LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 410 users in the forums

Week 16: Thoughts after re-watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Well written and thought out. I Love Goldson but he does miss tackles and takes poor angles. Vernon has been frustrating, I think Alex has to get on him.
Welcome back.

The 'zone is full of looneys, but we are all Niner fans and just want the team to be good again.
You're dead on WRT the Niners not panicking after taking the best shots Seattle had. That stability has served the team well all season...and it did again Saturday. Yeah, with Vernon you just hold your breath...but with Delanie out, he'll no doubt be targeted more. I'd like to see more screens, especially w/Hunter, but also use Gore that way, too. If they sign a vet like Chambers, and they win Sunday, he'd have a the better part of 3 weeks to learn enough of the offense to contribute. WRT Reuland, he's not just a blocking TE...he had a fairly prolific receiving career at Stanford, so Harbaugh/Roman already know he can contribute that way. BL: it'll be a team receiving effort...Alex will have to spread the ball around, use Vernon/Reuland, screens to Hunter/Gore, healthy WR's, etc. to keep the Rams off-balance.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
I really think Goldson's picks have been a result of lucky errant throws rather than actually being great in coverage. Rogers undercuts routes and gets his INTs in coverage. Goldson is just kind of in the right place at the right time when a really bad throw is made. Even his Big Ben pick was off of an errant pass - granted he did alright to shadow the TE, but if Ben is healthy, that's a coverage breakdown on the reception.

Starting to sway this way......

He really does take bad angles and is not that fast for a free saftey.
Two things I realized after skimming through this post: 1) Didn't read 2) There are some serious helmets in webzone.
That's all. Have a good day.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I had to rewind a few times to make sure. Iupati was on the right side next to Center.

As for Goldson, I think it's unfair to say he only wants the highlight reels. He actually broke down on that play to secure the tackle and didn't come flying in. The problem was that he was slightly faked to the inside and he should have protected the outside.
Time to invest in a DVD player? lol.

If Iupati was RG, and Snyder was next to him (I recall him helping get a push to make sure Gore got in), then who lined up at LG? Were they "unbalanced" with the guards, not the tackles? Very interesting.

Maybe Boone & Staley to the left, Goodwin at Center, and Iupati and Snyder to the right?
Originally posted by mannydawson:
Two things I realized after skimming through this post: 1) Didn't read 2) There are some serious helmets in webzone.

uh....huh?
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I had to rewind a few times to make sure. Iupati was on the right side next to Center.

As for Goldson, I think it's unfair to say he only wants the highlight reels. He actually broke down on that play to secure the tackle and didn't come flying in. The problem was that he was slightly faked to the inside and he should have protected the outside.
Time to invest in a DVD player? lol.

If Iupati was RG, and Snyder was next to him (I recall him helping get a push to make sure Gore got in), then who lined up at LG? Were they "unbalanced" with the guards, not the tackles? Very interesting.

Maybe Boone & Staley to the left, Goodwin at Center, and Iupati and Snyder to the right?

Yes, it was unbalanced. Check the NFL.com highlights at around 1:05 mark.

It was like this:

85 75 69 77 76 74
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 27, 2011 at 12:45 PM ]

to your point on Grant, Willis wouldn't have missed that tackled Larry missed on Skittles' TD run

and I agree on Goldson too

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

My thoughts exactly. I think it was an insult but it was so poorly done I'm not even sure.
VERY WELL WRITTEN POST
Nice...thank you. Agree with DG. When he turned left on the fake by Baldwin, I wanted to scream. Whoever is running, and sees him coming, knows that they have a good chance of getting by him...argh! With that said, I love watching him blow dudes out!
Goldson shouldn't be the one to blame for the Baldwin TD. Tarell Brown had a clear shot at Baldwin and didn't even bother to try and wrap him up. If you watched last night's "C'mon Man!" segment you would've seen this.
Originally posted by iLLEST209ER:
Goldson shouldn't be the one to blame for the Baldwin TD. Tarell Brown had a clear shot at Baldwin and didn't even bother to try and wrap him up. If you watched last night's "C'mon Man!" segment you would've seen this.

Yes, but I wasn't talking about just that play.
Share 49ersWebzone