There are 278 users in the forums

1981 49ers vs. 2011 49ers statistically

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Now for the differences:

1981-Joe Montana
2011-Alex Smith

I like Alex this year. He's done well... but he's not even within the same galaxy as Joe

lol watch Smith play in the postseason for the first time, and it turns out hes a totally different player in big time pressure, and he raises his game big time.

im mostly joking, but you never know. some players need the biggest pressure to perform their best. itll be interesting to see how Smith reacts to the magnitude of the playoffs.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BobS:
I don't think you can even come close to comparing the offenses, remember in 1981 the rules were a lot different, way more friendly to the defense. Joe Montana never had a 4,000 yard season, now 10 guys a year throw for that much. The 3500 passing yards in 1981 is like 4,500 today, and Alex Smith is barely going over 3,000. Don't get me wrong I am more than happy with an improved Alex Smith and our rookie head coach, both have done way better than I expected.

this
Now for the differences:

1981-Joe Montana
2011-Alex Smith

I like Alex this year. He's done well... but he's not even within the same galaxy as Joe

No one in their right mind would disagree with this. Their careers are not even comparable. And no one is saying that they are.

If you referring to Joe in 81 and Smith in 11 ONLY - without any context - the gap may be smaller.
Sorry folks, we are talking a lifetime of football. You cannot compare '81 to '11, the game is completely different. I know most of you
weren't around for that season, or were just a pup, but it truly was David VS Goliath in that NFC championship game.

My favorite quote, was something like:

Too Tall Jones to Montana - Do you realize you just beat America's team

Montana's respond - You can sit on the couch and watch the Superbowl like the rest of America.

Oh, and you really can't compare the two QBs, even at that stage in Montana's career. Montana had the ultimate confidence that only
rare (HOF QBs) have.
Now for the differences:

1981-Joe Montana
2011-Alex Smith

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
The bolded is the most startling. In an era where the defense doesn't have the advantage, 2011, we are allowing almost 2 points less per game then an era where defenses had the advantage.

WOW!

Good work.

great post! This defense deseves a nick name.
Now for the differences:

1981-Joe Montana
2011-Alex Smith

1981: Earl Cooper
2011: Frank Gore

Same arguement, different position. This is a different team in a different NFL. in 1981, passing the ball like the Niners did wasn't the norm. People thought you couldn't win that way. Fast Forward 30 years and the conventional thinking has flipped...as has the offensive approach of the 49ers.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM ]
I found another one...altho is applies to SF in 1984 instead if 1981.

Dan Marino set the all time passing record and lost to SF in the Super Bowl. Brees just broke that record and Brady could set it....and we couldn't play him till the Super Bowl.
Another funny fact about 1981; whilst Walsh was running his innovative system, he was running it 'very' conservative and balanced at that time (due to personnel limitations within the growing system).

Analysts labeled Bill Walsh's methods as "insane", and "inadequate" in formula-based playoff strategy (ring a bell), and touted teams like the Chargers and Bengals for their pass-first offenses; both leading the league in passing yards (49ers finished only 7th that year).
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Now for the differences:

1981-Joe Montana
2011-Alex Smith

No one in their right mind would disagree with this. Their careers are not even comparable. And no one is saying that they are.

If you referring to Joe in 81 and Smith in 11 ONLY - without any context - the gap may be smaller.

WOW . What a difference, literally. As for someone's initial comment about the numbers being eerily similar? There seems to be some odd 800 passing yards difference between the two seasons....hmmmmm. Isn't that referred to as a STARK DIFFERENCE rather than eerily similar? I mean, that is some odd 4(four) more games #11 would need to catch a VAPOR of JOE ALMIGHTY. That truly is 'just sayin.' Keep up the good work A Smith. We are pulling for you in one way or another. Afterall, it's 6-0 in the SB were after so that 81' altogether won't also be a STARK DIFFERENCE from 11.'

Now for the differences:

1981-Joe Montana
2011-Alex Smith

1981 (pre-HOF, pre-GOD, relative n00b) Joe Montana:

311/488 (63.7% comp); 3,565 yds; 19 TDs; 12 INTs; 88.4 Passer Rtg

2011 ("rejuvenated under Harbaugh") Alex Smith (as of wk 16):

253/415 (61.0% comp); 2,932 yds; 16 TDs; 5 INTs; 90.1 Passer Rtg

Originally posted by Ninergoldrush:
Now for the differences:

1981-Joe Montana
2011-Alex Smith

WOW . What a difference, literally. As for someone's initial comment about the numbers being eerily similar? There seems to be some odd 800 passing yards difference between the two seasons....hmmmmm. Isn't that referred to as a STARK DIFFERENCE rather than eerily similar? I mean, that is some odd 4(four) more games #11 would need to catch a VAPOR of JOE ALMIGHTY. That truly is 'just sayin.' Keep up the good work A Smith. We are pulling for you in one way or another. Afterall, it's 6-0 in the SB were after so that 81' altogether won't also be a STARK DIFFERENCE from 11.'

A eerily similar qb comparison would be alex smith to tom brady this yr to tom bradys first super bowl yr! Brady 18 tds 12 ints 86qb rating less yards then alex in 15 games! Alex 16 tds 1rush td 5 ints 90qb rating lil bit more passing yards! Both teams played balanced offense, great defence n sp teams with good coaching. 2011 niners to 2001 patriots! All patriots superbowl victories somewhat this formula.

N i know alex n tom are very different qbs!
Now for the differences:

1981-Joe Montana
2011-Alex Smith

nobody is within the same galaxy as joe
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
While the 2011 Niners can also finish 13-3, there is more to the similarity than just numbers. For example:

Signature, legitimizing, in-season win vs Steelers.
Situational pass rusher supreme (Fred Dean - Aldon Smith).
FS holdover plus 3 new DB starters (Fred Hicks and the Hot Licks, Lott, Wright, Williamson - Dashon Goldson, plus Rogers, Brown, Whitner).
Standout, money PK: Ray Wershing (near Super Bowl MVP) - David Akers

Scratch deeper and there are more such similarities.

1981: Run First league. Prevailing wisdom is that you have to run the ball to win. Niners win by passing.

2011: Pass First league. Prevailing wisdom is that you have to pass the ball to win. Niners win by running.

Not only that, but the uniqueness in the way we play a game, I've never seen a team put so much emphasis (maybe just been so successfully) being consist in the their special team play.

Also, forcing a turnover to end the game when the Cowboys in the '81 NFC championship game had the ball on the 49ers 45 with 30 seconds left and down by a point!

I just got finished watching the entire 1981 NFC Championship game and It had been a few years, but I was shocked at a lot things that really interest me now. But the one thing that really jumped out at me was when the Niners got their ball on their own 9 yard-line and they said something like "kind of hard to imagine how anyone can drive 89 yards against the Cowboys when the game was on the line." Made me think of how'd today they'd probably say, with the packers with the ball on their 9 yard line with 5 min. to go. "Kind of hard to imagine how anyone can stop the packers with 89 yards to go with the game on the line."
Originally posted by beaumontana:
Now for the differences:

1981-Joe Montana
2011-Alex Smith

nobody is within the same galaxy as joe

What galaxy is he in? He's not in the Milky Way?

You know, Joe's been deified for good reason in the zone, but Its like a SIN to put his and Alex's name in the same post.

Joe is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest QB to ever play the game. But If you're willing to attempt objectivity when watching highlights of joe, i encourage you to watch the ENTIRE '81 NFC championship game.

Joe actually had a very "inconsistent" game, THREE picks. Shoot, the whole team looked green, and they were, the dynastic was just having it's breakout party!

I saw at least 2 times he over-through receivers deep. Hear that, JOE over-through TWO wide open recievers deep.

I'm not making comparisons, I know it was 30 years ago and it was a different time and we have the convenience of hindsight to view it as nothing short of the big bang of the future of football and Joe Cool. I LOVE IT for that, and will parade that game and that pass n catch my entire life...

But... also being a current Niner fan, I'd like to point out the FORGOTTEN flaws of joe, to remind people who are so Hateful and hyper critical of Alex that Joe was a real human being and had bad games and made bad plays. I say this so that hopefully now that we've in the playoff you can enjoy the game instead of waiting for Alex to mess up and yell at him on the TV. Doesn't matter if you like him or not, just enjoy the game.

I'm not speaking to anyone here on the zone specifically, I just know there are a lot of fans out there (seems like there is at least one at every sports bar I've been to in the last few years) that just sits there waiting for Alex to miss a pass so they can wine and complain and get in everyones face about how he sucks, this fan doesn't get it. He doesn't appreciate or know a lot about football or respect the unknown.

It's playoff time baby! What will we be sayin' in 6 weeks?
Share 49ersWebzone