There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is this the best Defense and Special Teams combo....EVER?

I seriously think we are witnessing the best Defense, Special Teams combo to ever play modern era football

I think the Defense alone is not quite 85' Bears 00' Ravens status, but close. But I think the combination of the two makes the 11' 49ers historically relevant.
I wouldn't say its close to either of those defenses. This is a great 49ers defense, but not one of the best in NFL history. Your topic deserves some discussion. I've never seen a defense this good paired with a bad ass punter and ST coverage unit. A lethal combination for any offense to deal with, including the most prolific offense (in terms of yards) in NFL history.
niners D has knocked 6 RB's out of games this season.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
niners D has knocked 6 RB's out of games this season.

also broke Tony Romos ribs
I think Combo wise, yes it is
I think so. Our d is awesome, but I cant remember a team with as good a special teams as this Niners team. Kick off, return, punting, field goals; we seem to be head and shoulders above everyone else. Hope it continues to to add up to wins. Two more=#6. Forza Niners!
[ Edited by Husker49er on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM ]
Yea this defense isn't on par with the 85 bears nor the 00 Ravens. And unless you are a diehard fan of each team you probably have no clue how good their special teams units were. I mean who can seriously go back and break down the 85 bears, 00 ravens or even the 02 Buccaneers special teams play. Andy Lee and Ackers have been special this year. The whole coverage unit has been elite as well. I like seeing them do their group dance before Ackers kicks the ball
I think a lot of people don't realize all the rule changes to benefit the offensive side of the ball. I don't think the 85 Bears would do as well in today's game.
Yes, these dudes are bad men.
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes, these dudes are mighty men.

Fixed.
we've seen glimpses of how good they can be. ST has been absolutely incredible. Those historical defenses absolutely shutdown the opposing teams, but it was a different game(even in 2000) so its hard to really compare. The defense has had some lapses, but there arent any major holes in personnel. they can clean up a few things and continue to dominate.
its the best special teams unit of all time, and one of the great defenses. So, yes.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think the only thing we are missing is a Devan Hester type return man, but Ted Ginn is more than adequate.
Originally posted by BobS:
I think the only thing we are missing is a Devan Hester type return man, but Ted Ginn is more than adequate.

Hester is such a rare player that its almost greedy asking for a player like him--but I want one.