LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

This was not like T.O.'s catch....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You're right...it was better.

Consider: the flow of the game (which is immediately one of the NFL's greatest ever), the fact that we've been arguably the worst team in the NFL the past decade, that Alex Smith and to some extent VD have taken endless s**t, and that those two players combined on the play that delivered the team (and themselves) from purgatory. Remember, when TO caught the pass we expected Young to somehow get it done, because that is what we 49er fans grew accustomed to over the previous 20 years. This, on the other hand, was Alex Smith. ALEX SMITH!? QBing a team that did nothing but break our hearts (or some times not even compete) for most of the past decade. This was Vernon Davis, the guy who loves to jump catch and can have inconsistent hands. Everyone in America was still thinking, up until that throw, there is no way he's getting this done--including me. It's not that I wanted him to fail, but rather, the ineptitude of the last decade made it very hard for me to really, truly believe.

Plus, the resemblance is uncanny. I immediately thought of TO...it was almost the same route, just about 8 yards closer. But same spot going in to the same end zone absorbing a huge hit and somehow holding on to the ball....and then the crying. C'mon Man.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
This guy always talks out of arse

...Says the guy who passionately argued that teams wouldn't be willing to trade a king's ransom to move up for Andrew Luck...

Bro story cool.
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners9ers:
VD looked Wayy better than T.O When Crying Tho

Originally posted by andes14:

...Says the guy who passionately argued that teams wouldn't be willing to trade a king's ransom to move up for Andrew Luck...

Says the guy he would rather tie then win

this guys favorite play in football is taking the knee lol
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Ummmmm...... Should of listened to me and taken the night off...... Just making thing worse for yourself.
Originally posted by merm49:
You're right...it was better.

Consider: the flow of the game (which is immediately one of the NFL's greatest ever), the fact that we've been arguably the worst team in the NFL the past decade, that Alex Smith and to some extent VD have taken endless s**t, and that those two players combined on the play that delivered the team (and themselves) from purgatory. Remember, when TO caught the pass we expected Young to somehow get it done, because that is what we 49er fans grew accustomed to over the previous 20 years. This, on the other hand, was Alex Smith. ALEX SMITH!? QBing a team that did nothing but break our hearts (or some times not even compete) for most of the past decade. This was Vernon Davis, the guy who loves to jump catch and can have inconsistent hands. Everyone in America was still thinking, up until that throw, there is no way he's getting this done--including me. It's not that I wanted him to fail, but rather, the ineptitude of the last decade made it very hard for me to really, truly believe.

Plus, the resemblance is uncanny. I immediately thought of TO...it was almost the same route, just about 8 yards closer. But same spot going in to the same end zone absorbing a huge hit and somehow holding on to the ball....and then the crying. C'mon Man.

That could very well be true. I'm not arguing whether it was better or worse. I'm simply pointing out that the dynamic of the game's situation was completely different so trying to draw too much of a parallel (i.e. re-creating the nickname) is illogical. There was a level of desperation in TO's. When you have OT in your back pocket, there is no desperation. A TD is a luxury as opposed to a necessity. The presence of freakin' DESPERATION implies a different dynamic, IMO.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Ummmmm...... Should of listened to me and taken the night off...... Just making thing worse for yourself.

By pointing out the idiocy of someone else claiming teams wouldn't give up a lot for Luck. I don't understand why you still post in this thread if you despise it so much...

Except for the fact that I never said I'd rather tie than win and that's obviously not true. You blatantly (and repeatedly) said that teams would not give up a ton to move up for Andrew Luck.

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Well what would you call the play then?

Also fellas, FYI, I PERFECTLY would understand your disagreeing with me. If you think the fact that we had OT in our back pocket (and maybe that the level of difficulty of the catch doesn't really compare to those of Clark/Owens) isn't enough of a difference and that you like the nickname, that's great, I certainly respect and understand where you're coming from. But to think I'm not happy about the win, or bashing it, or not enjoying it, or all these other accusations, is just ASININE. If you will call our next game winning TD catch in the playoffs "The Catch IV" regardless of any other potential difference in circumstances, that's great. Do it. I just hold a different opinion.
Well what would you call the play then?

Does each great play HAVE to have a nickname? And if it does, does it HAVE to just be tacking on a roman numeral to previous nicknames?

Except for the fact that I never said I'd rather tie than win and that's obviously not true. You blatantly (and repeatedly) said that teams would not give up a ton to move up for Andrew Luck.

Has anyone given up anything yet?
Share 49ersWebzone