LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

UPDATED: Honorary Team Captains For The NFC Championship = EDDIE D, HALEY & B-Y!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

HONORARY (i.e. PAST players/coaches!) captains

2 or more present players will still be there as well

Are there honorary captains out there for every game? If not, why have them at this game?
It should be about the current team and it should be all about business.
Garrison Hearst.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

HONORARY (i.e. PAST players/coaches!) captains

2 or more present players will still be there as well

Are there honorary captains out there for every game? If not, why have them at this game?
It should be about the current team and it should be all about business.

Is every game the NFC championship? They've been doing these honorary captaincies for season openings, certain alumni days, playoffs and Super Bowls for years so it's not like it's something new...I think it's neat that even as the visiting team the Niners will have their great former owner and legacy players there...don't think it detracts from the current players at all, if anything it helps to deflect if only for a few minutes the tenseness before a game a affords them a small respite from the magnitude of the moment
Originally posted by FGore2121:
Garrison Hearst.

f**king this!
Is every game the NFC championship? They've been doing these honorary captaincies for season openings, certain alumni days, playoffs and Super Bowls for years so it's not like it's something new...I think it's neat that even as the visiting team the Niners will have their great former owner and legacy players there...don't think it detracts from the current players at all, if anything it helps to deflect if only for a few minutes the tenseness before a game a affords them a small respite from the magnitude of the moment

Why not the Division playoff game or a Wildcard game? I just don't like the idea of having them on the road and would prefer that they hold them back for the Superbowl if the Niners get there.
Originally posted by 76Razor:
f**king this!

I don't like the idea of commemorating a loss.
Jerry Sullivan, Arnaz Battle and Taylor Jacobs FTW!
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
Braylon Edwards, Taylor Mays, and Chilo Rachal

You forgot Glen Coffee!
Originally posted by FGore2121:
Garrison Hearst.

I'll never forget when Hearst snapped his ankle on the first drive of that playoff game against the Dirty Birds. Andre Rison, Jamal Anderson... Let's not tempt fate again.

Why not the Division playoff game or a Wildcard game? I just don't like the idea of having them on the road and would prefer that they hold them back for the Superbowl if the Niners get there.

ummm, you're making some self-defeating arguments here. it's called HONORARY team captains for a reason in that it's something that's done rarely, and yet you're asking why can't it be expanded more... that would defeat the purpose and lessen the esteem inherent in the designation in the first place would it not?

ummm, you're making some self-defeating arguments here. it's called HONORARY team captains for a reason in that it's something that's done rarely, and yet you're asking why can't it be expanded more... that would defeat the purpose and lessen the esteem inherent in the designation in the first place would it not?

I did not ask why it cannot be expanded more, I asked why do it for this game and I am arguing that I don't like it. That is my opinion and I am not "self-defeating" my opinion. I don't give a crap about the esteem of it all. IMO, it seems like too much for a road playoff game and few in the stands in Atlanta care to see these guys.

I did not ask why it cannot be expanded more, I asked why do it for this game and I am arguing that I don't like it. That is my opinion and I am not "self-defeating" my opinion. I don't give a crap about the esteem of it all. IMO, it seems like too much for a road playoff game and few in the stands in Atlanta care to see these guys.

having it done for visiting teams isn't a novel concept, the 49ers and cowboys exchanged such courtesies with each other for both the '92 and '93 NFC title games. honestly I think a lot if it is just a dog and pony show between owners to try trump each other, so Jed is main guy you should take issue with. Most of the time the coinflip isn't even televised (unless it's the SB) so yeah, it's only really a spectacle for the crowd at the specific stadium. In the end though, in a game of magnitude where if you lose your season is done I think current players would have more important things on their minds than being butthurt or slighted that some old-timer was being recognized alongside them...
having it done for visiting teams isn't a novel concept, the 49ers and cowboys exchanged such courtesies with each other for both the '92 and '93 NFC title games. honestly I think a lot if it is just a dog and pony show between owners to try trump each other, so Jed is main guy you should take issue with. Most of the time the coinflip isn't even televised (unless it's the SB) so yeah, it's only really a spectacle for the crowd at the specific stadium. In the end though, in a game of magnitude where if you lose your season is done I think current players would have more important things on their minds than being butthurt or slighted that some old-timer was being recognized alongside them...

It is nice that the organization has done a 180 in how they treat key people from the dynasty era. John York was terrible about that kind of thing (and just about everything else). I'd rather see Eddie get this honor at home.
I don't think the players will feel slighted but I definitely don't want to see Hearst on the field.
It really isn't a big issue for me I was simply offering up my opinion.
Eddie D definitely, BY definitely, kinda surprised by Haley but he was a great niner. i woulda went with Hearst, Craig, Young, Montana, Clark or Rice but maybe theyre saving them for the superbowl captains
Share 49ersWebzone