LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Cris Carter, on the niners defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SFranchise8081:
If there is a defense to beat the packers it is definitely us because we can apply pressure on Rodgers and force turnovers. However, I agree with Chris that this game wasn't truly convincing. Big Ben made bad throws and decisions due to his ankle, and for that reason he also couldn't avoid pressure. We took on a PITT team that wasn't 100%. That being said, we didn't just win this game we dominated. So we may have still won even if Ben was 100%.

Yeah, Big Ben and his ankle. What were Stafford, Vick and Manning's excuses? And people around here have called Alex Alexcuses. Who is making excuses now?
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the niners gotta prove it in the playoffs which they havent done, last two champs are saints and packers

Agree! We do have a good defense....not going to deny that....but we haven't played a "passing attack" offense yet. No offense in the league can even be compared to GB or NO. The only teams we played with a supposedly high scoring offense is Dallas and Detroit but those offenses don't even compare, maybe Dallas a little but Bryant didn't play in week 2.

So yeah....our defense still has to prove they can defend a high scoring offense. I do have confidence we can though.

This wouldn't even be an argument if our offense was consistant in the redzone.
[ Edited by Baldie on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Carter's reasoning is off but I'll admit I'm worried his conclusion is correct. Roethlisberger at 40% health threw for 330 yards and they were 8-14 on 3rd down conversions. Some of that was in garbage time, but for most of the game they moved the ball pretty well, only to be stymied by turnovers. I was actually surprised at how much credit our D has gotten for that performance. I hope they aren't giving themselves such glowing reviews, because there were flaws exposed that must be addressed. Yes, we have a fantastic D and I wouldn't trade it for any other D in the NFL, but the rules are so slanted in GB's and NO's favor that if those offenses bring their A game, it may take an exceptional D, the kind that only comes along a few times a decade, to hold them in the 20-24 pt. range
[ Edited by vaden on Dec 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Baldie:
the niners gotta prove it in the playoffs which they havent done, last two champs are saints and packers

Agree! We do have a good defense....not going to deny that....but we haven't played a "passing attack" offense yet. No offense in the league can even be compared to GB or NO. The only teams we played with a supposedly high scoring offense is Dallas and Detroit but those offenses don't even compare, maybe Dallas a little but Bryant didn't play in week 2.

So yeah....our defense still has to prove they can defend a high scoring offense. I do have confidence we can though.

Ya best defense in the league sucks
Originally posted by vaden:
Carter's reasoning is off but I'll admit I'm worried his conclusion is correct. Roethlisberger at 40% health threw for 330 yards and they were 8-14 on 3rd down conversions. Some of that was in garbage time, but for most of the game they moved the ball pretty well, only to be stymied by turnovers. I was actually surprised at how much credit our D has gotten for that performance. I hope they aren't giving themselves such glowing reviews, because there were flaws exposed that must be addressed. Yes, we have a fantastic D and I wouldn't trade it for any other D in the NFL, but the rules are so slanted in GB's and NO's favor that if those offenses bring their A game, it may take an exceptional D, the kind that only comes along a few times a decade, to hold them in the 20-24 pt. range

I agree to an extent of what you just said. I think we are too confident in the defense's ability to stop the pass. If we want to win the SB, we will have to defend well against passers like Brees and Rodgers.
The pass stats against the defense are a reflection of how much teams pass against the 49ers...when you can't run the ball at all, you have to pass all the time. At the end all that matters are points allowed.

As for Cris Carter...he is possibly the worst analyst out there right now. He reminds me of Sean Salisbury.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
The pass stats against the defense are a reflection of how much teams pass against the 49ers...when you can't run the ball at all, you have to pass all the time. At the end all that matters are points allowed.

As for Cris Carter...he is possibly the worst analyst out there right now. He reminds me of Sean Salisbury.

Salisbury was horrible. Has been nice not hearing from him in recent years.
Just because he is wearing a suit and on television people give him instant credability.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Culliver shut down megatron. He has great potential.

Lol no he didn't. Megatron had like 7 catches for 120 yards. He kept him out of the end zone which is great for a rookie, but he did not shut him down.
Originally posted by Baldie:

Yeah but what defenses have they played to prove their high scoring offense can slice through. I think the niners defense is in a different world compared to others. They've always kept the games close wich can make anything happen. Cheifs just played really good defense the day they beat green bay but we play that way on a normal basis if not better then they played. Just like you say niners have to prove to stop passing offenses they have to prove against an elite defense.

Originally posted by SFranchise8081:
If there is a defense to beat the packers it is definitely us because we can apply pressure on Rodgers and force turnovers. However, I agree with Chris that this game wasn't truly convincing. Big Ben made bad throws and decisions due to his ankle, and for that reason he also couldn't avoid pressure. We took on a PITT team that wasn't 100%. That being said, we didn't just win this game we dominated. So we may have still won even if Ben was 100%.

That's true, but we stopped the newly crowned elite QB Eli Manning fresh off of his victory over New England, so it evens out.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 23, 2011 at 1:18 PM ]
Anybody recall pre-game when Chris Berman was showing us some love against PIT?
I thought what made it even worse is that, no one corrected him!
Originally posted by vaden:
Most of those yrds are garbage yrds because they were getting smashed!
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Culliver shut down megatron. He has great potential.

Lol no he didn't. Megatron had like 7 catches for 120 yards. He kept him out of the end zone which is great for a rookie, but he did not shut him down.

um keeping the Best WR out of the endzone is shutting him down. Esp as a Rookie. Now for Carter, He just plain drunk. I will take a D that can give up 300 yds passing and 3 total points anytime. The point of the game is keeping people out of the endzone and we do that very well. Just because we havent faced GB or NO dosnt mean we havent faced a Passing attack team. The Whole NFC east minus Wash is passing teams. and we were 3-1 in that division. Yall need to stand up for this D because they are the s**t!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone