LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Defending Jimmy Graham

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PaulW:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Um...our defense lines up against this type of TE every practice. Maybe you've heard of him....Vernon Davis. Ring a bell? Vernon's leaping ability rivals or maybe surpasses Graham's.

1st team defense does not practice against 1st team offense so no they do not.

true, but recently they have mostly in the redzone
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Hit Drew Brees.
Bump him on the line as much as possible, and hit him really f**king hard when possible
Wait until PW, NB, DG, DW put a couple licks to him...he will think twice. Willis has done a terrific job defending the TE - I expect him to give this dude fits. D-line going to get up on Brees ... need the secondary to hold up for 3-5 seconds
Originally posted by Joecool:
The only thing I don't like about playing the Saints is that it will give GB an idea of how our Nickel is going to be.

Who cares. Can't keep everything hidden forever.

I doubt it will give GB any more or less of an advantage.

I think people are not giving the team enough credit for what it did to shut down the Giants. There was a bit of a stretch but don't break mentality there in the 4th quarter, but only 13 points allowed in 3 quarters. Eli Manning with his receivers are quite legitimate....I do not see NO or GB being league's better in the passing dept.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
The only thing I don't like about playing the Saints is that it will give GB an idea of how our Nickel is going to be.

Who cares. Can't keep everything hidden forever.

I doubt it will give GB any more or less of an advantage.

I think people are not giving the team enough credit for what it did to shut down the Giants. There was a bit of a stretch but don't break mentality there in the 4th quarter, but only 13 points allowed in 3 quarters. Eli Manning with his receivers are quite legitimate....I do not see NO or GB being league's better in the passing dept.

I don't know. NYG aren't exactly a spread type of team. NO and GB go 4-wide a lot.
I don't know. NYG aren't exactly a spread type of team. NO and GB go 4-wide a lot.

Then, we use our Nickle D on them primarily. Line 4-2-5... or even 4-1-6...in the Dime with Smith and Smith taking care of the front end while Rodgers, Brown, Culliver/Brock, Goldson and Whitner take care of the back.

I believe we can do it. As long as we can apply pressure with just a front four, it will allow us to suffocate the deep pass to make them throw in front and we surely tackle them at that point like always do.

Nothing like a swarming D to wreak havoc!!!!
we have to have Shawnte out there for most of the game....why not have him guard Graham with help, and have Rogers cover Colston. With Brown Moore....and Culli on speedy Henderson.

Bowman following Sporles out of the backfield...

yeah, I wish it were really that easy.
Their WR corp isn't what it used to be. Not one receiver will require a double-team.

LOLz...
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Their WR corp isn't what it used to be. Not one receiver will require a double-team.

LOLz...

There really isnt anyone that we have to double team except Jimmy Graham.
Rogers can take Colston
Brown can take Moore, Culliver can take Henderson

Just need to put PWilly on Graham with safety help.

Let's play some old school style ball and let Vernon go iron man and d this chump up.
Originally posted by ImaMod:

LOLz...

There really isnt anyone that we have to double team except Jimmy Graham.
Rogers can take Colston
Brown can take Moore, Culliver can take Henderson

Just need to put PWilly on Graham with safety help.

You really think that? Oh boy.... okay then. I'd love to believe that, but I do watch every Saints game as well as Niners, and simply must disagree.
just thinking if it wasn't for him being tackled into his coach they may have gotten less losses and home-field advantage ..but on this note d-line needs to bring the pressure and neutralize him (graham) like the rams did! brees is their biggest asset so its best to go target brees before anything.
You really think that? Oh boy.... okay then. I'd love to believe that, but I do watch every Saints game as well as Niners, and simply must disagree.

Oldman--is Meachem out? I was posting a list of receivers for several teams on the Smith thread and he was a leader among the NO receivers, #4 WR if I remember correctly. Are their receivers healthy? Much talk about the 9ers having just as many good receivers as the elite teams...seems not to be the case to me but I'm getting tired of research.
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
The guy is a freak at 6'6 and very athletic! I know we don't have any 6'6 cornerbacks on the roster so how do you defend against this guy. TEs have given us fits over the years because of the zone defence we play in the secondary. We had no answer for Jason Whitten in week 2 and if I recall Heath Miller had a monster game for the Steelers.

I dont think any team in the NFL has any 6'6' cornerbacks
Share 49ersWebzone