Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Most overrated player on the 49ers.

THIS.

"Outstanding angles" You're joking right? He constantly takes bad angles in both pass and run support. Just last week he undercut the path Baldwin was running and got totally lost in the play.

"Hits like a truck" Okay - true. He can hit like a truck. But he also whiffs on at LEAST one tackle per game! It drives me nuts.

"Ballhawk" Yeah - considering most of the picks he has are errant throws right to him. He goes up for passes and uses bad angles mentioned previously or completely misses.

Look, I would like him back at the right, low price. But even if he came back, one of our top 3 needs is FS through draft or FA.

You guys obviously don't watch football.... The guy is a ballhawk and a turnover machine. He was injured last year. 2 years ago he was really good. And great this year. He's been good before. He's really got a sense of where to be. He's always in the right place. You can't teach that or replace it.
you have got to be kidding

Put Reggie Smith in there and see how much you miss him. 6 turnovers goes down to ZERO. In fact more than 6 because he causes fumbles too with his hits. He's one reason for our very positive turnover ratio.

Most of his turnovers have been from tips and overthrows, not because he's a "ballhawk". Dude takes some horrid angles and always late that often not leaves our DBs hanging out to dry. He can lay the wood down... sometimes on his own teammates. He's having a good year, better than 09 and waaaay better than 2010 but he is not a safety i would want to break the bank on.

Most of his turnovers have been from tips and overthrows, not because he's a "ballhawk". Dude takes some horrid angles and always late that often not leaves our DBs hanging out to dry. He can lay the wood down... sometimes on his own teammates. He's having a good year, better than 09 and waaaay better than 2010 but he is not a safety i would want to break the bank on.

Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
I still disagree. He is a liability in coverage imo, as he takes horrible angles. He just isnt a safety i would want to back the truck up to and dump tons of money on. He's too inconsistent. Hes not worth top 5 money.

name 5 thats better then him.

really?

Reed
Polamalu
Berry
Weddle (this year)
Earl Thomas
Michael Griffin

I would take any of these over DG

throw in Bethea, a healthy Nick Collins and there, thats 7 without really trying

How do you think Ed Reed has came up with all his INTs 70% of them are tip balls or over throws. Thats what safeties do.
really?

Reed
Polamalu
Berry
Weddle (this year)
Earl Thomas
Michael Griffin

I would take any of these over DG

throw in Bethea, a healthy Nick Collins and there, thats 7 without really trying

LOL your just hatin' on him now. Reed and Troy are the only two having better seasons then Dashon.
Goldson belongs in the "Deltha O'Neal: INTs are cool cuz they show up in the box score and all my other terrible plays don't" club.

Why anyone would want to pay this kind of player close to 8 mil a year is beyond me.
Even if you say you'd take any of those 7 over Dashon, none of those 7 are avaliable to us this offseason so that makes Dashon more valuable . Do we let him go and start over with some chump from College since there's litterally no safeties better then him coming out or do we pay him 5-6 million next season, 6.2 for franchise tag? I wanna win now so I say fork out the cash to him.

How do you think Ed Reed has came up with all his INTs 70% of them are tip balls or over throws. Thats what safeties do.

Theres no safety better than Ed Reed when it comes to reading QBs, as well as fooling opposing QBs. Its not just about his INTS but look at his pass break ups. Trying to put DGs "hawking" skills in the same league as Ed Reed's is just insulting to Reed.

For all we know, they practice sitting behind the play to catch those over thrown balls or deflections?
Theres no safety better than Ed Reed when it comes to reading QBs, as well as fooling opposing QBs. Its not just about his INTS but look at his pass break ups. Trying to put DGs "hawking" skills in the same league as Ed Reed's is just insulting to Reed.

I didnt I just said that Ed Reed ends up with ALOT of tip balls. Saying Ed's tip balls are more skilled then Dashons are an insult to your knowledge of the sport.
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
Goldson belongs in the "Deltha O'Neal: INTs are cool cuz they show up in the box score and all my other terrible plays don't" club.

Why anyone would want to pay this kind of player close to 8 mil a year is beyond me.

Its 6.2 million not 8. Unless the top guys get renegotiated.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
For all we know, they practice sitting behind the play to catch those over thrown balls or deflections?

Kinda instinct some of them have it some dont but I guess that does come along during practice.
I'll admit he does try to lay the wood too much sometime and miss tackles but thats part of his game. Would you rather him no get any turnovers or FF's and just make 85 tackles and 15 pd's a season or force fumbles, make incredible ints and give up a few big plays all season? I'll take the latter myself, I guess we gotta see what the front office would rather have. Unless there's a unforseable upgrade to Dashon I dont see us letting him go.
LOL your just hatin' on him now. Reed and Troy are the only two having better seasons then Dashon.

Weddle is having a better year. And i would definitely take the other guys CAREER over DGs any day of the week. And franchising him means you(49ers) think he is a top 5 talent, which he is not IMO. Can you imagine a top 5 safety getting abused on that Baldwin play last week? He made Goldson look silly. Goldson takes horrible angles on receivers. And he's pretty careless when he tries to lay the wood. How many times has he NOT wrapped up this year? How many times has he taken out a teammate because he has his head lowered not looking at what he's hitting.

Even if you say you'd take any of those 7 over Dashon, none of those 7 are avaliable to us this offseason so that makes Dashon more valuable . Do we let him go and start over with some chump from College since there's litterally no safeties better then him coming out or do we pay him 5-6 million next season, 6.2 for franchise tag? I wanna win now so I say fork out the cash to him.

He walked away from a big contract the Niners were offering him last year to test the market (where he was humbled). What is gonna be his asking price now that he's got a pro bowl? 6 mil? 7? Way too much for him imo. If it came to that i would rather take a FS in the draft. I dont want to mortgage the future on an inconsistent safety and not be able to go after better FAs.
Its 6.2 million not 8. Unless the top guys get renegotiated.

I'm not talking about the Franchise tag .. I'm talking about what he's eventually going to expect in a long term contract.
Weddle is having a better year. And i would definitely take the other guys CAREER over DGs any day of the week. And franchising him means you(49ers) think he is a top 5 talent, which he is not IMO. Can you imagine a top 5 safety getting abused on that Baldwin play last week? He made Goldson look silly. Goldson takes horrible angles on receivers. And he's pretty careless when he tries to lay the wood. How many times has he NOT wrapped up this year? How many times has he taken out a teammate because he has his head lowered not looking at what he's hitting.

He walked away from a big contract the Niners were offering him last year to test the market (where he was humbled). What is gonna be his asking price now that he's got a pro bowl? 6 mil? 7? Way too much for him imo. If it came to that i would rather take a FS in the draft. I dont want to mortgage the future on an inconsistent safety and not be able to go after better FAs.

There's gotta be an answer to it, what free safety would you draft? There's none worth signing in Free Agency as far as I can see. SO it'd be Reggie Smith or a drafted player.
Share 49ersWebzone