They know the prevailing in-stadium winds..
Anticipate a very low-scoring game, hinged on slippery ball turnovers.. Enjoy the mud-caked close-ups on your hi def flat screen.

Dixon sucks, IMO. I'd rather see Hunter trying to make people slip. Hope Frank is a mudder, though he often slips on sharp cuts at the Stick. Concerned about Jacobs. At 265 lbs. he's got our backers by about 25 lbs. Thank God the strength of our team is run defense.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
fumbleruski
Originally posted by bigmur49:
This is just how NFC Championship games are supposed to look in San Francisco

True. Lambeau gets all the pub as the frozen tundra, but playing a game at a water logged Candlestick can totally change the way a game is played. Hope they hold a couple of outdoor practices Thurs and Friday to acclimate.
Share 49ersWebzone