There are 381 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Justin Smith surpasses...

Since he was drafted, Patrick Willis has been our best player on defense. But, this year another guy might've surpassed him as the Niners' best defensive player.
Is Justin Smith, now, our best player on the defensive side of the ball? I'd say he's definitely more clutch than P. Willy
At this point, I'd say there is a Mt. Rushmore of Niner defensive players consisting of Lott, B.Y., Willis, and J. Smith. Yes I know we've had many many more outstanding defensive players, but I think those 4 are a significant notch above all the others.

I don't know if we've ever had another defensive player that you could say at a point may have been the best defensive player in the league (or even close). Maybe '94 but Deion was only here for that one year...
[ Edited by andes14 on Jan 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Since he was drafted, Patrick Willis has been our best player on defense. But, this year another guy might've surpassed him as the Niners' best defensive player.
Is Justin Smith, now, our best player on the defensive side of the ball? I'd say he's definitely more clutch than P. Willy

justin smith is my favorite player, we look alike lol. but to be fair, i would say they are equal
Justin Smith has become my new favorite 49er.
Willis is still my favorite niner, but yea i gotta agree. This year J. Smith is playing on a whole different level.
You guys have so many smiths you may as well be called the San Fransisco Smithsonian lol
I wouldn't place anybody over Willis. They are on the same level though
Justin is more of a force than Willis is, but thats not a slap in the face at Willis, he is still a force, and I believe we have the best ILB duo, the best front 7 in NFL.

I think we will mix things up on defense. Send 3 or 4 at times, and you know what we dont need much else. Justin, Aldon, Brooks and Mcdonald are powerful enough and enough for us to be successful.

I am cautious though, Eli is no Brees, but he has improved, and Manningham, Nicks and Cruz will get looks, I think we are good enough to stop them. I mean we stopped New Orleans, with Colston, Meachem, Graham, sproles which IMO is a better offense than NYG have. I'm not afraid of Jake Ballard as I was of Graham.

On defense with them, there rush isnt GREAT, its good, but non-existent at times. Secondary is awful at times.
Originally posted by Jetfan:
You guys have so many smiths you may as well be called the San Fransisco Smithsonian lol

im not being rude i swear

but what is a jet fan doing here?
http://twitpic.com/87pvt7
Justin Smith is our best defensive player right now. The MVP of our team. Without him this year, I don't even know how we would've done. Obviously Willis is an incredible player - IMO he is a Hall of Fame lock - but Justin Smith is literally unstoppable and unblockable.

Watching him destroy a ProBowl left tackle AND left guard double-teaming him.. wow.

He's was voted an All-Pro at DE *and* DT for God's sake!
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Justin is more of a force than Willis is, but thats not a slap in the face at Willis, he is still a force, and I believe we have the best ILB duo, the best front 7 in NFL.

I think we will mix things up on defense. Send 3 or 4 at times, and you know what we dont need much else. Justin, Aldon, Brooks and Mcdonald are powerful enough and enough for us to be successful.

I am cautious though, Eli is no Brees, but he has improved, and Manningham, Nicks and Cruz will get looks, I think we are good enough to stop them. I mean we stopped New Orleans, with Colston, Meachem, Graham, sproles which IMO is a better offense than NYG have. I'm not afraid of Jake Ballard as I was of Graham.

On defense with them, there rush isnt GREAT, its good, but non-existent at times. Secondary is awful at times.


Ballard runs something like a 5.0 - 40. but the dude is very opportunistic and knows how to find the holes in coverage.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
im not being rude i swear

but what is a jet fan doing here?

Short story.
I loved watching the 09 jets. Minus the turnovers your team is what I'm watching and I can't help but enjoy it. And my dad is a niners fan so I thought I'd chill here for a while and support this team on their run
Originally posted by Jetfan:
You guys have so many smiths you may as well be called the San Fransisco Smithsonian lol

Lol...if you wanna talk craziness with names, the New Jersey Nets have a THIRD of their active roster composed of Williams'. Also, we've had a pretty crazy run lately with coaches named Mike or Jim. Our last 4 head coaches (Nolan, Singletary, Tomsula, Harbaugh). We've had 5 OC's named Mike or Jim since '05 (McCarthy, Hostler, Martz, Raye, Johnson). Several position coaches (previously mentioned Johnson, Singletary, and Tomsula, as well as Leavitt, Solari, maybe some others). And just for s**ts and giggles, 2 of 3 Singletary 1st round picks were Mikes - Crabtree (and if he were gone, we would have taken Oher) and Iupati.
  • BMHo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 31
I don't know if he's surpassed Willis, but D. Goldson, J. Smith, Aldon Smith, N. Bowman, and C. Rogers are definitely other players that deserve some recognition this year.