There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Potential 49ers Super Bowls that never happened.

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Joe Montana should've been put in the 2nd half (late 3rd qtr?) of the 1992 NFC-CG.....he could've nipped the Cowgirls 90s dynasty in the bud and pwned Aikman

Also,should've @ least kept Lott after the '90 season for D leadership....his departure precipitated Charles Haley's shattered trust in the front office/coaching and defection to the mentioned hated team from Dallas

Wow, I remember hoping that Joe would have gone in the 2nd half too.....imagine if he pulled it off??!

Very good info on this thread......learned a lot about those near miss teams.

You know, I think the powers above know when the time is right for an SF superbowl championship. Looking back I think some of us are a little too optimistic about winning every superbowl that we could have made. We'd be like the Cowboys 5-3 instead of what we are now...5-0.

BTW, the only game I recall of SF-Buffalo of that era we lost in the no punt game at the Stick.....

In 95 or 96 they played a Sunday night game at the Stick. Woodall returned a fumble 95+ yards for a TD. Niners won.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
This is why I hate the cowboys, packers, and refs. We should have at least another 4 rings from the 90's.

I hate the Packers always beat the 49ers in playoff all the time.. Make me soo sick about Green Bay Packers!!! and sometime refs probably hate the 49ers.. i dislike it...
yeah but don't forget, in the game where we beat the pack (The Catch II), Jerry Rice fumbled a ball and then caught it, and the refs never saw that. The Catch II should have never happened.

Yeah, i remember that.. The 49ers just beat the packer for one time in the playoff? dude! Its not enough beat the packers in the playoff that counts times! i dislike it!! i am not happy about it!! i hate the packers that make me soo sick!!
Craigs fumble I believe in 90 is the one that still hurts today.
Joe Montana should've been put in the 2nd half (late 3rd qtr?) of the 1992 NFC-CG.....he could've nipped the Cowgirls 90s dynasty in the bud and pwned Aikman

Also,should've @ least kept Lott after the '90 season for D leadership....his departure precipitated Charles Haley's shattered trust in the front office/coaching and defection to the mentioned hated team from Dallas

Wow, I remember hoping that Joe would have gone in the 2nd half too.....imagine if he pulled it off??!

You know, I think the powers above know when the time is right for an SF superbowl championship. Looking back I think some of us are a little too optimistic about winning every superbowl that we could have made. We'd be like the Cowboys 5-3 instead of what we are now...5-0.

BTW, the only game I recall of SF-Buffalo of that era we lost in the no punt game at the Stick.....

before i say anything, f**k the cowboys. But wouldn't you consider 5-3 better than 5-0? They went to 3 more superbowls than us....
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

before i say anything, f**k the cowboys. But wouldn't you consider 5-3 better than 5-0? They went to 3 more superbowls than us....

Yeah, I think they have the high kicker card, but I'd take 6-0 over 5-3
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Dec 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

In 95 or 96 they played a Sunday night game at the Stick. Woodall returned a fumble 95+ yards for a TD. Niners won.

yup that was a december '95 game back when espn (and tnt in the first half of the season) had sunday night games....IIRC, gary plummer straight up jacked up thurman thomas? @ the goaline, knocked the ball loose and woodall took it the other way to the house....14-pt swing also 'cos the bills were about to tie it i believe...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
1990 was the big one. 49ers were one Roger Craig fumble away from going to the Superbowl where it would have been a three-peat. All the others you can discuss and disagree on but 1990 was really the the closest this team got without winning an actual Superbowl, that damn fumble...............

this

that title was in the bag.......then got fumbled away
What about 2010?

Would have had Aaron Rodgers and a Superbowl. Sorry, couldnt resist...hypotheticals and all.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

yup that was a december '95 game back when espn (and tnt in the first half of the season) had sunday night games....IIRC, gary plummer straight up jacked up thurman thomas? @ the goaline, knocked the ball loose and woodall took it the other way to the house....14-pt swing also 'cos the bills were about to tie it i believe...

It was Derek(sp) Holmes that Plummer launched himself at over the LOS like a missile. Probably would have been a personal foul this year. Great play!
  • DJD
  • Veteran
1997 = would've played Broncos btw, (Pats = 1996)

2 Games Away (lost in Divisional):

1972 - lost to Dallas, would've faced 'Skins, then undefeated Miami
1986 - lost to NYG, would've faced 'Skins, then Denver
1987 - lost to Vikings, would've played 'Skins, then Denver
1995 - lost to GB, would've played Dallas, then Steelers
1996 - lost to GB, would've played Panthers, then Patriots
1998 - lost to Falcons, would've played Vikings, then Broncos
2002 - lost to Tampa Bay, would've played Eagles, then Raiders

That 98 game was the one Heartz went down with a broken leg in the starting drive of the game. I knew that instant that it was over. Remember it like it was yesterday.. and in hind sight it was the play and injury that brought the dynasty to it's end. Here's to a new one!!
we can add this year
f**k KW
1990 prob takes it....to young (7 yo) to remember....2011 hurts
Gee I wonder how this poll will end up. Two hours after the game.
'92 to Dallas was brutal, especially after the bomb to Jerry was called back because of a "hold" '90 was bad because the Gary Reasons fake punt run and obviously the Craig fumble.