LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Brees, 1.5 seconds, and alex

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by dj43:
Nobody is questioning Brees. The discussion has been about how he is able to get the ball out so quickly. A big part of that is the fact his receivers have shown him they are reliable in catching the ball, even if somewhat off target. That along with the other issues I mentioned are a big part of it.

If you watch, Brees also stands in throwing position all the time while in the pocket. He doesn't have to set his feet when he decides to throw, because they are already set. He saves some time this way and is able to make emergency throws whereas other QBs might have a sack instead. I saw an analyst detail this on film and I have noticed it ever since. He also has an incredibly quick release.

Good point. Brees' footwork is probably the best of any QB in the league. He has worked very hard on that, particularly sliding from one side of the pocket to the other. Being shorter than almost all other QBs, he has to move laterally in order to see the field if there is any pressure at all coming up the middle. His lateral shuffle steps are not only quick, they are smooth. As a result, when he does see an opportunity to throw it, his feet are already in position. That is a major reason he is so good under pressure.

When he first came out of Purdue, he struggled trying to throw over the taller linemen. It took him until his fourth season before he began to look like a pro QB. In the meantime, in those first three years, he threw 3 more INTs than TDs, many being the result of trying to throw OVER DL rather than sliding to the side as he later learned.
[ Edited by dj43 on Jan 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM ]
Drew Brees has been one of the best QB in the NFL for a number of years (six or seven) and he had Norv Turner as a OC early on and Payton as his HC, who was an OC or QB coach for seven teams, both college and pros. So Brees has always been around coaches who understand the position and who can help him develop. Watching him is just very enjoyable.

The upcoming games are not just exciting because the 9ers are playing but because they are playing the best QBs in the league. It could be Brees, Rodgers and then Brady. Quite an assignment for the 9er DBs!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM ]
Nobody is questioning Brees. The discussion has been about how he is able to get the ball out so quickly. A big part of that is the fact his receivers have shown him they are reliable in catching the ball, even if somewhat off target. That along with the other issues I mentioned are a big part of it.

If you watch, Brees also stands in throwing position all the time while in the pocket. He doesn't have to set his feet when he decides to throw, because they are already set. He saves some time this way and is able to make emergency throws whereas other QBs might have a sack instead. I saw an analyst detail this on film and I have noticed it ever since. He also has an incredibly quick release.

Good point. Brees' footwork is probably the best of any QB in the league. He has worked very hard on that, particularly sliding from one side of the pocket to the other. Being shorter than almost all other QBs, he has to move laterally in order to see the field if there is any pressure at all coming up the middle. His lateral shuffle steps are not only quick, they are smooth. As a result, when he does see an opportunity to throw it, his feet are already in position. That is a major reason he is so good under pressure.

When he first came out of Purdue, he struggled trying to throw over the taller linemen. It took him until his fourth season before he began to look like a pro QB. In the meantime, in those first three years, he threw 3 more INTs than TDs, many being the result of trying to throw OVER DL rather than sliding to the side as he later learned.

Drew brees lit it up his second year and became a top QB in his fourth. His third year, he only played 11 games. And this was all for a team that kept looking for something better and werent ever fully behind drew.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

Drew brees lit it up his second year and became a top QB in his fourth. His third year, he only played 11 games. And this was all for a team that kept looking for something better and werent ever fully behind drew.

I wouldn't say he "lit it up" his second year. He passed for 3,200 yards, 60% completion, 17 TDs, 16 INTs, 77 QBR. Pretty unspectacular to me.

His 3rd year he dropped off significantly. As you said, 11 games, 57% completion, 11 TDs, 15 INTs, 67 QBR.

His 4th year was the first time he really lit things up.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
alex is the 6 second man
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
alex is the 6 second man

jealous?

i wish alex had 6 seconds in the pocket
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i wish alex had 6 seconds in the pocket

Hey, he has about that per quarter! He should be an all pro with that kind of time!
Share 49ersWebzone