There are 200 users in the forums

49ers can prove that balance is better than a strong passing offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I can easily see the following scenario happen. Of course, this depends on the 49ers actually winning the games.

Division Round: 49ers versus New Orleans
Championship Round: 49ers versus Green Bay
Super Bowl: 49ers versus New England

All three have passing as their strength, with less than average defenses I believe. If the 49ers managed to win all 3, I think it would send a big message that teams need to strive for balance - passing alone won't get you a SB win. (Of course, if the 49ers lose any of those games, they will instead write how the league has changed, and all you need to win is a good QB/passing offense).
We're the Chosen One....only we can bring balance to the Force....
what could people say about alex if he beats three "HOF" qb's?

"defense carried us!" lol
Originally posted by Method:
what could people say about alex if he beats three "HOF" qb's?

"defense carried us!" lol

What defines Alex beating them and not the team?
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
What defines Alex beating them and not the team?

300 yards passing benchmark duh...
Using the logic that balance beats a great passing attack, wouldnt that put Baltimore in the SB over the Patriots?
We might be the most balanced overall team. Can we score enough to win in the playoffs? I don't know? We could and we could be 1 and done too. I don't know what to expect from this team. We are definitely good enough to win. But easily capable of losing due to low scoring.
It's possible to have a good QB, running game and a good defense. The niners happen to have a great defense, special teams and a very mediocre offense. The niners have a chance against any team in the playoffs right now. I am curious to see how aggressive the players come out playing. If they believe they belong they can pull some wins out.
27 points to Romo and the Cowboys in overtime.
23 points to a very fast Eagles offense who were playing very well against us.
19 points against the Lions when they were one of the hottest teams in football.
20 points allowed to the "Elite" Eli Manning.
3 points against Ben Roethlisberger, (albeit a gimpy Roethlisberger)

Our defense is good. Some of the above teams are the best offenses in football. I'd say the Saints and Packers are another tier though... but still. We can compete and our defense can hold against the best offenses in football. If the Rams can beat the Saints, and the Chiefs can beat the Packers... we can too. And we can do it in convincing fashion.

At the same time... our offense has GOT to produce touchdowns in the redzone. Field goals aren't going to cut it against the Packers and Saints... who can score 20-30 points.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
We're the Chosen One....only we can bring balance to the Force....

We already proved it in the 80's.
Originally posted by fryet:
I can easily see the following scenario happen. Of course, this depends on the 49ers actually winning the games.

Division Round: 49ers versus New Orleans
Championship Round: 49ers versus Green Bay
Super Bowl: 49ers versus New England

All three have passing as their strength, with less than average defenses I believe. If the 49ers managed to win all 3, I think it would send a big message that teams need to strive for balance - passing alone won't get you a SB win. (Of course, if the 49ers lose any of those games, they will instead write how the league has changed, and all you need to win is a good QB/passing offense).

Tell that to the Saints. Tell that to the Rams.
We'll find out if defense still wins championships. With all of the rule changes over the years favoring offense, it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
We'll find out if defense still wins championships. With all of the rule changes over the years favoring offense, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Defense won championships for the Bucs and the Ravens within the last 12 years.

The Giants defensive performance in the playoffs is arguably another one. It can certainly be done with that formula.
You all saw the fake FG to Crabs. Coach is not above using trickery, nor is above using a tough defense to beat a great offense. Our STs are not just good, they routinely make each change of possession a 20-25 yd difference, and over the course of the game may give us another 100 yds, or conversely, deduct 100 yds from our opponent. Obviously, no team likes to routinely be starting between the 5 and 15 yd line, possession after possession. It is, in fact, not just a huge physical fact, it also helps demoralize the opponents.

As to N.O., who wiped the field with us last time we played in Preseason, they now have a vastly better team, a sensational QB, a better coach than we do(merely based on more pro experience, plus a SB win), and their D has gotten better. I do not expect our O to get humiliated this time however, and Coach H has learned that if you we are getting bullrushed ,corner and safety rushed, the answer is a 2 second pass, or a one stepper. It is literally, "snap it and sling it". Those passes necessarily are quick slants and outs, bang-bang. Coach used that against his brother in the last 3 mins of the Ravens game, and it was the only time we had the ravens back on their heels. Obviously if our QB is laying on his back after every pass , or is sacked 3 times in the first 3 snaps, we need to go hurry up, (2 minute drill) and throw quick slants and outs. When the D finally backs off the LOS, then we can open up lanes for frank, and toss a 3 stepper(10-15 yarder of two). But if alex is just getting drilled, Harbaugh now knows what to do , because he has seen this team do it to us before.

Can we match Brees? Probably not, but he hasn't played a lot of D's that are first in a lot of D stats. Nor a ST that routinely puts opponents in the hole or makes for 25 yrd shifts in each change of possession. It will take our best effort ever, and will probably require a fair amt of blitzing to have a chance against N.O. Thank goodness the game is not at their home, where they are seemingly unbeatable. All 3 of their losses this yr were on the road.

As for GB, again, Rodgers has not played great Ds this yr, or if so, not that much. They have 2 OTs out, and I believe an OG. On D they have a lousy 2ndary, plus they can be run on. They will be focused for us or whomever they play, but we cannot get into a scoring contest with them, because they win that. Coach Harbaugh knows all this. Also, Sean payton is a better coach than our HC, and McCarthy is his equal. Obviously both teams have two of the best QBs on the planet( ok, 3 with Brady), but we have our strengths also. How JH gameplans for N.O. or GB will be fascinating. I hope he calls all our O calls. I also hope he calls the D. To win he has to be aggressive, and our WRs or whoever we have to catch the football, are going to have to step up. Tonite Crabs had 9 and Vernon 10. It would be nice to have another threat somewhere else. Swain did make a few catches also. Hopefully Kyle Williams is back, because he is a bona fide threat.

The real question will be can either of two QBs who are going to Canton, be beaten by clever game planning and play calling, a great and aggressive D, and incredible STs. Man I sure hope so, or this is going to just be a practice run at next yr.
Share 49ersWebzone