LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 385 users in the forums

Harbaugh and fangio must learn from packers mistakes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think most of the blame for the packers loss lies on the shoulders of the GB coaches. The 1st onside kick was a bonehead move. Also, when the game was still close, the packers went for it on 4th down instead of punting (and it was at mid field)...and the constant 3-man rush on Eli was also a lame decision. I hope harbaugh and Co. learn from this game and make better coaching decisions
Onside kick and going for it on 4th and 3 are a none-issue for the 49ers...obviously

The three-man rush is fine. Brees saw 3 to 4 guys on each play and we did a good job. We need to worry about stopping Jacobs/Bradshaw...Im not worried about Eli
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
I think most of the blame for the packers loss lies on the shoulders of the GB coaches. The 1st onside kick was a bonehead move. Also, when the game was still close, the packers went for it on 4th down instead of punting (and it was at mid field)...and the constant 3-man rush on Eli was also a lame decision. I hope harbaugh and Co. learn from this game and make better coaching decisions
Harbaugh and Co aren't bunch of idiots to make the same mistake the packers coaches made, Harbaugh emphasizes mistake free football, GB special teams coach made a bad call on that one and from what i remember they took that play off the niners playbook in which the niners saw something on the coverage that assured them that the play will work unlike GB thinking they had it but failed. Bottom line is 49ers coaches are smart enough to make decisions that wont hurt the team most of the time.
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Onside kick and going for it on 4th and 3 are a none-issue for the 49ers...obviously

The three-man rush is fine. Brees saw 3 to 4 guys on each play and we did a good job. We need to worry about stopping Jacobs/Bradshaw...Im not worried about Eli

Eli put up big numbers last match up. You should worry about him more than the running game.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Eli put up big numbers last match up. You should worry about him more than the running game.

Agreed. If Giants beat us, it will be because of Eli. We didn't get enough pressure on him at the last game. I can't remember, did Ray Mac play in that game?
One thing this coaching staff has shown all year, is that they are always ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Candlestick wind and rain do your magic.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
The Packers' shortcomings were not so much strategic or tactical; they were failures of execution. They looked rusty and sluggish and missed a lot of plays they normally make. If you want to blame the coaches, you could argue that they failed to get their team up for the game. But at the end of the day, players have to make plays. Aaron Rodgers looked pretty ordinary in this game.

In fact, if you want to point to a strategic error by the Packers coaches, it was this: Resting Aaron Rodgers for the final game of the season. Rodgers IS that offense, and he did not look like an MVP in this game. The lesson for the 49ers? Never lose your edge. Keep the team focused but loose.
[ Edited by Lifer on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:26 AM ]
Hail Mary right before the half for TD. And the bone head on side kick where you can see the Giants defender aren't moving until the ball is kick. Giving no indication that they assumed the kick would be a normal kickoff.

The Packers just look like the team that couldn't get their way on offense like they been getting, methodical passing down the field, all through the season. So they folded their tent and went home. Absolutely no fight. Fredie P. Soft went in for a visit in their locker room during the 2 weeks off. That's what it looks like to me in yesterday's game.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Hail Mary right before the half for TD. And the bone head on side kick where you can see the Giants defender aren't moving until the ball is kick. Giving no indication that they assumed the kick would be a normal kickoff.

The Packers just look like the team that couldn't get their way on offense like they been getting, methodical passing down the field, all through the season. So they folded their tent and went home. Absolutely no fight. Fredie P. Soft went in for a visit in their locker room during the 2 weeks off. That's what it looks like to me in yesterday's game.

Maybe the lesson Harbaugh should bring to his team is not to be over confident or complacent. Even the best can succumb.

VD in the locker room made sure that the team was focused on the task at hand, telling the team they needed to go back to practise and bust their asses, the team as a whole refocused on what was still ahead. Pride on the 3 . . . . .
Originally posted by ace49ers:
VD in the locker room made sure that the team was focused on the task at hand, telling the team they needed to go back to practise and bust their asses, the team as a whole refocused on what was still ahead. Pride on the 3 . . . . .

Honestly, the Packers HAVE to be blaming themselves and not the coaches. 8 dropped passes and 3 fumbles?! That's not on the coaches....
its easy, just dont turn the ball over, something we DONT do.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I think you're both right.

There's no denying that Manning is incandescent at the moment and as dangerous a QB as we're likely to see this season. However, it's my opinion that the Giants lost the regular season game as much as the Niners won it. Recall that the Giants were running the ball on us with ease throughout the first part of the game then *poof!* for whatever boneheaded reason, they abandoned the run and went pass happy against us. If I was a Giants fan I would have been furious! Worse, as demonstrated in Seattle, we can be gouged by a big, physical back. Bradshaw will be healthy this time around and he certainly is big and he certainly is physical.

So, we're up against a white-hot QB and a run game that has worked against us in the past that is now upgraded by the presence of the only kind of back that gives us trouble. Sounds to me like you're both right.
Share 49ersWebzone