There are 173 users in the forums

Press Coverage Key Against Teams Like Saints and Packers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Crennel and the Chiefs beat the Packers that way...

The timing is so important for passing teams like the Saints/Packers that if the niners are able to disrupt teams with the bump-and-run it may work.

Is this the key for us to beat the Saints and Packers?

Have we played a lot of press coverage during the season? (I haven't watched enough games to notice)

Do we have the personnel that can play good press coverage?

Should we play a lot of nickel/dime packages and play press coverage with safety help?

Maybe we should dare teams to run ... will the niners be good at stopping the run even in their nickel/dime packages?
yes
maybe
not really
yes
yes
yes
yes, getting pressure on Brees disrupts timing too.

we dont play a ot of press coverage. the camera angles are bad, but i dont recall ever seeing us pressing.(doesnt mean it hasnt happened, not enough for me to notice)

I dont think we have press corners.

Nickel package would get Aldon on the field so yes we should play in the nickel, idk if pressing is smart. brees can make that back shoulder throw and can fit it into the window between the DB and S. cover 2, with a mix of man and zone. Rogers is real smart and usually puts himself in great position to make a play.

Yes, they are still very good at stopping the run in the nickel. I think our best personnel is on the field in the nickel. Rogers is a great tackler and he usually plays in the slot in nickel situations.
  • dj43
You cannot allow quality receivers to leave the LOS unobstructed. Press coverage goes hand-in-hand with pressure on the QB. It is the only way to slow down a good passing team.

PRESSURE

PRESSURE

PRESSURE!!
Originally posted by Sinsation:

, idk if pressing is smart. brees can make that back shoulder throw and can fit it into the window between the DB and S. cover 2, with a mix of man and zone.

someones been playing madden
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
yes
maybe
not really
yes
yes
yes

lol
lmao
rofl
lol
lol
lol
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
You cannot allow quality receivers to leave the LOS unobstructed. Press coverage goes hand-in-hand with pressure on the QB. It is the only way to slow down a good passing team.

PRESSURE

PRESSURE

PRESSURE!!

Agreed. I always liked corner blitzes too so you can always fake press coverage, occasionally switch to zone and come with corner blitzes and other blitz plays... seeing creative blitz packages and alternating between press and 'fake' press coverage can work I think.. I need to see more film on the saints & niners..

PRESSURE

PRESSURE

PRESSURE!!

We rarely play press coverage but we don't blitz often which means we have numbers in coverage and play a lot of underneath coverage. Brees will be required to find all the right windows and I'm sure we will devise a DL plan to block his favorite windows.

The key to shutting him down is not just pressure, but pressure with our front 4. You can't expect to blitz and not get burned every time.

Look at how he beat DET, he looked off the DB's a lot and went the other way. He will try to do that a lot. Our coverage just can't bite and make him look off, then go back to where he wants to throw and it not be there. That will force him to throw a second later than he wants to.
Originally posted by Joecool:

PRESSURE

PRESSURE

PRESSURE!!

We rarely play press coverage but we don't blitz often which means we have numbers in coverage and play a lot of underneath coverage. Brees will be required to find all the right windows and I'm sure we will devise a DL plan to block his favorite windows.

The key to shutting him down is not just pressure, but pressure with our front 4. You can't expect to blitz and not get burned every time.

Look at how he beat DET, he looked off the DB's a lot and went the other way. He will try to do that a lot. Our coverage just can't bite and make him look off, then go back to where he wants to throw and it not be there. That will force him to throw a second later than he wants to.

This is exactly why constant pressure will be key.

If he doesn't have time in the pocket he won't have time for pump and shoulder fakes. Just like every other QB, he is human and will stall if he's pressured constantly. Just like Eli and Big Ben, he will throw picks if he's forced to throw earlier than normal. We have to knock off those timing routes, it's not going to be easy to accomplish all of this, but if we do, then we'll have them.
Originally posted by Jd925:

PRESSURE

PRESSURE

PRESSURE!!

Agreed. I always liked corner blitzes too so you can always fake press coverage, occasionally switch to zone and come with corner blitzes and other blitz plays... seeing creative blitz packages and alternating between press and 'fake' press coverage can work I think.. I need to see more film on the saints & niners..

"John McTigue of ESPN Stats & Information pointed out, Brees has completed a league-high 52.1 percent of his passes over the past two seasons while throwing under duress."

Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:

PRESSURE

PRESSURE

PRESSURE!!

This is exactly why constant pressure will be key.

If he doesn't have time in the pocket he won't have time for pump and shoulder fakes. Just like every other QB, he is human and will stall if he's pressured constantly. Just like Eli and Big Ben, he will throw picks if he's forced to throw earlier than normal. We have to knock off those timing routes, it's not going to be easy to accomplish all of this, but if we do, then we'll have them.

Yeah but KC has very strong and good DB's. As good as our guys are, they are not press guys. They are great at underneath coverage and Goldson and Whitner have a lot of speed to help on top.

I think we will do a lot of Cover 3 with Goldson moving down to the 10-15 yard spot in the middle. He's a hitter and can play the ball. We have done that a lot with him as he's like a LB with hands and playing that 10-15 yard middle is perfect for him. Rogers will be the nickel playing underneath coverage over the slot and that will leave Willis and Bowman to zone underneath on the TE and RB.

When we do apply pressure, it will mostly be with one LB possible Bowman. This still allows us to play cover 2 bump and run with Brooks and Willis dropping back.

I really don't see us rushing more than 5 at any time.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM ]
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by Jd925:

PRESSURE

PRESSURE

PRESSURE!!

"John McTigue of ESPN Stats & Information pointed out, Brees has completed a league-high 52.1 percent of his passes over the past two seasons while throwing under duress."

It's more important to off his timing with bumping the receivers off route than with trying to blitz him off his timing. 1.5 seconds ain't going to get to him, no matter how many times you blitz.
consistent pressure from our front 7 give us the best shot at winning this game.
Originally posted by Sinsation:
yes, getting pressure on Brees disrupts timing too.

we dont play a ot of press coverage. the camera angles are bad, but i dont recall ever seeing us pressing.(doesnt mean it hasnt happened, not enough for me to notice)

I dont think we have press corners.

Nickel package would get Aldon on the field so yes we should play in the nickel, idk if pressing is smart. brees can make that back shoulder throw and can fit it into the window between the DB and S. cover 2, with a mix of man and zone. Rogers is real smart and usually puts himself in great position to make a play.

Yes, they are still very good at stopping the run in the nickel. I think our best personnel is on the field in the nickel. Rogers is a great tackler and he usually plays in the slot in nickel situations.

nickel will be key in having another db to match up with speedy sproles. also, press coverage at the line can slow down the wrs and their routes to allow that extra second needed for the pass rush to get there......however in the saints case, we might need more than an extra second....brees has all day to throw no matter who they are playing
I think the defense is going to play the way they've played all year.

Let Andy Lee set the field position giving them a long field to work with and more chances to make mistakes...

Make them earn every single yard...

Give up things underneath and make the tackle on the initial contact..

Take away the deep ball...

and let the base rushers consistently hit the QB
Share 49ersWebzone