LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

do we have the best Special Teams in the history of the NFL this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

do we have the best Special Teams in the history of the NFL this year?

--Punter Andy Lee set the NFL record for single-season net punting average of 43.99 yards. The previous record was held by Oakland's Shane Lechler, who averaged 43.85 net yards in 2009. On Sunday, Lee averaged 56.8 yards (51.4 net) on five punts.

--Kicker David Akers scored 165 points on the season to set the NFL record for most points scored in a single season with no touchdowns. Gary Anderson (Minnesota) held the previous record of 164 points in 1998.

Ginn had helped create field position all year.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:35 PM ]
If not thee best ... in the top 10 at least
Best... special teams... EVER.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Net Yards in punting
Total Points for kicking
Return Yardage for returning

Those are the three most important phases of special teams. And we have records in both...within one season. So, yes, very likely.
The FG record is impressive but also shows our lack of production scoring TDs. We didn't score a first half touchdown from the NYG game until yesterday
On top of everything already mentioned, we also didn't allow a TD return whether it was a KO of PR.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Best niner special teams I can ever remember.

In the past I would just hope for us not to fumble the return and not allow a TD. Now it is an actual strength.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

In the past I would just hope for us not to fumble the return and not allow a TD. Now it is an actual strength.

I think it might even be better than our defense.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by susweel:

I think it might even be better than our defense.

that's hard to say because defense plays so many more snaps a game than ST plays
Originally posted by global_nomad:
--Punter Andy Lee set the NFL record for single-season net punting average of 43.99 yards. The previous record was held by Oakland's Shane Lechler, who averaged 43.85 net yards in 2009. On Sunday, Lee averaged 56.8 yards (51.4 net) on five punts.

--Kicker David Akers scored 165 points on the season to set the NFL record for most points scored in a single season with no touchdowns. Gary Anderson (Minnesota) held the previous record of 164 points in 1998.

We haven't scored a ST touchdown since Week 1...so no. Very good punter/kicker and coverage units...and Ginn IS a helluva returner...and so we are very very very great. But to be the best ever, we probably should have scored at least a couple more TD's...

Andy Lee is a weapon. A punter -- a weapon. Yes

He's one of the reason it's not so bad to play it safe, punt the ball. Get it inside the 5. Then let the defense be aggressive to get a turnover. Yesterday's game against the Rams, there were a couple of perfect example of the team play to get the offense the ball at the Rams 30yds after a punt
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by global_nomad:

We haven't scored a ST touchdown since Week 1...so no. Very good punter/kicker and coverage units...and Ginn IS a helluva returner...and so we are very very very great. But to be the best ever, we probably should have scored at least a couple more TD's...

I can't recall any other team in NFL history being better in kicking and punting in the same year.

A lot of teams have good return numbers but are average in the other aspects of ST, (Hester's ST unit comes to mind)
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
On top of everything already mentioned, we also didn't allow a TD return whether it was a KO of PR.

Or fumble. Or interception. But that's another topic!
And the best ST Coordinator, Brad Selly.
I am extremely pleased that we do not have problems with kickers blowing games for us like the last time the niners were good.

Jose Cortez, Owen Pochman....
Share 49ersWebzone