There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Potential 49ers Super Bowls that never happened.

Originally posted by Shaj:
Roger Craig fumble at end of NFC championship game at end of I don't know what year. Guaranteed SB down the toilet.

Ninerjohn brought up a good point in another thread. Had Craig not fumbled in the 1990 season NFC champ game and we won, and the Vikings not pulled the shocking upset in 87 when we were supposed to coast to another SB title, we couldve won 4 straight SB from 87-90.
OK first post here just came over from the other site that has the red zone, nice to be here. 1990 in my opinion was just about as painful as it can get for a Niner fan. The Championship game took more then the three peat away. I know we were all sick after the lose but what if you would have known that Joe Montana just played his last game for us (Except the 2nd half against Detriot in 92) or that Rodger Craig did as well(although I am sure you were mad at him) and it was Ronnie Lott's last game as a Niner too. About the Superbowl well if we would have beat the Giants....No Montana and Young was not the Young he would become yet and that was Buffalo's best team ever so I don't know if we win or not, not saying we lose for sure but it was not automatic. I hate the Giants so much I hope we somehow play them in the playoffs..anyway nice to here and look fwd to hanging out with the best fans in all of sports...

OH I forgot are we allowed to post links to 49er game downloads??
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
83 and 90 stick out because we were the best team both years. The Washington Establishment took it away from us in 83 and the fumble by Craig still hurts to this day because we would have been the only team to win 3 Super Bowls in a row. Also the 91 team that finished with a 10-6 record after winning the last 6 in row was the best team that year but a slow start cost us the playoffs. Steve Bono was great those last games. Have to add 87, I still have nightmares of Anthony Carter making a lifetime of circus catches in one game.

I remember that 91 season when the Niners were the hottest team at the end but it was too little too late, I remember during halftime in the last MNF game they were interviewing Darrel Green and someone else of the skins and they were asked what they were thankful for and Darrel laughed and said he was thankful that the 49ers didn't make it into the playoffs and they both laughed but you know he meant every word lol
Originally posted by BHulman:
In 83, two phantom pass interferences in the 4th cost Niners that game. Niners were completely robbed in that one. Personal for me.

The Skins may have got the game handed to them at the end but the 49ers still ruined their season, They were the best team during the reg season by far and broke the scoring record just killed the rams 52-7 I think in the divisional round and were chewing up the Niners for the first 3 quarters of that game and then something happened in the 4th, Joe and 49ers figured them out and really should of at least had the chance to get the win but a PI and A BS holding call on Lott took it away. The Skins were not the same after that lol and their cocky attitude was wiped away and the Raiders embarrassed them. Of course the next year we got another BS PI penalty that cost us the only loss but oh well i need to stop whining.
49ers could have easily won 4 Super Bowls in a row 87-90----we were huge favorites to win it all by 87 playoff time but were upset by the Vikings ( a team we stomped on in the playoffs in 88 and 89 as revenge) then 1990--the Montana injury/ Craig fumble.
I hate this thread
Joe Montana should've been put in the 2nd half (late 3rd qtr?) of the 1992 NFC-CG.....he could've nipped the Cowgirls 90s dynasty in the bud and pwned Aikman

Also,should've @ least kept Lott after the '90 season for D leadership....his departure precipitated Charles Haley's shattered trust in the front office/coaching and defection to the mentioned hated team from Dallas
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
I forget the year, but Steve Young was QB and the 9ers played Atlanta in the Playoffs. I thought they could have gone all the way but Garrison Hearst broke his ankle and they lost the game. Its like they were a different team when he went out.

Wasn't that 1998-1999?

Yes your right, I just looked it up. It was Jan 1999, coming off the 98 season. Hearst was a beast of a rb for the 9ers.
He was second in rushing to Jamal Anderson that year.........

Jamal Anderson...I hear that name and all I picture is him trucking Merton Hanks and carrying him into the endzone

haha i think of a guy doing cocaine off a urinal
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
dont make threads like this as we head into the playoffs!!! C'MON MAN!?!?!?!?!?!

so you're saying making this thread has ANYTHING to do with whats about to happen in the forthcoming postseason?

we havent seen the playoffs in a decade, anything that can be a possible jynx will be treated accordingly
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Joe Montana should've been put in the 2nd half (late 3rd qtr?) of the 1992 NFC-CG.....he could've nipped the Cowgirls 90s dynasty in the bud and pwned Aikman

Also,should've @ least kept Lott after the '90 season for D leadership....his departure precipitated Charles Haley's shattered trust in the front office/coaching and defection to the mentioned hated team from Dallas

Wow, I remember hoping that Joe would have gone in the 2nd half too.....imagine if he pulled it off??!

Very good info on this thread......learned a lot about those near miss teams.

You know, I think the powers above know when the time is right for an SF superbowl championship. Looking back I think some of us are a little too optimistic about winning every superbowl that we could have made. We'd be like the Cowboys 5-3 instead of what we are now...5-0.

BTW, the only game I recall of SF-Buffalo of that era we lost in the no punt game at the Stick.....
Originally posted by Niners99:
dont make threads like this as we head into the playoffs!!! C'MON MAN!?!?!?!?!?!

so you're saying making this thread has ANYTHING to do with whats about to happen in the forthcoming postseason?

we havent seen the playoffs in a decade, anything that can be a possible jynx will be treated accordingly

Somewhere out there are hundreds of fans of each playoff team making posts and blogs about a myriad of possible jynx topics, yet one of them will still win the SB this year.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
This is why I hate the cowboys, packers, and refs. We should have at least another 4 rings from the 90's.

I hate the Packers always beat the 49ers in playoff all the time.. Make me soo sick about Green Bay Packers!!! and sometime refs probably hate the 49ers.. i dislike it...
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
This is why I hate the cowboys, packers, and refs. We should have at least another 4 rings from the 90's.

I hate the Packers always beat the 49ers in playoff all the time.. Make me soo sick about Green Bay Packers!!! and sometime refs probably hate the 49ers.. i dislike it...

agreed, f**k the pack
  • Shemp
  • Veteran

yeah but don't forget, in the game where we beat the pack (The Catch II), Jerry Rice fumbled a ball and then caught it, and the refs never saw that. The Catch II should have never happened.
Originally posted by Shaj:

yeah but don't forget, in the game where we beat the pack (The Catch II), Jerry Rice fumbled a ball and then caught it, and the refs never saw that. The Catch II should have never happened.

No one forgets that, just no one cares after how many calls went their way in the 5 previous games. Even in the NFL Films version of that game, Steve Young said he couldn't care less and that we were owed 2 or 3 more.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM ]