LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 203 users in the forums

How many more years is Gore our starter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How many more years is Gore our starter?

Originally posted by bigwads:
I don't understand why Dixon doesn't play more. Good things happen when he touches the ball.

It's because he doesn't hit the hole hard enough, and he doesn't have the ability to cut back when the chance is there.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I have two Gore jerseys and have always been a fan, but its time to move on; starting next season.

Sure he had 5 straight hundred yard rushing 100 games this season, but I put a lot of that production on the offensive line and scheme. It worked really well in the middle of the season, because our jumbo packages was something teams had never seen. Then, after enough film was out, teams caught on and his running production dropped off. I'm not saying Gore is washed up, but he is no longer an elite running back. All you have to do is look at this YPC this year vs. Hunter. Gore has 4.3 ypc, while Hunter averaged 4.2.

The truth is, all things must come to an end. 8 years as a featured back in the NFL is a very long time. The time to move is now, not 2 years from now when he actually becomes a liability. If we can cut/trade Joe, Jerry and Lott, we certainly can move on from Gore (as painful as it may be).
And this is the truth.

I envisage he will feature next year but I also think we make a move for a free agent or draft another RB. Regardless of how we feel he is playing now he doesn't have the same burst. Its not a criticism. Its age.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Dixon is in the dog house with this coaching group. He will probably be replaced by a draft pick soon.

I don't see that happening and I don't recall the coaching staff saying hes in the dog house either. To be frank (no pun intended) the reason he is third on the depth chart (this is my opinion) is that Hunter is just a better change of pace running back, where as Dixon is some what of the same kind of RB that Gore is, of course Dixon is a lot less polished. I think the 49ers will bring in someone new at RB next year and Dixon might see some FB play in TC and preseason.

It was reported during the bye week that the coaching staff didn't like his work ethic and maturity. He seemed to get to wild after making special teams tackles and they told him he needed to cool it. And he admitted he could improve in that area.
Im having a little trouble finding that on the web. Link?
Gore is to Inconsistent. People view him as a Elite back but really he is average.
Realistically 2 more seasons.

I wouldn't be upset if we Balke pulls the trigger on a Montee Ball/David Wilson/Chris Polk. Whoever is available a the bottom of the first round.
I'd say 2. I don't think he has even 3 great years left. We need a RB of the future. Hunter is more of a change of pace very small and quick back. So he is not a true #1 RB IMO. Thus we still need our RB of the future. It's a position we need to look at in the draft.
Dixon is in the dog house with this coaching group. He will probably be replaced by a draft pick soon.

I don't see that happening and I don't recall the coaching staff saying hes in the dog house either. To be frank (no pun intended) the reason he is third on the depth chart (this is my opinion) is that Hunter is just a better change of pace running back, where as Dixon is some what of the same kind of RB that Gore is, of course Dixon is a lot less polished. I think the 49ers will bring in someone new at RB next year and Dixon might see some FB play in TC and preseason.

It was reported during the bye week that the coaching staff didn't like his work ethic and maturity. He seemed to get to wild after making special teams tackles and they told him he needed to cool it. And he admitted he could improve in that area.

Dixon said head coach Jim Harbaugh, running backs coach Tom Rathman and special-teams coordinator Brad Seely have each challenged him to improve every aspect of his game.

"Coaches are just trying for me to be perfect," Dixon said. "That's the way I see it. They want me to be perfect, and we all know how hard that is to achieve. But they feel like I can do it, and I feel like I can do it."

"They want me to be just that much more crisp. I'm down for it. I've accepted it (the challenge), and I'm ready to go."

"He (Harbaugh) challenged me to get my attitude back in check, too. I got to work on getting my attitude back into shape and being that much more polished on my plays." While Harbaugh and the coaches have asked Dixon to turn up his level of execution, the head coach has requested that he tone down his action on special teams. Dixon said Harbaugh has told him to stop talking to the opponent's sideline after plays.

"It's what he wants me to do," Dixon said. "It's the Harbaugh way. I got to learn to do things the Harbaugh way, and then maybe I'll see the field some more.

"I'm ready. I can't wait to get the opportunity. I feel like I can bring another dimension to the offense. I just got to wait for my opportunity. . . . It kind of messes with my attitude sometimes, but I know coach wants me to get (it) right, get special teams right, be perfect on that."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/07/11/Dixon-accepts-challenge-from-49ers-coach/l_sf49ers_talk.html?blockID=574066&feedID=2800
[ Edited by global_nomad on Jan 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM ]

Dixon said head coach Jim Harbaugh, running backs coach Tom Rathman and special-teams coordinator Brad Seely have each challenged him to improve every aspect of his game.

"Coaches are just trying for me to be perfect," Dixon said. "That's the way I see it. They want me to be perfect, and we all know how hard that is to achieve. But they feel like I can do it, and I feel like I can do it."

"They want me to be just that much more crisp. I'm down for it. I've accepted it (the challenge), and I'm ready to go."

"He (Harbaugh) challenged me to get my attitude back in check, too. I got to work on getting my attitude back into shape and being that much more polished on my plays." While Harbaugh and the coaches have asked Dixon to turn up his level of execution, the head coach has requested that he tone down his action on special teams. Dixon said Harbaugh has told him to stop talking to the opponent's sideline after plays.

"It's what he wants me to do," Dixon said. "It's the Harbaugh way. I got to learn to do things the Harbaugh way, and then maybe I'll see the field some more.

"I'm ready. I can't wait to get the opportunity. I feel like I can bring another dimension to the offense. I just got to wait for my opportunity. . . . It kind of messes with my attitude sometimes, but I know coach wants me to get (it) right, get special teams right, be perfect on that."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/07/11/Dixon-accepts-challenge-from-49ers-coach/l_sf49ers_talk.html?blockID=574066&feedID=2800
Thanx for taking the time to find the link I do remember reading that.

I don't know that I took that as the coaching staff put him in the dog house though, It just seemed to me they were trying to challenge him and make him a better all around player and to be fair we have seen him more since then.

So nice to have a coaching staff that wants players to step up and not hand them easy opportunities.
Until they bring back Plan B free agency...

Frank's entering his "Thomas Jones years." RBBC is coming to SF...

No wait, it's already here!
I don't understand why Dixon doesn't play more. Good things happen when he touches the ball.

agreed

hes not very good

To the tune of 3.3 yards per carry, my friend.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I think we need to draft a back this year, you don't set "All time" records at the beginning of your career! I would picture Frank being used much like he has been the last 3-4 games, no more "Bell Cow". Just anther back in the rotation.

I doubt we use a high pick on a RB. Depending on free agency, we will need a WR and likely OLB, also a RG, it may be hard to get a Guard, Im iffy on throwing a lot of money at an OG.
Share 49ersWebzone