There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who else was AMAZED that rushing 3 worked so well......

I was......i thought the 3 man rush was the dumbest formation in football...i never seen it work well, till yesterday....the Justin Smith near sack at the end was too awesome to describe.......do you guys think we can use vs NYG?
I really don't know. All I know is in Harbaugh I trust.
3-4 D has almost alway been associated with the best D's in NFL history

its far more flexible than the 4-3, and usually teams that use it have to develop far more versatile pass rushers and have hybrid DL and LB that can fill multiple roles
Especially against two pro bowl guards
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
3-4 D has almost alway been associated with the best D's in NFL history

its far more flexible than the 4-3, and usually teams that use it have to develop far more versatile pass rushers and have hybrid DL and LB that can fill multiple roles

Only when your 3-4 DEs are stout against the run, great at penetrating, at setting the edge, and rushing the passer
Originally posted by Snider8706:

And pro-bowl tackle
This is how I expected to play the game. We will do more of the same vs. eli. You can't afford to blitz guys like brees and eli and rogers. Giants were very similar today.You have to keep it in front of you and play your tail off to prevent them from ripping big plays. It's sound football.
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
I was......i thought the 3 man rush was the dumbest formation in football...i never seen it work well, till yesterday....the Justin Smith near sack at the end was too awesome to describe.......do you guys think we can use vs NYG?

I completely agree. I couldn't believe we were rushing three, I thought Fangio was going to kill us. But then our players surprised me just as much.

Justin Smith was a monster. And a LOT of credit should go to RJF, he was collapsing the pocket too. On one play he beat a double block to put pressure on the pocket forcing Brees into a bad throw.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I completely agree. I couldn't believe we were rushing three, I thought Fangio was going to kill us. But then our players surprised me just as much.

Justin Smith was a monster. And a LOT of credit should go to RJF, he was collapsing the pocket too. On one play he beat a double block to put pressure on the pocket forcing Brees into a bad throw.

I was telling a friend that if you did a blooper reel about Brees, you could get 6 of the funniest low lights yesterday.....we had him throwing left handed....underhanded....i think he did a illegal forward pass.....the different formations screwed his brain up at times....think we blitzed Rogers in a couple times
[ Edited by vamphunter23 on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM ]
We have been rushing 3-4 most of the time throughout the whole year. For the most part it has effective pressure to go along with the coverage in the secondary. It gets criticized when occasionally a good offense beat that pressure to get a nice play here and there. But for the most part it has limited the scoring effectiveness of a passing offense especially into the redzone. Pretty obvious Fangio knows what he's doing.

I think we will play the Giants differently than we played the Saints. After a while they realized the Saints wasn't going to run the ball in traditional way and will pass more. So they rush 3 and some times 4 and not worry about the run too much. Can't do that with the Giants. They will run it wether they can do it consistently or not. But every one knows the Giants isn't a running team this year. We are a better defense since we met them earlier in the year.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM ]
Originally posted by vamphunter23:

Obviously if you are getting pressure then great. Earlier this year I too had not seen it work well despite what some people on this forum think. We were doing it alot and giving up big yards. However they were in the zone today and J smith needed to be doubled. I think they have to continue to mix it up and do whatever it takes to pressure Manning. I think they need to put Aldon in the game as much as possible for a 4 man rush. Creates a better pocket around him and will keep pressure up in his face. The giants will try to run the ball and have big and tougher backs then NO. I was really impressed with the coverage today...even though they blew a couple plays late, they sure played a great game in the DB.
OMG that bullrush Justin did which eventually pulled Brees down WAS AMAZING!
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:

3 man rush. They doubled RJF, AllDone, and left their pro bowl LT 1:1 against Cowboy. Big mistake.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Snider8706:

And pro-bowl tackle

Baas if he's healthy!
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:

cus of that play i'm gonna call him justin 'forklift' smith